Parker Vision

Sorry Roger

Fans' Favourite
So what, exactly, is the vision and the plan?

At Fulham Scott Parker was operating under a system where the owner’s son was technical director and general head honcho. He’s been promised something more appealing at Bournemouth. Clearly, given the number and style of outgoings to date, it isn’t money to spend in the transfer market.

So is the promise from Demin, Blake and Hughes that Parker can shape the team provided he’s happy to free up the funds to do so? If so, it will be interesting to see who comes in. And also whether Scott and his team genuinely have the ability to bring young players through.

From Parker’s perspective, I can see the attraction of working with limited resources but in a way where you can make your own decisions. And from Max’s perspective, I can see the attraction of a young manager, who achieved a lot as a player, who wants to establish a great name for himself as a manager.

I guess that is the vision, but others might see it differently.

So what, exactly, is the vision and the plan?

At Fulham Scott Parker was operating under a system where the owner’s son was technical director and general head honcho. He’s been promised something more appealing at Bournemouth. Clearly, given the number and style of outgoings to date, it isn’t money to spend in the transfer market.

So is the promise from Demin, Blake and Hughes that Parker can shape the team provided he’s happy to free up the funds to do so? If so, it will be interesting to see who comes in. And also whether Scott and his team genuinely have the ability to bring young players through.

From Parker’s perspective, I can see the attraction of working with limited resources but in a way where you can make your own decisions. And from Max’s perspective, I can see the attraction of a young manager, who achieved a lot as a player, who wants to establish a great name for himself as a manager.

I guess that is the vision, but others might see it differently.
I think you may be right. He can build a team here, he just has to accept that some of our most prized assets may have to go to finance that.

Seems like a sensible plan to me, especially because some of our highest earners have seemed to deliver the most inconsistent performances in recent seasons. Time to sort the wheat from the chaff and rebuild from there. I can see how that could appeal to him, given the situation he faced at Fulham. This scenario would probably appeal to him and is a financial necessity for us.

Hard to comment until the transfer window closes and we see what hand he has to play with. Certainly if I was a manger, most of whom are at risk of being sacked now if you have one bad month, I would want control of signings and not be at the mercy of other ‘s judgements.

Feels a bit like he's started a new save on Football Manager. Sack the staff with poor stats, sell all the high earners to fill a transfer kitty, now all that remains is to sign some wonderkids from this list.
Football Manager 2021 wonderkids: All the best young players you should sign in FM21 | GamesRadar+

I see that there is an Iturbe in that list. What could go wrong?

Does anyone know if the FM predictions have ever been tracked? I'd be interested to know how accurate they are for 16 / 17 year olds who are truly obscure. I'd imagine that they'd be a long way off, as it must be so difficult.

Still 5 weeks to go until the end of the transfer window. I’d imagine our squad will look quite different then. Fully expect us to spend some money and that Parker has funds available, albeit clearly it won’t be the £20m signings that we used to make.

Still 5 weeks to go until the end of the transfer window. I’d imagine our squad will look quite different then. Fully expect us to spend some money and that Parker has funds available, albeit clearly it won’t be the £20m signings that we used to make.
Good. I much prefer young hungry players from the lower leagues who want to make a name for themselves. We had a complete team of those back in 2014.

To go from 15m here and 20m there to only freebies and loans seems quite the about turn. A few 1-2m signings can go along way when buying from L1 say.
I know it was a few years ago now, but a £1m offer from another club would have pretty much always secured our best player pre-Denim. And we had some who could clearly make the step up to the championship (and did).

I don’t mind a couple of loans here and there, but to really build a team we should be looking anywhere from lower half of the championship to the very best in league two. We should still be a relatively attractive proposition to most players within that bracket too.

It certainly does feel as though a gradual rebuild is taking place. On the one hand it is a financial necessity but on the other hand I would argue that it is also a footballing one. We have too many highly paid players in the squad who only seem to make an effort when they feel like it, others who perhaps feel that they are too good for us. I know it's a risk to lose quality players and replace them with cheaper players with potential but we've probably almost reached the point now where we need to take that risk.

I can see why the board wanted Parker and why he wanted to come here. It does seem as if we are at the beginning of a longer term restructuring project and SP has been chosen to oversee it. We are approaching the point where most of the PL team will be gone and we will need to build a new team with our own youngsters and up and comers from the lower leagues. We are at a critical point. Do it well and we can establish ourselves in this league and continue to work towards going back to the PL in a season or two. Do it badly and we could end up back in League One or League Two !

Fasten your seatbelts guys, it's going to be a hell of a ride ( one way or another :p ) !!!

It certainly does feel as though a gradual rebuild is taking place. On the one hand it is a financial necessity but on the other hand I would argue that it is also a footballing one. We have too many highly paid players in the squad who only seem to make an effort when they feel like it, others who perhaps feel that they are too good for us. I know it's a risk to lose quality players and replace them with cheaper players with potential but we've probably almost reached the point now where we need to take that risk.

I can see why the board wanted Parker and why he wanted to come here. It does seem as if we are at the beginning of a longer term restructuring project and SP has been chosen to oversee it. We are approaching the point where most of the PL team will be gone and we will need to build a new team with our own youngsters and up and comers from the lower leagues. We are at a critical point. Do it well and we can establish ourselves in this league and continue to work towards going back to the PL in a season or two. Do it badly and we could end up back in League One or League Two !

Fasten your seatbelts guys, it's going to be a hell of a ride ( one way or another :p ) !!!
And thats the joy of being an AFCB fan!

;