Our squad player for player....

bigfatolly

Star Player
Just looking at our squad in the program and what each one brings to the starting 11 and bench,how they have done this season,and their future at the club.

1 Artur Boruc- not featured at all in the League,but still a good back up number 2 or 3 keeper,I would be happy if he got another year- IN Squad Player

2 Simon Francis-patchy season by his standards,I don't think he is a good right back any more,and probably behind S Cook and Ake now as a centre back.I don't think he is a good leader as captain,but again,would be a good backup squad player if we recruited in his position -IN Squad Player

3 Steve Cook- again a patchy season compared to last year but I think he is getting a good understanding with Ake,and despite the bedwetting over his mistake yesterday,I think he should be our captain going forward -IN Starting 11

4 Dan Gosling- Very up and down season,didn't feature at all at the start,but his inclusion coincided with a good run after Christmas that gleaned a lot of points.Out of all our centre mids he scores a few goals,but ultimately going forward I don't think he is good enough as regular starter in this league - IN Squad Player

5 Nathan Ake-He has had a great season and is the jewel in our squad ,a shoe in for Player of the Year,and the only question is can we keep hold of him beyond this summer.We should build the team around him -IN Starting 11

6 Andrew Surman-Started the season fairly well and bagged his first two Premier League goals for us before losing his place after Christmas.Still a quality player but for me,too slow and not enough in his locker going forward to be a regular starter.A good player to have in the squad and dressing room-IN Squad Player

7 Marc Pugh- I love Marc,absolute club legend,but I think this has been one season too many in this league,his lack of pace and engine has really showed this season and at his age I think he needs to drop down a league to finish his career and get regular starts.I think he is out of contract too,sorry Pughy,thanks for your service OUT

8 Harry Arter- I really don't know what's gone on this season,if it's psychological,injuries,or he has just fell out of favour with Eddie.He started the season as a regular,but lost his place after Christmas after a lot of poor performances. I want him to stay and have a fresh start,but we do need to recruit in this position.A fit and firing Harry is what I want to see-IN Squad Player

9 Benik Afobe-A really poor season and lost confidence after plenty of chances and no goals or memorable performances.He then made questionable comments in the media after joining Wolves on loan OUT

10 Max Gradel- Hasn't featured all season,and couldn't break in last season.For whatever reason,Eddie hasn't been able to get the best from him so it's best if he moves on OUT

11 Charlie Daniels - Started the season well but despite starting every game looks leggy and off pace now in this league and his lack of pace getting back has been exposed many times.We really need a quality recruit in this position,still worth keeping as back up -IN Squad Player

12 Aaron Ramsdale-Not started a game yet and obviously one for the future,currently out on loan,will need the same again for his development -OUT LOAN

13 Callum Wilson-Admirably forced his way back in to the team after his injury,but has been very up and down,and has not scored since Chelsea.Still has a lot to offer and well worth keeping but I think he will be in and out unless his form improves -IN Starting 11/Squad Player

14 Brad Smith-Hasn't forced his way in,and hasn't inmpressed in his cup cameos.He is still young and can improve,but I think he needs a Chmpionship loan to gain confidence -OUT LOAN

15 Adam Smith - I think he has had a good season generally,and has really been missed since his injury,again I think we need to recruit in this position but he would be my number one right back -IN Starting 11

16 Lewis Cook- Started the season on the bench,but took his chance when he got it and has played the most Premier League minutes of all our centre mids .Another jewel in our squad and needs equal quality around him- IN Starting 11

17 Josh King- A poor season by the standards he set last season but to be fair,he rarely plays in his best position.Has still scored goals despite this and is still young and can improve further -IN Starting 11

18 Jermaine Defoe-Again I don't think we have used Jermaine in the right way,but he has scored important goals that have gained points. Still well worth keeping as the young players can learn from him -IN Squad Player /Starting 11

19 Junior Stanislas-a real enigma as he is so inconsistent and is regularly injured.Has a good strike rate for a winger and I think he is our best winger now.First winger on the team sheet for me if fit-IN Starting 11

22 Emerson Hyndman-another for the future but hasn't forced his way onto the bench this season and has underwhelmed in the Cups.Needs games so OUT LOAN

23 Connor Mahoney-looked a good acquisition pre season and is another for the future.As Hyndman,needs to play to develop so OUT LOAN

