Points gained v Top 6

Tinpot Club

Star Player
It’s often discussed how poor we are against the top 6. As it turns out, our record is firmly in mid table category.

Wolves 16
Everton 11
West Ham 11
Leicester 10
Crystal Palace 8
Southampton 8
AFC BOURNEMOUTH 6
Burnley 5
Brighton 4
Newcastle 3
Watford 3
Huddersfield 1
Cardiff 0
Fulham 0

I think the conclusion here is if we are poor so are most of our rivals. I’d also suggest it’s not really worth worrying about how to improve our record against these teams. If we want to make the top half next year, the focus should be on improving our record against the likes of Newcastle, Burnley and Southampton.

That's this season? So a win versus Chelsea and a win versus Tottenham, both at home. And we lost away to Chelsea & THFC and home & away vs. Liverpool, ManC, Arsenal and ManU?

It's not brilliant to lose 10 out of 12, mid table or not.

Apart from the usual hammerings by Man City and Liveprool we've actually played quite well against the big boys but just gained 3 points.

Simply we seem to miss loads of chances and then they score with their first shot or something - doesn't help as you guys know we are pretty average in defence anyway.

Just very ruthless.

Wolves got more points against the top 6 than bottom 6 I think.

And Everton/West Ham are just very inconsitent but seem to raise their game for matches against such sides.

At least we are consistent:

2015/16 - 6 points - 2 wins Chelsea (A), Man Utd (H)
2016/17 - 7 points - 1 win Liverpool (H), 4 draws Spurs (H), Arsenal (H), Man Utd (A) Liverpool (A)
2017/18 - 6 points - 2 wins Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H)
2018/19 - 6 points - 2 wins Chelsea (H), Spurs (H)

At least we are consistent:

2015/16 - 6 points - 2 wins Chelsea (A), Man Utd (H)
2016/17 - 7 points - 1 win Liverpool (H), 4 draws Spurs (H), Arsenal (H), Man Utd (A) Liverpool (A)
2017/18 - 6 points - 2 wins Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H)
2018/19 - 6 points - 2 wins Chelsea (H), Spurs (H)
Being pedantic, Leicester and Southampton were part of the Top 6 in 15/16 instead of Chelsea and Liverpool. That actually gives us 8 points.

Reactions: rgb
It’s often discussed how poor we are against the top 6. As it turns out, our record is firmly in mid table category.

Wolves 16
Everton 11
West Ham 11
Leicester 10
Crystal Palace 8
Southampton 8
AFC BOURNEMOUTH 6
Burnley 5
Brighton 4
Newcastle 3
Watford 3
Huddersfield 1
Cardiff 0
Fulham 0

I think the conclusion here is if we are poor so are most of our rivals. I’d also suggest it’s not really worth worrying about how to improve our record against these teams. If we want to make the top half next year, the focus should be on improving our record against the likes of Newcastle, Burnley and Southampton.

Manure 7 and Spurs 7 aren't that brilliant either.
Chelsea and Arsenal got 12 a piece.
Top two got millions.

Bear in mind, we deliberately lost at home to Man City by trying not to concede too many goals and that was a very popular move on this board.

Wolves 16
Everton 11
West Ham 11
Leicester 10
Crystal Palace 8
Southampton 8
AFC BOURNEMOUTH 6
Burnley 5
Brighton 4
Newcastle 3
Watford 3
Huddersfield 1
Cardiff 0
Fulham 0

So, trusting that the maths are right, points against "the other 13" would be

Watford 50-3 = 47
Everton 53-11 = 42
Wolves 57-16 = 41
Leicester 51-10 = 41
AFC BOURNEMOUTH 45-6 =39
Newcastle 42-3 = 39
West Ham 49-11 = 38
Crystal Palace 46-8 = 38
Burnley 40-5 = 35
Brighton 36-4 = 32
Cardiff 31-0 = 31
Southampton 38-8 = 30
Fulham 26-0 = 26
Huddersfield 15-1 = 14
As @Tinpot Club suggests, we are right in the mix with the teams that separate 7th from 14th, and just a wee bit more luck and/or concentration makes the difference.

;