Players To Come In For Next Season?

Going on the record of Peterborough strikers and the £5 million that Brentford paid for Ivan Toney.

So Jonson Clarke-Harris was one mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible player for our club, scored 31 goals last season. Peterborough paid £1,200,000 for him from Bristol Rovers where he scored 13 goals in 24 appearances for Rovers.

Last edited:
The problem is that we are likely to have to pay big money for in demand striker - even from a lower division.

Instead, I'd like to see us use some of the (allegedly huge) wages saved on Begovic's departure, to substantially increase Danjuma's wages, with the aim of trying to persuade Danjuma to stay with us for at least one more season!

If we can do that then, based Danjums's goal scoring record of last season, we might not need to sign another striker!

I don't think it's always that simple. To be 'good enough', they need some match time to develop. There is also the pressure on managers to play the expensive players - prove that they were right to bring them in, which sometimes gets in the way or younger players being given a proper chance.

In my opinion, Kilkenny should have been given a chance in 2019-20 when let's face it, very few of the team were playing well enough but Billing, Lerma and H Wilson had been pretty big buys/loans. I think Surridge could have more of a shot than he had when Solanke wasn't finding the net. I also think Anthony is good enough for much more game time but whether he gets it or not remains to be seen.

I remember those on here saying Surridge was the answer to all our problems... Until he had a string of games and wasn't the total package that some made him out to be. I'm not saying he hasn't got a role, but it's the perfect example of 'experts' on here.
Don't you think Kilkenny would have been given an opportunity if he was good enough?

I remember those on here saying Surridge was the answer to all our problems... Until he had a string of games and wasn't the total package that some made him out to be. I'm not saying he hasn't got a role, but it's the perfect example of 'experts' on here.
Don't you think Kilkenny would have been given an opportunity if he was good enough?
You don't have to be an "expert' to have an opinion on a certain player ......why would we have a fans forum if not to have opinions offered and debated?.......
As for Kilkenny you don't seem to be grasping the point of posters suggesting he should be given a chance..... whether he was good enough to get into the team in previous seasons is completely besides the point..... it's whether we think he's good enough now ... especially in the likely event that Lerma will be leaving.
What would you rather we did.... replace Lerma with a youth player from a PL youth team or give one of our own an opportunity?

You don't have to be an "expert' to have an opinion on a certain player ......why would we have a fans forum if not to have opinions offered and debated?.......
As for Kilkenny you don't seem to be grasping the point of posters suggesting he should be given a chance..... whether he was good enough to get into the team in previous seasons is completely besides the point..... it's whether we think he's good enough now ... especially in the likely event that Lerma will be leaving.
What would you rather we did.... replace Lerma with a youth player from a PL youth team or give one of our own an opportunity?
Except those arent the only two options are they?

They were the only two options I offered.....if you want to ask Purbeck a different question then be my guest....feel free to offer your own opinion btw Rob....you know how much I value it.
I thought my opinion was pretty clear, but seeing as you need it spelling out.

I'd try and replace Lerma with someone with reasonable experience at Championship level. If not, then one who I felt had the potential to play at Championship level. Either way it wouldn't be a selection based on "he's one of our own" versus looking outside the club.

I thought my opinion was pretty clear, but seeing as you need it spelling out.

I'd try and replace Lerma with someone with reasonable experience at Championship level. If not, then one who I felt had the potential to play at Championship level. Either way it wouldn't be a selection based on "he's one of our own" versus looking outside the club.
Well obviously if you think we're going to go out and spend money on proven quality then that's great ...I'm all for that.....what I don't want to see is us loaning a young player from a PL side instead of us giving the likes of Anthony or Kilkenny a chance to prove themselves....if we don't think that the best youth players we've ever produced are Championship level then why do we have an academy?
So anyway Rob what I can gather from your response is that you don't think Gavin Kilkenny has the potential to be a Championship player....you see I really wouldn't have known that if you didn't spell it out....:)

Well obviously if you think we're going to go out and spend money on proven quality then that's great ...I'm all for that.....what I don't want to see is us loaning a young player from a PL side instead of us giving the likes of Anthony or Kilkenny a chance to prove themselves....if we don't think that the best youth players we've ever produced are Championship level then why do we have an academy?
So anyway Rob what I can gather from your response is that you don't think Gavin Kilkenny has the potential to be a Championship player....you see I really wouldn't have known that if you didn't spell it out....:)
You do seem pretty inept at properly gathering anything sensibly. ;-)

It’s easier for managers to play experienced players over youngsters, and most managers prefer to do this .
Every player needs a run of games . Do I think surridge is the answer to be our starting number 9, no. Do I think he has been given a proper run on games, no.
Sometimes you need a bit of luck to come through . i.e with Lerma being away Kilkenny may get his chance

What always got me about Surridge last season was our insistence of playing neat intricate football when he was on the pitch, and banging balls into the box when he wasn't there.

I think he'll more than do a job at Championship level for a side built with wingers who will hug the touchline and cross it in at his head.

Whether that side is or will ever be us, I'm not sure. But a good option to have, and great to have produced it ourselves.

You do seem pretty inept at properly gathering anything sensibly. ;-)
Oh no I get it Rob!....
You'd prefer someone who you thought had at least the 'potential to play at Championship level' rather than Kilkenny......yep got it.....if that's your opinion then fine .....I don't agree with it but hey I'm no 'expert'....:)

;