Non - Winter Shortages

It's clearly you who has trouble with looking at things objectively. We have the RHA spelling out the issues in their letter, brexit is an issue but far from the largest cause of the driver shortages. If it was you wouldn't have exactly the same problem in Ireland would you?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...tages-could-disrupt-supply-of-goods-1.4677172

Kind of

The industry has struggled to cope with the retirement of older drivers and an absence of younger ones entering the profession for several years, while the pandemic and post-Brexit transport delays and red tape have exacerbated the problem.

So a particular problem can only be caused by one issue?

I know your entire Brexit world view is informed by your cousin but come on... ;-)

This to me? I mean it's the exact opposite of what I've been arguing this entire thread. It's also the opposite of the content of all the links I've posted too.

Kind of

The industry has struggled to cope with the retirement of older drivers and an absence of younger ones entering the profession for several years, while the pandemic and post-Brexit transport delays and red tape have exacerbated the problem.

It also says a huge number of non-irish drivers haven't returned since they left during Covid. Clearly the uncertainty has led to EU drivers not returning to the UK or Ireland.

Yet? Who knows what the coming months will hold, for all. Seems it's going to be quite bumpy around the world in various sectors. There were petrol queues in the US earlier in the summer due to their own supply issues. The world economy is stretched thin right now.

But to answer to the obvious question - We don't have enough HGV drivers. And tanker drivers I gather are some of the most skilled / sought after. Neither does the EU have enough HGV drivers. So pinching some EU drivers doesn't really solve the issue.

It's a problem we (UK gov and private sector) could do with sorting ourselves, be it through market correction or central policy or a bit of both.
The answer is to let anyone have a go driving an artic.

Can't be that difficult

Because you are unable to have a sensible discussion with me.

We have a series of problems at the moment, food shortages, fisheries, farming, among others, and now petrol but, according to the people in the Sunny Uplands, they have nothing to do with Brexit and then they pull out examples of where others are having problems too, without really relating it too our circumstances. (The US problem with petrol shortages is a good example)

Yes, other countries are having SOME issues, I agree, but those with their head in the sand, like you, will not under any circumstances accept that the majority of our problems are about Brexit with a little bit of Covid thrown in.

We seem to be the ONLY country, please prove me wrong if you can, who has ALL the issues at the moment. Surely even you can see that it has to be Brexit causing this. Covid is NOT a valid excuse although this corrupt government would have everyone believe that it is, even if they had done a good job curbing the virus, which they haven't.

So, if you want to have a serious discussion tell me why you think Brexit is going so well and how I am wrong about so much. Please do not use government spokes people to justify your points as we all know they wouldn't know the truth if it smacked them in the face, they poured orange juice all over themselves and they gave all the extra money they have earnt through Brexit and Covid, which is enormous, to their grandmother's favourite charity.

Off the top of my head I know that India and Sri Lanka have food, farming and energy problems currently unfortunately, because my work involves folk who have ties to those countries. Likewise their problems can be pointed at Covid but with numerous other factors involved. South Africa also springs to mind.

Their challenges and circumstances are obviously different from ours. I would agree with you that Brexit touches on all these areas for us, where I disagree is that Brexit is the root cause and that in a hypothetical non Brexit world, that these issues wouldn't be there. Looking around the world shows that to be incorrect, far as I can see.

We are all connected to a global economy suffering from demand and supply issues as we navigate through Covid. As a result everyone has very little headroom currently to ride out any challenges they face, the whole economic system is spread thin.

So the EU have challenges, some of which we share through proximity (Ireland's drivers above a good example). Navigating Brexit and learning to work with the EU post Brexit is our specific challenge. One that I think is worthwhile, but that you do not think is worthwhile. We can disagree about that and that's ok.

