Our strongest 11…

Don’t understand why everyone is picking Lerma ahead of Pearson. Pearson may be the more unfashionable pick but he is the better player, performs exactly the same role but just better.
Because they don't think Pearson is a better player presumably.

2 seasons in the Prem, in which we were pretty dire the entire time. Playing for his country isn’t relevant really, if he was English like Pearson then he wouldn’t be playing internationally. To me it’s just pretty obvious that Pearson is the better player.

Thats fine and you’re entitled to that opinion but I’d just love to know what stats make it so obvious? Playing for your country is also relevant. Columbia have a massive pool of players to choose from like England. Pearson has never played above the championship and has only made a handful of appearances at England youth level.

2 seasons in the Prem, in which we were pretty dire the entire time. Playing for his country isn’t relevant really, if he was English like Pearson then he wouldn’t be playing internationally. To me it’s just pretty obvious that Pearson is the better player.

presumably you missed quite a few of his performances then, including the Chelsea away game in 2019?
which is strange as you claim to have some sort of encyclopedic football memory, or does that only apply to steve cook? lol

presumably you missed quite a few of his performances then, including the Chelsea away game in 2019?
which is strange as you claim to have some sort of encyclopedic football memory, or does that only apply to steve cook? lol
He put in some good performances in the Prem, never said he didn’t. Said that in general since he signed the team as a whole has been poor, not his fault admittedly. Just think Pearson is the better player, especially in the championship. In this league and under Parker we’re going to be expected to dominate the ball, Jeff is not the type you want for a possession based team. He is the type of midfielder you want for a counter attacking team. Pearson is much better on the ball imo.

He put in some good performances in the Prem, never said he didn’t. Said that in general since he signed the team as a whole has been poor, not his fault admittedly. Just think Pearson is the better player, especially in the championship. In this league and under Parker we’re going to be expected to dominate the ball, Jeff is not the type you want for a possession based team. He is the type of midfielder you want for a counter attacking team. Pearson is much better on the ball imo.

Pearson has an eye for a great creative pass but equally I think Lerma is better at winning the ball back. Swings and roundabouts. Lerma edges it for me as I’ve seen him more although the top of stand advertising hoardings at DC prefer Pearson.

Pearson has an eye for a great creative pass but equally I think Lerma is better at winning the ball back. Swings and roundabouts. Lerma edges it for me as I’ve seen him more although the top of stand advertising hoardings at DC prefer Pearson.
For me this Lerma winning the ball back thing is a bit of a myth. He does have games where he provides an effective defensive screen, but he’s very erratic and also has games where defensively he is all over the place. I think at times his work rate and desire to charge about all over the place is his biggest downfall, he often presses high while the rest of the team holds their shape and leaves massive gaps in behind him to exploit. Pearson is a more consistent defensive shield imo.

Tough one… mine would be…

Stacey Cahill Cook Kelly
Pearson Lerma Billing
Brooks Solanke Lowe

But hard without seeing Christie or Rogers properly.
Also very hard on Kilkenny and Zemura so a bit of agonising there and happy for them to replace Lerma and Kelly respectively.

I also think with Parker favouring one deep midfielder who is a playmaker that Lerma and Pearson, who are not that style of player, may suffer at the hands of Kilkenny and Cook who are.

I think Parker’s side therefore when all fit will be

Stacey Cahill Kelly Smith
Cook L
Christie Billing
Brooks Solanke Lowe

not picked a keeper as neither are outstanding

I've seen a couple now calling for a Cahill-Cook pairing. Now, I like both and think they're both great players. But physically, they're both aging and not the most competitive in terms in speed, and thus weak to balls in behind. Counters to that tactic would be to keep one of the faster full backs back or to keep a low block instead of the higher line we'd expect of the attacking team many here call for. Would those that call for a Cahill-Cook pairing be willing to take that sacrifice? Or should we just accept said weakness?

Edit: was wrong about a couple, rereading the thread I think only Neil called for that pairing. So I guess the question is just for you?

Travers
Stacey Meps Cahill Kelly
Pearson Billing
Brooks
Christie Solanke Lowe

Not sure if Cahill can play towards the left but would like to see him and Meps.

