Our injuries...

langham

First Team
The one table where we’re top of the PL is the current injuries. Now Danjuma and H Wilson out - no sooner do we get one back (King) than two more go down.

Am I correct? ... Smith, S Cook, Ake, Daniels, Kelly, Brooks, H Wilson, C Wilson, Danjuma, poss King. Are there others? The cumulative total for the season - long term injuries - must be a record for the PL. The only first-choice players I can think of who’ve avoided long-term injury are Ramsdale, Lerma and Billing.

Once again the training regime surely needs to be re-assessed. When elite athletes are involved, minor problems with training technique or “over-training” affecting joints, ligaments, and key muscles such as the hamstring, can be damaging. Why at AFCB, why not Liverpool, Man City or others where many more games are played in Euro competitions?

We’ve had freakish injuries such as S Cook’s recent break but most seem to be ankles, knees and muscle damage. Time for a change of regime?

...whatever?...let's just get on with playing the games, work hard, and we will achieve no matter what the team. Those players who stepped up to pull on the shirt at Stamford Bridge managed a great team performance and got the result we needed....not down to individuals but pure team spirit. No need to put any dampers on it this Monday morning!!!!

EDDIE Howe described as a “huge blow” the loss of Arnaut Danjuma to injury and insisted: “We are thinking of him at the moment.”

The Cherries winger has suffered a stress fracture in his foot, which kept him out of Saturday’s 1-0 success at Chelsea.

Danjuma, a £13.7million summer signing from Club Brugge, also picked up a foot problem during a pre-season contest against Lyon back in August.

Clarifying the Dutchman’s latest injury setback, Howe told the Daily Echo: “It’s a recurrence of a stress fracture he had from pre-season but in a different foot.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...juma-very-down-suffering-another-foot-injury/

EDDIE Howe revealed winger Harry Wilson would be sent for assessment at parent club Liverpool this week after suffering a “strange” injury to his leg.

The Wales international was not able to feature in Saturday’s 1-0 success at Chelsea due to the ongoing problem.

Wilson is the Dorset club’s top scorer this season, with six goals from 14 games in the top flight.

Asked for an update on the Wrexham-born star’s injury, Howe told the Daily Echo: “Harry’s is a strange one. He suffered a knock on his leg, a dead leg.

“But it’s swelled up and the swelling keeps returning.

“We are going to probably get him back to Liverpool this week and hope he can be back very soon.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...ked-parent-club-liverpool-strange-injury-leg/

People are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that players should never get injured in training.
They would never be capable of playing in matches if they only took part in completely risk-free training sessions.

Seems everyone is looking for sinister reasons to every issue the club has. Keeper has a poor game then neil moss gets it, team loses its Eddie's tactics, injuries then we overtrain! Unfortunately **************** happens, I think in our championship winning season we had very few injuries, since weve had our fair share of ACLs not sure you can do anything about that.
Steve cook was a freak accident, Adam smith clobbered in a game, it's a physical sport!
But hey let's blame the clubs methods

Can we just copy and paste the responses from all the other threads on this subject.....it's Monday morning...not sure I've got the energy to start again.

Not a very helpful response Farrier, when the problem returns time and again.

I took the trouble to enquire with a senior sports doctor who supports AFCB and who thinks these spates of injuries are out of the ordinary and require a critical assessment. He thinks it odd that so many problems with joints and ligaments are occurring when sports medicine focuses specifically on avoiding them. We’ve got a whole team out of action - it’s cause for concern.

I took the trouble to enquire with a senior sports doctor who supports AFCB and who thinks these spates of injuries are out of the ordinary and require a critical assessment. He thinks it odd that so many problems with joints and ligaments are occurring when sports medicine focuses specifically on avoiding them. We’ve got a whole team out of action - it’s cause for concern.

Ask your mate if, in his professional opinion, there is any way on God's green earth that AFCB are not looking at this issue critically when each injury effectively costs hundreds of thousands of pounds and the potential impact runs into hundreds of millions of pounds?

Ten first team out. One more and it will be a clean sweep.

Mr Picky replies:

I wondered about that when the commentator said it on Saturday....we have got Lerma, Ramsdale, King, Fraser and Lewis Cook playing. Would they not all be in a first XI?

I'm not saying the injury crisis isn't appalling, we are down to the bare bones, but I think we can at least muster a 5-a-side team.....

Of course its concerning, but of the current crop how many are joints and ligaments.
Ake, Wilson - hamstring.
Cook and Danjuma - fractures.
Wilson - dead leg complication.
Smith, Brooks and Kelly - all injured in tackles.

Unfortunately sh.t happens and other teams also get problems. Norwich had virtually a whole team missing not long back, Palace the same when Hodgson took over. You just have to hope your back up players can respond and thankfully they did on saturday.
As SJL says surely the club look at stuff like this - I believe EH said as much earlier on this season.

I don't think we really have a nailed-on, starting XI.
Realistically, we probably have about 18-20 or so players who can all perform well at PL level, and who at different times, we'd all want in our starting XI.
So we had something like 9 injuries before the Chelsea game, yet looking at our starting lineup, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to change things up much even if everyone had been fit (forgetting about Brooks for the moment).
Some would probably have swapped out Mepham and Francis for Ake and Cook, but apart from that, who would you really want to change?

Ask your mate if, in his professional opinion, there is any way on God's green earth that AFCB are not looking at this issue critically when each injury effectively costs hundreds of thousands of pounds and the potential impact runs into hundreds of millions of pounds?

Yes Derek, I’ve discussed it with him at length. He’s treated many pro footballers for career-threatening injuries - including some of our former stars. He’s puzzled as to why year after year we get spates of injuries, often early in the season. His best guess is that intensive pre-seasons (Eddie keen to get off to a flying start) push our players to the limit and they’re more prone to damage from twisting, stretching and collisions. Seems plausible to me.

As SJL says surely the club look at stuff like this - I believe EH said as much earlier on this season.
And before that in seasons past when we were being asked about the number of ACL injuries !!!

These things are constantly being reviewed and analysed. If there is anything we can do to minimise injuries, you can be sure we are already doing it.

As your list shows, this season we have had a mixture of different types of injuries and no one type of injury to indicate any sort of a trend.

These things are bound to happen if our players are giving 100% in games and whether we have more or less such injuries in any one season appears to be largely down to luck IMO.

I must admit though that I can't wait for us to have a season where everybody manages to stay available for selection for most of the season. It just might not happen for a good few years yet.

Yes Derek, I’ve discussed it with him at length. He’s treated many pro footballers for career-threatening injuries - including some of our former stars. He’s puzzled as to why year after year we get spates of injuries, often early in the season. His best guess is that intensive pre-seasons (Eddie keen to get off to a flying start) push our players to the limit and they’re more prone to damage from twisting, stretching and collisions. Seems plausible to me.

That doesn't really answer my point other than to confirm that, for all his expertise, your mate hasn't really got a clue what the problem is because he's not working with them. If he was he wouldn't be speculating on the causes.

As I say, you should ask him if it's conceivable that AFCB are just leaving all these things to chance and don't employ people in your mate's field who actually do know what the issues are.

There seems to be a tenancy to assume people are complete idiots. Most of us on here don't know the ins and outs of injuries and their causes (with Neil being the obvious exception ;)) but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that employing the best medical staff will be cost effective when it comes to injuries. It's inconceivable that they wouldn't do this as I'm sure your mate would agree.

;