Philip

Can’t see him leaving in this window.
He recently signed a new contract.
If anybody is genuinely interested in signing him, I could see the club considering it in the summer. Absolutely no need for us to consider it now. Particularly with plenty of other outgoings reducing the wage bill.
We need him for the rest of this season at least.
He’s a known quantity and gets plenty of minutes. It makes more sense to keep him than to sell him and try to replace him in what’s left of this window IMO.

If we lose billing and Brooke out on loan how much cover do we have left
My preference would be to play Billing. He was top scorer last season. Far too good to be on the bench and be left. Andoni has mainly played him in a deeper role this season, so we haven't seen everything he can offer. Something not been right between club and Billing since he removed his shirt. I also wonder if there is pressure to play Kluivert because of his salary. Am of course just speculating but if the club/Andoni don't want to start him, let him prosper somewhere else as I'm sure sitting on the bench will affect him/possibly squad harmony negatively.

I also wonder if there is pressure to play Kluivert because of his salary.

Where was the pressure when he only started 4 of our first 11 games?

He’s starting now because he’s earned his place in the side and results and performances improved with his move into the number 10 role.

Where was the pressure when he only started 4 of our first 11 games?

He’s starting now because he’s earned his place in the side and results and performances improved with his move into the number 10 role.

That I don't know. Maybe he wasn't deemed up to speed at that point as a newcomer. Like I said, just speculating.

That I don't know. Maybe he wasn't deemed up to speed at that point as a newcomer. Like I said, just speculating.

Tough opening 8 games or so. AI seemed to be getting to grips with things. IIRC he seemed to chop and change the starting 3 players behind Dom during that period. And we looked pretty inept/disjointed. Cant recall many of the 3 players occupying those roles really making much impact or standing out during those opening fixtures.

Also Dom said instructions were complex, and that has since changed.

Tough opening 8 games or so. AI seemed to be getting to grips with things. IIRC he seemed to chop and change the starting 3 players behind Dom during that period. And we looked pretty inept/disjointed. Cant recall many of the 3 players occupying those roles really making much impact or standing out during those opening fixtures.

Also Dom said instructions were complex, and that has since changed.

Well, again, Christie stood out and Iraola has said he was the first to really get “it”.

Well, again, Christie stood out and Iraola has said he was the first to really get “it”.

First time I can recall hearing that, and quite interesting.

Clearly a thing between them going on (not in that way...), and AI holds him in extremely high regard. Which is interesting, in a positive way.

Looking forward to seeing what transpires for Christie under AI. Always good to see somewhat 'lesser' players step up and flourish when its not expected. Shows theres sometimes more to it than pure footballing ability imo.

What with Outtara at LB and players like Smith stepping up another level or two, when previously in decline.... what a manager we have at the helm right now. And to think he may have been close to getting moved on around the Burnley game, more rational posters even starting to question things on here. Incredible change of events imo.

Last edited:
First time I can recall hearing that, and quite interesting.

Clearly a thing between them going on (not in that way...), and AI holds him in extremely high regard. Which is interesting, in a positive way.

Looking forward to seeing what transpires for Christie under AI. Always good to see somewhat 'lesser' players step up and flourish when its not expected. Shows theres sometimes more to it than pure footballing ability imo.

What with Outtara at LB and players like Smith stepping up another level or two, when previously in decline.... what a manager we have at the helm right now. And to think he may have been close to getting moved on around the Burnley game, more rational posters even starting to question things on here. Incredible change of events imo.
I’m going to have to try and find the exact quote to prove to myself I haven’t just made that up. This one eludes to it but doesn’t quite say it.

“He is the most tactically intuitive player in the squad. He understands the game like nobody else and knows what he has to do at all times.”

I’m going to have to try and find the exact quote to prove to myself I haven’t just made that up. This one eludes to it but doesn’t quite say it.

“He is the most tactically intuitive player in the squad. He understands the game like nobody else and knows what he has to do at all times.”

Nice read. High praise indeed. Clearly in AI good books!

Makes managers life easier when players just 'get it' and dont need constant hand holding, instructions, focus.

One less thing to spend time and energy on, which can be used elsewhere.

;