PL legacy

oldcherrygit

Trialist
Now it seems likely we will be going down unless by some slim chance we win the next few games .What have we achieved and lost over the last few years .firstly we stayed in the Pl and had world wide coverage ,seen some first rate matches and won against the top six , been on live TV ,match of The day every week gained sponsorship deals the players have been well paid but what has the club achieved from all of that .
Firstly I do believe that Bournemouth ,Poole and the catchment area of supporters is one of the biggest in England plus one of the nicest areas to live and for attracting players . The catchment area is from west of Weymouth in a acre 50 miles round to East of the new Forest plus ,how do i know this as I was the manager of the Winter Gardens for over 11 years then the BIC and that was the minimum
I have to say the club has now it seems lost out I was always taught bums on seats make money from ,programme sales ,car park ,and catering sales all make money plus all the advertising rights .
Take St mary's stadium they make they make money from concerts out of season ie Rolling Stones ,Rod Stewart and so on what have we got nothing just paying a rent for a league one stadium with reduced capacity for the media who do not pay for tickets just so they can write there piece for the Sunday papers .
We have now somehow have to learn from our mistakes sort out the ground ,training ground and most importantly bring in the young fans the support for the club is always been there just look at how many people turned up on the parade and at Cardiff ,Wembley and how many fans saved the club .
I have not posted before but have been fan for over 60 years funny it is only when we went in the Pl struggled to buy a ticket in fact never managed to see a live game but never missed a match on the radio or tv .
I just hope that we sort out the ground issue and keep eddie learn and onwards and upwards .

Last edited:
..only legacy for me is the memories which were priceless.....no one can take away the facts that we beat Chelsea...Spurs....Liverpool....Man United...Arsenal...
That can hardly be topped can it ? It's not as if we came up for a season, got hammered by everybody and went straight back down again. We came up, we stabilised and proved that on our day we could beat any of the top teams in the country.
If we can just manage to get something off Man City before we go down, I think my life would be complete ;)

PL - been there, done that, job done, move on.

The Stadium would take 100 years to pay off using ticket sales and concert income only, until that point it would just be a burden. Financially it's just not viable. The training ground was more important.

Other than the memories, it has given us a few new members to the forum for SSD to argue with, which can't be overlooked.

The PL is the Panthea of football from a football perspective, but it comes at a high cost.

The exorbitant wages that players command have to be paid by clubs to remain competitive.

This romantic notion that programme sales, catering, and car park receipts go any way to funding 100k a week players that play for Rangers is wide of the mark.

Yes we should have built a new stadium, but form an owners perspective they would much rather spend that 20 million on a player that might keep a team up.

The return on investment on a stadium is almost nil from a business perspective for a team like ours.

Our fans have been historically fickle, and we would look like right muppets if we had a shiny new 25k capacity stadium, got relegated and struggled to fill it with 12k, which is what would happen.

Disappointing, yes it is.

But it's not our money we are spending, and Denim is a business man, who makes business decisions.

Hence why he was trying to sell recently.

We'll have a few wins to remind local glory hunters about anywhere they try and 'big club' it over us locals.

The win the other side of the forest will live even longer in the memory than the train stood at Brockenhurst afterwards.

Now it seems likely we will be going down unless by some slim chance we win the next few games .What have we achieved and lost over the last few years .firstly we stayed in the Pl and had world wide coverage ,seen some first rate matches and won against the top six , been on live TV ,match of The day every week gained sponsorship deals the players have been well paid but what has the club achieved from all of that .
Firstly I do believe that Bournemouth ,Poole and the catchment area of supporters is one of the biggest in England plus one of the nicest areas to live and for attracting players . The catchment area is from west of Weymouth in a acre 50 miles round to East of the new Forest plus ,how do i know this as I was the manager of the Winter Gardens for over 11 years then the BIC and that was the minimum
I have to say the club has now it seems lost out I was always taught bums on seats make money from ,programme sales ,car park ,and catering sales all make money plus all the advertising rights .
Take St mary's stadium they make they make money from concerts out of season ie Rolling Stones ,Rod Stewart and so on what have we got nothing just paying a rent for a league one stadium with reduced capacity for the media who do not pay for tickets just so they can write there piece for the Sunday papers .
We have now somehow have to learn from our mistakes sort out the ground ,training ground and most importantly bring in the young fans the support for the club is always been there just look at how many people turned up on the parade and at Cardiff ,Wembley and how many fans saved the club .
I have not posted before but have been fan for over 60 years funny it is only when we went in the Pl struggled to buy a ticket in fact never managed to see a live game but never missed a match on the radio or tv .
I just hope that we sort out the ground issue and keep eddie learn and onwards and upwards .
I totally agree with you mate but with some of our fans attitude on here, maybe we deserve to go back to where we started, which I think is inevitable. The academy is the most important part, with a capacity increase of our current stadium to help us increase our fan base, that should have been the minimum legacy left behind from our Premier league experience and would have taken a fraction of the 600m+ we have got in. Golden opportunity wasted imo.

The Stadium would take 100 years to pay off using ticket sales and concert income only, until that point it would just be a burden. Financially it's just not viable. The training ground was more important.

Other than the memories, it has given us a few new members to the forum for SSD to argue with, which can't be overlooked.

What will Max D do if we’re down, as seems likely. Sell? Abandon the training centre? Take his investment from player sales and enforce a tight budget? This is surely the key issue in terms of finance ..... or could he reinvest in another effort at promotion? Max’s decisions will surely be make-or-break for the club next season.

The club are due parachute payments of £85 million over the next three years, so despite wage demands may still be an attractive proposition if Max was looking for a buyer. More so if Eddie was to stay and some of the debt was recouped through player sales . Although the training ground is a work in motion the situation with Structadene put the club over a barrel. Unfortunately they'll be looking at those parachute payments and probably won't shift their stance.

Its obvious Max won't progress stadium wise, either buying the land and redeveloping or looking for another site but perhaps a new owner might?

We had a massive debate on here when the club got promoted from league 1, Invest in players or Increase capacity. I think Investing in players won the day back then if I recall. We can't argue it didn't work, it worked beyond our wildest dreams.

Relegation hurts but the bonus is the club isn't servicing the debt of a half built white elephant of a stadium, just a small yearly rent and of course those wages:whist:.

The club are due parachute payments of £85 million over the next three years, so despite wage demands may still be an attractive proposition if Max was looking for a buyer. More so if Eddie was to stay and some of the debt was recouped through player sales . Although the training ground is a work in motion the situation with Structadene put the club over a barrel. Unfortunately they'll be looking at those parachute payments and probably won't shift their stance.

Its obvious Max won't progress stadium wise, either buying the land and redeveloping or looking for another site but perhaps a new owner might?

We had a massive debate on here when the club got promoted from league 1, Invest in players or Increase capacity. I think Investing in players won the day back then if I recall. We can't argue it didn't work, it worked beyond our wildest dreams.

Relegation hurts but the bonus is the club isn't servicing the debt of a half built white elephant of a stadium, just a small yearly rent and of course those wages:whist:.

These parachute payments seem to do naff all towards getting promoted again although obviously cushioning the financial side. 75% of the championship are made up of ex pl teams none of whom can ever come up again.

Great memories of travelling with my now 86 year old dad to away games at West Brom, Brighton, Watford, and Chelsea.

Fondest moment has to be coming back to London Hotel post victorious Chelsea match and sitting quietly at the bar next to two furious Chelsea fans who'd been at the game discussing the sacking of Mourinho. That moment when they quietly paused and turned to me and asked where I was from. "Bournemouth" I said. Priceless.....

;