Ollie Norris

Norris......what a competitor in Cherry Red! My dad spoke of him often...said he didn't exactly take the field with a basketful of dahlias and hand them out to the opposition before kick off !

I must tell you about an emotional Irishman for whom the FA Cup is so full of nostalgia that he'll be in tears if he reads this. No, not Harry Gregg and no, not Derek Dougan, though both can be excused some moistness around the eyes. This particular Irishman sits in his Melbourne home surrounded by newspaper cuttings from 1957 with sepia photographs of a broken goalpost and himself as a curly-haired inside forward trying to stop Danny Blanchflower taking throw-ins by jumping up and down in front of him.

Unless you're an AFC Bournemouth nut or a collector of bizarre miscellanea, the name Ollie Norris will float over your head. It did mine until I had the good fortune to find his telephone number and hear snippets of his picaresque life related in a colourful accent which owed as much to Australia as to Ulster. It wasn't vanity that persuaded Ollie to dig out his memorabilia. He was simply responding to a publisher's suggestion that if he needed money to visit his family abroad, then an autobiography might be a good way of earning it.

It's slow going. The 50th anniversary of Ollie's part in Bournemouth's epic quarter-final against Manchester United passed almost unnoticed on Saturday and the 76-year-old has only written three pages. "Are you trying to do it in rhyming couplets?" I asked. "No," he laughed, "there's so much to tell, I don't know where to begin." Writer's block eh?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2309066/How-Ollie-jumped-at-chance-of-fame.html

Opening second of this game.

Superb Billy !
That cup run was always talked about when I started following Bournemouth, probably up until we knocked utd out in 84 it was our pinnacle and Ollie Norris legendary - was he the player who bounced up and down in front of oppo throw ins ?
Those subtitles by the way !

Superb Billy !
That cup run was always talked about when I started following Bournemouth, probably up until we knocked utd out in 84 it was our pinnacle and Ollie Norris legendary - was he the player who bounced up and down in front of oppo throw ins ?
Those subtitles by the way !

My first game was the Man U game against the Busby Babes the round after this piece below. Not sure if you read it on the link.

Would a player get away with it now?

Dean Court was practically asphyxiated as upwards of 26,000 seasiders stood ribcage to ribcage for the fifth-round visit of Spurs. Ollie Norris was the decisive factor in Boscombe's heroic 3-1 win. The play-anywhere Irishman decided to target Danny Blanchflower, whose long throws were a feature of Spurs' attacking play. The strategy was brilliant in its simplicity. Ollie jumped up and down in front of the Spurs captain, cutting off his distribution outlets and making his fellow countryman livid.

Norris recalls: "The first time I did it, Danny told me to bugger off. Then he asked the referee to intervene but was advised that there was nothing in the rules to stop me." By the second half, he was jumping up and down in front of the Spurs goalkeeper, Ted Ditchburn, and anything else that moved. He also scored Boscombe's first goal and laid on the second, securing his five minutes of stardom.

Watched the video, but see it in the link now,
Probably not these days, doubt you'd get away with jumping up an down in front of a throw in !
Bit of Bournemouth folklore, before my time but all part of our rich history

.And Burton and Swindon and Accrington, not to forget Wolves etc.
And 'we wuz robbed' against MU - nothing new about refs favouring big clubs - of course my memory may be slightly cherry tinted.
Does anyone remember the Burton 'keeper who had the misfortune to let in 8 (or was it 9?)- his size was very roughly equivalent to 2 Tommy Godwins.
Back to Ollie Norris - did he get a hat trick against Burton? Vaguely recall someone did - if not Ollie then must have been Newsham.
If there's a Mike Finlay out there reading this - sorry for getting us sacked from the school football team for going to Swindon.

.And Burton and Swindon and Accrington, not to forget Wolves etc.
And 'we wuz robbed' against MU - nothing new about refs favouring big clubs - of course my memory may be slightly cherry tinted.
Does anyone remember the Burton 'keeper who had the misfortune to let in 8 (or was it 9?)- his size was very roughly equivalent to 2 Tommy Godwins.
Back to Ollie Norris - did he get a hat trick against Burton? Vaguely recall someone did - if not Ollie then must have been Newsham.
If there's a Mike Finlay out there reading this - sorry for getting us sacked from the school football team for going to Swindon.

Norris 3 and Newsham 2 of the goals.

So you got a full house that season in the Cup.

No as you can see on the link, never a penalty.

Unfortunately the referee thought differently. :grinning:

;