Players To Come In For Next Season?

billythekid

UTC Legend
At the beginning of the season thought Adam Armstrong of Blackburn Rovers would be a player to watch.

He has scored 28 goals this season in the Championship, including three hat-tricks, two in the last three games of this season.

If available and how much is another question and probably will be in demand.

There are bargains to be found as Brentford found with Toney.

Assuming there won't be a huge amount of spend, I like the look of Scully at Lincoln. He's still quite raw but the talent is clearly there. His old man played for us in the original great escape season.

We also need a couple of centre halves and I would do everything to sign CCV.

Assuming there won't be a huge amount of spend, I like the look of Scully at Lincoln. He's still quite raw but the talent is clearly there. His old man played for us in the original great escape season.

We also need a couple of centre halves and I would do everything to sign CCV.

Tony Scully came to us on loan from Palace.

CCV has put himself into the ‘window’ with his performances for us and can see a number of clubs after him.

Could well need half a dozen-plus new players.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see a scenario of Begovic, Danjuma, Lerma, Brooks and possibly Solanke all going with Smith and Stanislas out of contract and CCV could prove to be too expensive.

Building a back four from Stacey, Cook and Kelly is a good place to start with Ben Pearson and Philip Billing in front of them.

I think there's still enough there to excite an incoming manager plus knowing enough also to do to put your own stamp on things.

Everyone here will be desperate to sign CCV but I fear that's a pipe dream. Already reports today that Newcastle are in talks, as well as Anderlecht and others, with Spurs asking as much as £10m for him. Having lost out on promotion, that profile of signing is beyond us.

We will need to look at League One. We'll probably need half a dozen new faces as DJ says.

Charlie Wyke has 30 goals in 53 games for Sunderland who just missed out to Lincoln at the weekend. He is out of contract. Half of the Championship will probably be interested. We need to be one.

At the back Hull have said they're struggling to agree terms with Reece Burke even after their promotion. If Demin wants to attract a top L1 defender who will be decent at this level and is available, there's one for starters.

All this stuff is public knowledge, it doesn't need Richard Hughes' salary to unearth. Hopefully he has some cards up his sleeve that aren't so public.

Last edited:
Could well need half a dozen-plus new players.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see a scenario of Begovic, Danjuma, Lerma, Brooks and possibly Solanke all going with Smith and Stanislas out of contract and CCV could prove to be too expensive.

Building a back four from Stacey, Cook and Kelly is a good place to start with Ben Pearson and Philip Billing in front of them.

I think there's still enough there to excite an incoming manager plus knowing enough also to do to put your own stamp on things.

Would Eddie want Begovic at Celtic as his number one keeper?

It's not just replacing the players who will be sold, theres the other loanees to think about. Riquelme and Long will be off, Wilshere's contract will expire and he'll move on as well. We know that Danjuma will be off (I fancy West Ham coming in for him of they don't get Lingard on a permanent deal) and will be our biggest fee received. After that, Kelly, Lerma and Begovic have got to be certs to go. Then you're looking at Smith (out of contract?) potentially S Cook, Billing, Brooks. Then you delve into the back up players and things don't look so rosy!

What we need as a priority is the manager (whomever you may be) to have a clear idea as to how he wants the team to play and recruit accordingly. I can't say I've seen him play, but I believe that most of Wyke's goals came from crosses. Playing as we do with inverted wingers and full backs that don't seem too eager to get forward, we nullify this. Manager first and then go from there. If we don't right, I'm actually looking forward to the team being rebuilt. If we end up being a mid table championship club that occasionally flirts with the playoffs, I'd be quite happy with that.

...difficult to speculate on players until we know who exactly will be going and staying?...also the key thing will be the manager who is in place to shape teh squad he wants and the qualities he will looking for in relation to how we will play tactically?

One of the earliest sets of decisions we usually see post season are what will happen with the younger U21 & U18 players who are out of contract. It will be interesting to see who, and how many, are offered contracts and whether the club think we have anyone there to utilise moving forward who are still worth investing in.

It's not just replacing the players who will be sold, theres the other loanees to think about. Riquelme and Long will be off, Wilshere's contract will expire and he'll move on as well. We know that Danjuma will be off (I fancy West Ham coming in for him of they don't get Lingard on a permanent deal) and will be our biggest fee received. After that, Kelly, Lerma and Begovic have got to be certs to go. Then you're looking at Smith (out of contract?) potentially S Cook, Billing, Brooks. Then you delve into the back up players and things don't look so rosy!

What we need as a priority is the manager (whomever you may be) to have a clear idea as to how he wants the team to play and recruit accordingly. I can't say I've seen him play, but I believe that most of Wyke's goals came from crosses. Playing as we do with inverted wingers and full backs that don't seem too eager to get forward, we nullify this. Manager first and then go from there. If we don't right, I'm actually looking forward to the team being rebuilt. If we end up being a mid table championship club that occasionally flirts with the playoffs, I'd be quite happy with that.

West Ham may well be interested in Danjuma - but if they want him they need to pay the going rate, rather than offering 50 pence and a packet of crisps, over five years, which is what the Dildo brothers usually offer.

One of the earliest sets of decisions we usually see post season are what will happen with the younger U21 & U18 players who are out of contract. It will be interesting to see who, and how many, are offered contracts and whether the club think we have anyone there to utilise moving forward who are still worth investing in.
Problem is that we could be rudderless. Who is going to make these decisions ?
Our most senior coach ( Purchy ? ) could decide to recommend us keeping player X and then a new manager comes in and decides he's not what he wants. Same goes for the senior squad.
We need our board to act quickly and decisively. :shake:

Problem is that we could be rudderless. Who is going to make these decisions ?
Our most senior coach ( Purchy ? ) could decide to recommend us keeping player X and then a new manager comes in and decides he's not what he wants. Same goes for the senior squad.
We need our board to act quickly and decisively. :shake:

Yep, need to sort out managerial situation asap otherwise could end up missing out on suitable players, or investing in players that don;t entirely compliment the new managers style.

if woodgate is kept on, then he needs to be fully backed, no good carrying on his bad form into the season and sacking him a month in.

in theory we should still have very healthy budget to attract top players for this level especially as I expect at least 2 of higher profile players to move on. This is assuming max ambition is to genuinely push for promotion and not sell our best players, then signing average ones to consolidate this level. will be interesting to see what happens over the next month or so.

Yep, need to sort out managerial situation asap otherwise could end up missing out on suitable players, or investing in players that don;t entirely compliment the new managers style.

if woodgate is kept on, then he needs to be fully backed, no good carrying on his bad form into the season and sacking him a month in.

in theory we should still have very healthy budget to attract top players for this level especially as I expect at least 2 of higher profile players to move on. This is assuming max ambition is to genuinely push for promotion and not sell our best players, then signing average ones to consolidate this level. will be interesting to see what happens over the next month or so.

I'll be amazed if Woodgate doesn't get at least half a season to prove himself. I've had the distinct feeling that the club decided a year ago to try and become an established Championship club rather than get back into the PL and if that is the case then I'd have thought that Woodgate is a shoo in. If I'm wrong then they're going to need to make a real marquee signing to retain the better players and attract new ones.

I'll be amazed if Woodgate doesn't get at least half a season to prove himself. I've had the distinct feeling that the club decided a year ago to try and become an established Championship club rather than get back into the PL and if that is the case then I'd have thought that Woodgate is a shoo in. If I'm wrong then they're going to need to make a real marquee signing to retain the better players and attract new ones.

I'm not sure about boards intentions tbh, which should become clearer than ever this summer, depending on who we appoint and players we sign - particularly as I expect at least a couple of our top players to move on.

;