Our playing style next season

KingKieffer

Star Player
So how do people think we are going to approach the season ahead given the substantial increase in quality of opponent?

Last season we favoured a methodical style with gradual build up play and patient probing to create scoring opportunities, Parker himself even alluded to trying to create the perfect scoring opportunity.

During the run in it was quite noticeable that we added an extra element of unpredictability to our game, at times adopting a more direct and fast paced style in place of the patient probing. Parker also showed an increased willingness to deviate from his preferred starting system in the final few weeks, the most noticeable example being when he changed formation at half time vs Notts Forest with the game on a knife edge. A back three including Adam Smith, with Anthony at right wing back and Solanke as a wide forward surprisingly produced one of our best performances of the season given the nature of the occasion and standard of opponent. So we do have the option to vary our system too, perhaps the extra defensive solidity this provided could prove vital considering we are likely to enjoy less of the ball most weeks?

I’d be surprised personally if the possession orientated approach we often went with last year would garner much success. I also don’t believe that Parker will either, it’s only really a style that can work if you possess more gifted players than your opponent and I am sure that he is aware of this. I can see the 2nd half performance vs Forest becoming more the norm next season, more of an onus on playing directly and looking to exploit spaces that our left upon transition. Will be interesting to find out either way!!

I guess the opposition will be showing us a lot less respect than we were getting at times in the championship… could be exploited?
Im not sure anything too radically different is such a good idea, build on what’s there as I would imagine that’s our best chance of getting a level of performance worthy of some results.
As for tactics :acid:

;