Points from last 2 games - which would you have taken?

Matt Stevenson

First Team
I've been mulling over the last two games, and if things were 'fair' (which of course they aren't) in my view we'd have taken 2 points, Brentford 1, and Stoke 1 having drawn both games.

In reality, we are 1 point up on this, Brentford 2 points up, and Stoke 1 point down.

If you'd have been offered the reality over the 'fair' would you have taken it? We are 1 point up on all teams bar Brentford (and Stoke) which might ultimately put us in the automatic promotion position, but the 2 points extra for Brentford might see them finish above us and we end up third.

I didn't arrive at a clear preference, so thought it would be interesting to get the consensus view. Obviously I wanted 6 points from the two games, but they were two tough away games.

Sorry for the hypothetical question.

Whilst I'm here, in answer to another thread, coldest game - Grimsby away 2008, late November, in the snow, close to the North Sea, on a Friday night in a gale. I think it was on Sky (and there was less than a hundred in the away end).

UTCIAD

Matt

I think at this stage of the season you would always take the maximum points - 1 win 1 defeat over 2 draws. Right now you just want to maintain your pace. At the end of the season an individual game takes on more importance if it is against your neck and neck rival.
Taking in the Luton game, thats 4 points from 3 tough away games over the xmas period, add in 2 home wins before that and its 10 points from 5 games. Keep that up and we get promoted.

How many times over the years, have you said to yourself, if we just had x more points, we would have made promotion/play offs/avoided relegation?

Often a very limited number of points, make a huge difference (ref season 19/20 for example).

So maximise points every time.

It looks like we have a consensus. The main reason I wasn't sure (and still not) is that excluding us, Norwich and Brentford look the best teams, so that 3 points may not be as profitable (all things considered) as 2.

I've just looked up Paddy Power's odds for winning the championship which suggest a three horse race. Norwich 15/8, AFCB 5/2, Brentford 11/4, 10/1 bar. I could see a situation where we may have been shorter odds with two draws.

As redharry says 10 points from 5 games is not to be sniffed at, I'm pleased with our position (note FourFourTwo predicted us finishing 11th) and looking forward to the tense run-in.

We played well at Brentford and in a game that could have gone either way we lost.

We played poorly at Stoke and ground out a win.

Probably over the two games three points was about right.

Last edited:
Any of us that have ever been to those fiercely cold aways up north have a sort of metaphorical ' badge of honour.' .especially Grimsby, Hull and ...the infamous Harry's Game at Lincoln 0-9. Even when you don't come away with the points..you ' were there'...a crazy thing...like trophy like!
I nearly passed out once with cold, on Boothferry Parks partly exposed railway bank terrace....with the added smell of rotten fish on the wind from the nearby Hessle Fish Dock ...I was about 12 or 13, skinny build, and Dad had to wrap me in his coat. I think we won that game. Then we broke down in his Dormobile van on the way back..cost him a bomb in a garage near Watford!
All that flashes into your head when you sit in warm room next to a radio..with some 'joker' describing a 4th goal for Boscombe v Chelsea more than 50 years later !
No brain - dead bad lad from Stoke can take any of that away !

Last edited:

;