Travers
Stacey Meps Cahill Kelly
Pearson Billing
Brooks
Christie Solanke Lowe

Not sure if Cahill can play towards the left but would like to see him and Meps.
Meps played a lot on the left for Brentford, and personally I think it suits him, and can overlook one occurrence when it didn't work out.

It's interesting that as this thread has developed everyone is happy to abandon or risk the long term future of the club by dropping all the former academy players in desperate pursuit of a place in the PL that again so many say they don't care too much for.

Tough one… mine would be…

Stacey Cahill Cook Kelly
Pearson Lerma Billing
Brooks Solanke Lowe

But hard without seeing Christie or Rogers properly.
Also very hard on Kilkenny and Zemura so a bit of agonising there and happy for them to replace Lerma and Kelly respectively.

I also think with Parker favouring one deep midfielder who is a playmaker that Lerma and Pearson, who are not that style of player, may suffer at the hands of Kilkenny and Cook who are.

I think Parker’s side therefore when all fit will be

Stacey Cahill Kelly Smith
Cook L
Christie Billing
Brooks Solanke Lowe

not picked a keeper as neither are outstanding
Bit mischievous to not select a keeper?

Don't believe that you honestly think Parker's preference at LB is Smith ahead of Zemura, Davis, and potentially Kelly.

And however agonising it is, you obviously don't see a future for the academy players, but a Cook Cahill partnership, well that will see us right for years!!

Meps played a lot on the left for Brentford, and personally I think it suits him, and can overlook one occurrence when it didn't work out.

It's interesting that as this thread has developed everyone is happy to abandon or risk the long term future of the club by dropping all the former academy players in desperate pursuit of a place in the PL that again so many say they don't care too much for.
Bit of an exaggeration to say 'everyone' ......quite a few youth team players have been included in best 11s on this thread tbf.

Bit mischievous to not select a keeper?

Don't believe that you honestly think Parker's preference at LB is Smith ahead of Zemura, Davis, and potentially Kelly.

And however agonising it is, you obviously don't see a future for the academy players, but a Cook Cahill partnership, well that will see us right for years!!

I do believe Parker might put a fit Smith in at left back. He persuaded him to stay at the club at great length but think he will play Stacey at right back. He brings a depth of knowledge and energy. I wouldn’t play him but think Scott will. Time will tell.

Of the young players, they’ve done great and we will see them as injuries and suspensions develop. We were close to loaning Kilkenny out a couple of days ago and Anthony has been indifferent the last few games. Zemura has been the pick but Kelly just edged it for me for height and strength benefits to help us defend set pieces and crosses which we do poorly.

I've seen a couple now calling for a Cahill-Cook pairing. Now, I like both and think they're both great players. But physically, they're both aging and not the most competitive in terms in speed, and thus weak to balls in behind. Counters to that tactic would be to keep one of the faster full backs back or to keep a low block instead of the higher line we'd expect of the attacking team many here call for. Would those that call for a Cahill-Cook pairing be willing to take that sacrifice? Or should we just accept said weakness?

Edit: was wrong about a couple, rereading the thread I think only Neil called for that pairing. So I guess the question is just for you?

None of us have seen Cahill play… he is very quick across the ground. Can’t remember Cook being slow and caught behind I do remember seeing him get back and make many last ditch challenges. I don’t think either of them are slower than Mepham.or Ibsen Rossi. they might be slower than Kelly. We don’t get done to balls behind because our midfield cut off those lines… we get done continually with crosses.

Travers
Smith Mepham Kelly Zemura
Lerma
Billing Christie
Brooks Solanke Lowe

Nyland, Stacey, Cahill, Pearson, Marcondes, Anthony, Rogers

How some people don't have JZ in their starting XI after his great start to the season is beyond me!

I would have them on the bench and rotating in for double games weeks. This is just the best 11 in my mind but obviously we will need to rotate as well. That will help build them up and help us too.

Bit of an exaggeration to say 'everyone' ......quite a few youth team players have been included in best 11s on this thread tbf.
If it was a literal comment yes,then a gross exaggeration, but it was what I could see developing in the thread. I could have scanned back further, but didn't do so.

;