Pitch invasions - the end of an era

Banning fans from stadiums is not enforceable. I had a bouncer work for me years ago in Leeds who was barred from Elland Road and every Leeds away game but never missed a match! How would you enforce it exactly?

Banning fans from stadiums is not enforceable. I had a bouncer work for me years ago in Leeds who was barred from Elland Road and every Leeds away game but never missed a match! How would you enforce it exactly?
They do have police spotters which might help. I guess if you’re determined enough you can get round things.

Putting two and two together, a lot of hoolies don't actually go to games they just try to stir up trouble around it. I know some (not Bournemouth thankfully) who travel up and down the country but never see a game. I wondered if they could even name the first eleven.

You'd need the stewards to know the faces, which would be hard.

Scroll down on link to:

Effects of Football Banning Orders
In respect of regulated football matches in the UK, a FBO prohibits the person who is subject to the order from entering any premises for the purpose of attending such matches (s14(4)(a)). Note that it is not possible to make an order limited to particular matches or particular teams (R v Doyle (Ciaran) and Others [2012] EWCA Crim 995).

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/football-related-offences-and-football-banning-orders

PL.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ow-premier-league-clubs-will-enforce-fan-bans

Last edited:
Must admit I got totally fed up watching all the sanctimonious rubbish spouted by the MOTD panel last night re fans on the pitch. The whole point about going to football is to experience dramatic highs and lows while actively supporting YOUR team. That includes a pitchie when your team wins the league by coming from 0-2 down by scoring 3 goals in 6 minutes. God, how could anyone not be sent crazy by that. Sure there is no excuse for violence or vandalism and those people should be punished but 99% of the thousands that went on the pitch at City were just showing sheer exhilerhation and excitement. Should we be looking to ban all the thousands that went on the pitch at DC after the Forest game ? No of course not. Unfortunately too many boring faceless execs want to just keep us all in our little boxes and do what they tell us.

They have to surrender passports for England games away. Presumably the order could force them to checkin at a local police station during the matches every week. Saying that, the stations are probably closed now a days though...

They have to surrender passports for England games away. Presumably the order could force them to checkin at a local police station during the matches every week. Saying that, the stations are probably closed now a days though...

I don't think you could justify that level of restriction on someone's freedom simply because they've run on a pitch. Even the Forest dickhead who dropped Billy Sharp will serve his time in prison and then be banned from football but having to go to a police station twice a week for 9/10 months of the year is excessive imo.

Last edited:
Must admit I got totally fed up watching all the sanctimonious rubbish spouted by the MOTD panel last night re fans on the pitch. The whole point about going to football is to experience dramatic highs and lows while actively supporting YOUR team. That includes a pitchie when your team wins the league by coming from 0-2 down by scoring 3 goals in 6 minutes. God, how could anyone not be sent crazy by that. Sure there is no excuse for violence or vandalism and those people should be punished but 99% of the thousands that went on the pitch at City were just showing sheer exhilerhation and excitement. Should we be looking to ban all the thousands that went on the pitch at DC after the Forest game ? No of course not. Unfortunately too many boring faceless execs want to just keep us all in our little boxes and do what they tell us.
Absolutely well said! If you remember, there was a supposed ban on bloody inflatables for the Forest game. No doubt Burnley would approve but it completely backs up redharrys point.

I suppose the worry is pitch invasions are taking on a new level with what looks like targeted attacks on players, even though they are minimal to the number of fans coming on the pitch, the problem is they could happen at any ground.

Eddie Howe was concerned before their away game at Burnley.

Eddie Howe has warned of a “potential tragedy” if fans keep invading pitches after games.

The Newcastle boss and his players face a high-stakes end of season game at Burnley on Sunday that will determine the Lancashire club’s Premier League status. At Turf Moor there is no easy escape route for players and coaches because the tunnel is on the opposite corner of the pitch to where Howe will be standing.

He also said this.

“I don’t mind the celebrational aspect. Embracing success is part of football. It is the aggression towards the opposition. It is swarms of people around one or two people. That doesn’t sit well with me.” Asked if Newcastle will have extra security on the bench at the end of the game, Howe replied: “I don’t know the end of game brief yet but it is something we will discuss.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-safety-fears-eddie-howe-27017195

Last edited:
Let's not pretend a pitchy is a completely spontaneous event. You have to clamber over seats and pitchside hoardings. It's not the same as jumping up and down when the team scores;the timing of that is unknown, the end of a match isn't

Why not just jump up and down and punch the air, scream and shout in the streets outside and on the way home.
The pitch is the players domain....the stands are the fans'....the pitch has to be maintained by skilled groundsmen.
Its a totally f√cking brainless and dangerous activity running around like lunatics, a chance someone gets crushed, especially a small child...
Plus...the players are exhausted and in need of ' coming down' from the 95 minutes of exertions( well most of them !)

Why not just jump up and down and punch the air, scream and shout in the streets outside and on the way home.
The pitch is the players domain....the stands are the fans'....the pitch has to be maintained by skilled groundsmen.
Its a totally f√cking brainless and dangerous activity running around like lunatics, a chance someone gets crushed, especially a small child...
Plus...the players are exhausted and in need of ' coming down' from the 95 minutes of exertions( well most of them !)
lol

Because by the time you are going home the "moment" has gone. The whole thing is about spontaneity at the final whistle. Not dissimilar to VAR killing the joy of scoring a goal.

Because by the time you are going home the "moment" has gone. The whole thing is about spontaneity at the final whistle. Not dissimilar to VAR killing the joy of scoring a goal.
As with these things, people will trot out the worst case scenario as "evidence" that these things "must be banned". I mean, those inflatables are pretty dangerous.

While most people running onto the pitch are just having fun, 1000s of people all running on at the same time provides perfect cover for thugs to commit criminal assault on players and staff knowing they won’t get caught (even someone getting jailed last week for lampong the Sheffield guy didn’t deter someone ffrom doing the same at Man City, because they don’t expect to get caught

;