Period of uncertainty

How often do clubs go down with the calibre of players we have to sell? In fact when was the last time Man City bought a player from a relegated team for £35m+?

I think you've unravelled your own argument there. Man City have bought relegated players before but haven't had to pay all that much for them. Maybe wait a bit before declaring a £35M+ windfall?

It’s going to be tough and sacrifices will have to be made, but we should be able to recoup £60m+ in transfer fees if we really want/need to, and we’d still have a half decent Championship squad left. How many other relegated clubs can say that?

I'd say at least one team each season goes down with a squad at least as good as ours. In the prior 4 years Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea, Villa and Fulham had pretty decent squads.

This year Norwich didn't buy so they're going down with their promotion squad and no wage inflation.
Watford has its multi-club support network to draw from, £84M in wages (pre-deduction) and £88M debt.

That would of the three clubs give EH the hardest job IMO.

The key for me is Howe staying, but if he does, I’m confident that we’re in for a good/fun season. In fact if he commits then I’d go as far as to say this is the most excited I’ve been for a season since the first season in the Prem.

This I agree with, I'll happily stick with Eddie even for a survival fight with our youth team and the Championship is a league that can turn out some real surprises!

I am quite naive on such things but surely.....Max will either want to keep backing us so he doesn't lose his investments....or he will sell up and then anyone incoming wouldn't want to lose investments....so surely either way, nobody would want us to drop like a stone.

The trick is to think about it like buying a car instead of buying a house. It gives you fun but to make money from cars you got to be bloody clever or bloody lucky.

It’s not so much the first season that worries me. It’s the significant drop in parachute payments in Y2 and Y3. Cutting costs this summer isn’t enough. It needs to be ongoing over the next 3 years. Any player sales don’t just need to cover the year ahead but future years.

This actually leads to a situation which encourages clubs to gamble going straight back up. Now I don’t think we will be taking any crazy risks in that regard ourselves. But I do think we should look to keep a couple of younger players here for at least another year as an insurance policy.

For example, someone on this forum suggested we sell Ramsdale and L. Cook for £5m each. That’s really not going to reduce the shortfall by much. However, a stand out season for both in the Championship and their value rockets up

You and me both but I feel like we're on much rockier ground then many are willing to acknowledge. Parachute payments are about 55% first season 45% second and 20% third.

The best-case scenario is that we have the upper end of salary cuts so that salary are 100% covered by parachute payments. That still leaves us with over £100M debt and two seasons to either try to manage the debt or go gamble the existence of the club on bouncing back.

For me, next season can't be anything more than selling players to cover debt while trying to survive by bringing through youth.
Agree , with a focus on the training ground and the buyback of Dean Court ....

Its disgusting that parachute payments exist....paid a bonus for failing as I see it.
Clubs relegated should be docked money if anything .
Promoted teams from L1 don't get paid anything to aid their step up.
Football is run by 3rd rate ' business' people.
Destroying the Sport.
Which is right. Until someone down the ladder loses their job because of it.

I think you've unravelled your own argument there. Man City have bought relegated players before but haven't had to pay all that much for them. Maybe wait a bit before declaring a £35M+ windfall?

I'd say at least one team each season goes down with a squad at least as good as ours. In the prior 4 years Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea, Villa and Fulham had pretty decent squads.

This year Norwich didn't buy so they're going down with their promotion squad and no wage inflation.
Watford has its multi-club support network to draw from, £84M in wages (pre-deduction) and £88M debt.

That would of the three clubs give EH the hardest job IMO.

This I agree with, I'll happily stick with Eddie even for a survival fight with our youth team and the Championship is a league that can turn out some real surprises!
The £88M debt is probably from paying off previous managers.

It’s not so much the first season that worries me. It’s the significant drop in parachute payments in Y2 and Y3. Cutting costs this summer isn’t enough. It needs to be ongoing over the next 3 years. Any player sales don’t just need to cover the year ahead but future years.

This actually leads to a situation which encourages clubs to gamble going straight back up. Now I don’t think we will be taking any crazy risks in that regard ourselves. But I do think we should look to keep a couple of younger players here for at least another year as an insurance policy.

For example, someone on this forum suggested we sell Ramsdale and L. Cook for £5m each. That’s really not going to reduce the shortfall by much. However, a stand out season for both in the Championship and their value rockets up
Whatever sales we make this summer don't all come in one lump, but they will provide steady income for the next 2-3 years, in addition to the 2-3 years of parachute payments (unless immediately promoted). It does mean a lot of juggling around for the club finance staff, managing what tranches come in which year. Let's hope they're good at their jobs...!

Whatever sales we make this summer don't all come in one lump, but they will provide steady income for the next 2-3 years, in addition to the 2-3 years of parachute payments (unless immediately promoted). It does mean a lot of juggling around for the club finance staff, managing what tranches come in which year. Let's hope they're good at their jobs...!
Oh yeah I get that. Indeed we will no doubt structure incoming fees to meet our outgoing obligations.

My main point being, while for some players we will maximise their sale value by selling now, others will improve their reputations and therefore transfer value after a solid Championship season.

The bonus side to having such a small stadium will be that match day revenue shouldn't be affected to much, assuming they don't reduce prices.
Any news on that.??

Maybe they can share the cash saved by Defoe going off the books assuming he is....Mmmm.. no one has mentioned him yet..is he still around or what?

Some of Bournemouth's highest earners have no relegation clauses, compounding club's financial concerns

Somewhat goes against stuff that local journos have said about clauses being in place. Would guess the truth is in the middle with some having reductions and others not. Pretty maddening from the club to be honest. But would guess most top earners are also those most likely to be wanted / sold.

Last edited:
Somewhat goes against stuff that local journos have said about clauses being in place. Would case the truth is in the middle with some having reductions and others not. Pretty maddening from the club to be honest. But would guess most top earners are also those most likely to be wanted / sold.

Yep, I only put it up because the source would appear to be half credible. I've no idea how these journo's get this sort of info. Could it be that some players simply refuse to sign if there's a relegation clause relating to wages in the contract ?

;