I have listed out my reasoning and some early successes to you before, but all you do is ask me to list them out again and again without actually discussing them, and you do similar with SDD. It gets a tad frustrating.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I know that India and Sri Lanka have food, farming and energy problems currently unfortunately, because my work involves folk who have ties to those countries. Likewise their problems can be pointed at Covid but with numerous other factors involved. South Africa also springs to mind.

Their challenges and circumstances are obviously different from ours. I would agree with you that Brexit touches on all these areas for us, where I disagree is that Brexit is the root cause and that in a hypothetical non Brexit world, that these issues wouldn't be there. Looking around the world shows that to be incorrect, far as I can see.

We are all connected to a global economy suffering from demand and supply issues as we navigate through Covid. As a result everyone has very little headroom currently to ride out any challenges they face, the whole economic system is spread thin.

So the EU have challenges, some of which we share through proximity (Ireland's drivers above a good example). Navigating Brexit and learning to work with the EU post Brexit is our specific challenge. One that I think is worthwhile, but that you do not think is worthwhile. We can disagree about that and that's ok.

I have listed out my reasoning and some early successes to you before, but all you do is ask me to list them out again and again without actually discussing them, and you do similar with SDD. It gets a tad frustrating.

But you weren't able to answer this question were you? (Just to remind you)

We seem to be the ONLY country, please prove me wrong if you can, who has ALL the issues at the moment. Surely even you can see that it has to be Brexit causing this.?

It's a bit frustrating for me (and others too, I think) that you (and SDD) are so committed to Brexit that you can't see any of the faults and the looming disasters caused by it. and no, you are right, I can see NO positives in it, at all.

I am still trying to understand that post Brexit, 20,000 EU lorry drivers went home.
But it's not Brexit's fault, it's the shortage of lorry drivers?

But you weren't able to answer this question were you? (Just to remind you)

We seem to be the ONLY country, please prove me wrong if you can, who has ALL the issues at the moment. Surely even you can see that it has to be Brexit causing this.?

It's a bit frustrating for me (and others too, I think) that you (and SDD) are so committed to Brexit that you can't see any of the faults and the looming disasters caused by it. and no, you are right, I can see NO positives in it, at all.

Not one to jump in but whilst it appears we have all the issues there’s a Co2 crisis in Europe too impacting on supplies and making bills rocket. Likewise Germany and Poland (could also be others) are experiencing HGV driver shortages. Whilst it’s hard to deny covid and Brexit haven’t helped we aren’t the only country with these sort of issues.

I am still trying to understand that post Brexit, 20,000 EU lorry drivers went home.

There was a survey of what’s caused the HGV shortage amongst those in the industry. No 1 reason was drivers retiring, 2nd was Brexit.

4B3C618B-960E-45E6-A7B4-20C9CBA471AB.jpeg

Not one to jump in but whilst it appears we have all the issues there’s a Co2 crisis in Europe too impacting on supplies and making bills rocket. Likewise Germany and Poland (could also be others) are experiencing HGV driver shortages. Whilst it’s hard to deny covid and Brexit haven’t helped we aren’t the only country with these sort of issues.

You are right, other countries are having some issues but to repeat what I said before.

We seem to be the ONLY country, please prove me wrong if you can, who has ALL the issues at the moment.

Others don't seem to have queues at petrol stations or empty shelves or fish going rotten due to paperwork issues or vegetables going rotten in the ground.

Brexit is part of the cause yet doesn't seem to be the main issue. Ireland has the same issue with foreign drivers not returning post Covid.

You are right, other countries are having some issues but to repeat what I said before.

We seem to be the ONLY country, please prove me wrong if you can, who has ALL the issues at the moment.

Others don't seem to have queues at petrol stations or empty shelves or fish going rotten due to paperwork issues or vegetables going rotten in the ground.

Unless I google ‘meat shortages in Lithuania’ or ‘petrol shortages in Albania’ we are very unlikely to find out as it wouldn’t make the news here, likewise I doubt our issues are making the 6pm news in Macedonia.

;