24 Ryan Fraser -patchy season but has been played out of position.Has scored goals when used correctly and I think is our second best winger. IN Starting 11

26 Tyrone Mings-injured for most of the season,will he ever get fit and develop? I certainly hope so as he is versatile and could claim a left back or centre back position.
IN Squad Player /Starting 11

27 Asmir Begovic- I think generally he has had a good season,despite the odd mistake he has kept us in a lot of games and will be number one going forward.
IN Starting 11

29 Rhoys Wiggins-obviously bought in as cheap back up but has never started or been on the bench.Had a bad injury on loan at Birmingham and may be out of contract OUT

31 Lys Mousset-for me has been this seasons success story and has been a real impact sub,bagging his first Premier League goals,much more to come and he is young,well done Lys -IN Starting 11/Squad Player

32 Adam Federici- Not featured this season and seems to be number 4 keeper now,nearly left for Forest but got injured OUT

33 Jordon Ibe- Our most frustrating player,he has improved,he also has bagged his first goals from us,but for me too inconsistent to start every game but young and well worth keeping - IN Starting 11/squad player

38 Bailey Cargill-Looked Promising but has fallen behind Jack Simpson now and I can't see him getting in the team going forward OUT

41 Jack Simpson-A surprise inclusion and took his chance well in cup appearances,one for the future,may need a loan to develop -IN Squad Player /LOAN

NO SQUAD NUMBER

Lewis Grabban- a great season in the Championship,scoring many goals but ultimately no future here OUT

So there you have it,our squad laid bare,in my opinion we need six players in the summer to replace those I have predicted will leave,and to increase competition in positions that are very light.

Can Eddie and our scouting team find the right recruits going forward?

Only time will tell......

Sorry but I think Howe needs to be more ruthless I feel that means going down next season. We have seen both Leicester and Burnley come back stronger from going down?

Players who I think we should be looking to move on are:

Simon Francis
Marc Pugh
Charlie Daniels
Andrew Surman
Dan Gosling
Ryan Alsopp
Lewis Grabban
Benin Afobe
Harry Arter
Bailey Cargill
Adam Federici
Rhoys Wiggins
Ben Whitfield
Max Gradel

Players who need to be loaned:

Hyndman
Mahoney
Ramsdale
Worthington
Butcher
Matthews
Surridge

Players to keep:

Mings
Cook S
Cook L
Smith B
Smith A
Fraser
Ibe
Stanislas
Mousset
King
Wilson
Defoe
Begovic
Boruc
Ake
Simpson

Even in Football Manager you can’t just get rid of players as easily as some are suggesting EH does with our players! Someone has to want to buy them, and the player himself has to be prepared to accept what the new club wants to pay him.

As much as we all agree we need to strengthen in certain areas. There isn’t going to be a mass clear out of contracted players. I’d be amazed too if more than 3 or 4 first team players came in this summer.

I’d agree with relegating the likes of Daniels, Francis and Gosling to squad players. But getting rid all together isn’t going to happen.

I think we're fine up front and on the wings, but we do need at least a central midfielder and a LB that are going to come in and be part of the first 11, plus probably a right back as well to compete with Smith.

Assuming we're expecting Mings back fully fit next season, I think we're good with Ake/Cook/Mings/Francis for CB's. I wouldn't mind another right footed CB though.

I can't see much else changing.

Even in Football Manager you can’t just get rid of players as easily as some are suggesting EH does with our players! Someone has to want to buy them, and the player himself has to be prepared to accept what the new club wants to pay him.

As much as we all agree we need to strengthen in certain areas. There isn’t going to be a mass clear out of contracted players. I’d be amazed too if more than 3 or 4 first team players came in this summer.

I’d agree with relegating the likes of Daniels, Francis and Gosling to squad players. But getting rid all together isn’t going to happen.

Yes,no way will Eddie just get rid,they will just be eased into the background like with Elphick,Surman and Pugh.

One of the younger players who will be going according to this.

Solent
CHERRIES: After his hat-trick for loan club @EastleighFC today, Sam Matthews told us he was being released by #AFCB this summer.

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/so-many-questions.5815/

This from COWS re our loan players

This performance was on top of Matthews winning Eastleigh’s Player of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season for this campaign.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/loan-watch-matthews-stars-for-eastleigh

Last edited:

;