Positives, negatives and more from today

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Positives
Brooks has gone from being a player we thought would only get a start in the FA Cup third round to the go to man in a time of crisis. And looks every inch that player.

Clyne will be an excellent right back in our system when the team is firing.

Pugh will be there doing Marc Pugh things if we need to call upon him again.

Now we get to focus on chasing a Europa League place/securing a mid-table finish/ensuring we avoid relegation (delete as appropriate depending on your personal disposition)

Negatives
Boruc. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Just watch him on the corner for the third goal. Never mind the terrible marking and so on, that was schoolboy goalkeeping.

On that subject, whoever organises the defence for corners on the pitch needs to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Mousset had a horror show of a performance. As the only senior striker in the matchday squad Howe put a huge amount of faith in him to turn up and that was the worst I've ever seen him play. Nobody wants to get a reputation as only being able to perform from the bench but that was completely unacceptable today, even on the level of the very basics.

Rico had a genuine opportunity to stake a claim for a first team spot today and totally fluffed it. That two minutes where he was in acres of space with four men in the box to aim at and he sent it straight out of play followed by running offside to a through ball when he could see all the way along the line resulted in him being subbed two minutes later. He's starting to worry me.

Our shots conceded to goals conceded rate must be near record levels. I think Brighton had five attacks in the whole game.

Howe has finally lost his unbeaten record against Infrastructure FC.

Inbetweenies
Ibe had a weird match. One minute he was sliding past people, getting shots away or bringing the ball down with perfect control the next he was misjudging the ball to such an extent that he didn't even touch it when trying to trap it. Subbed as Stanislas was the obvious option from the bench and you wouldn't want to take Fraser off.

The two youngsters would be harsh to judge on one of our now traditional FA Cup third round performances so I'll give them a pass.

Surman was on the pitch. He recycled the ball. A few decent passes and few stray ones. Not a lot of impact either way really. Also, Fraser lacked his usual vim.

Positives
Brooks has gone from being a player we thought would only get a start in the FA Cup third round to the go to man in a time of crisis. And looks every inch that player.

Clyne will be an excellent right back in our system when the team is firing.

Pugh will be there doing Marc Pugh things if we need to call upon him again.

Now we get to focus on chasing a Europa League place/securing a mid-table finish/ensuring we avoid relegation (delete as appropriate depending on your personal disposition)

Negatives
Boruc. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Just watch him on the corner for the third goal. Never mind the terrible marking and so on, that was schoolboy goalkeeping.

On that subject, whoever organises the defence for corners on the pitch needs to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Mousset had a horror show of a performance. As the only senior striker in the matchday squad Howe put a huge amount of faith in him to turn up and that was the worst I've ever seen him play. Nobody wants to get a reputation as only being able to perform from the bench but that was completely unacceptable today, even on the level of the very basics.

Rico had a genuine opportunity to stake a claim for a first team spot today and totally fluffed it. That two minutes where he was in acres of space with four men in the box to aim at and he sent it straight out of play followed by running offside to a through ball when he could see all the way along the line resulted in him being subbed two minutes later. He's starting to worry me.

Our shots conceded to goals conceded rate must be near record levels. I think Brighton had five attacks in the whole game.

Howe has finally lost his unbeaten record against Infrastructure FC.

Inbetweenies
Ibe had a weird match. One minute he was sliding past people, getting shots away or bringing the ball down with perfect control the next he was misjudging the ball to such an extent that he didn't even touch it when trying to trap it. Subbed as Stanislas was the obvious option from the bench and you wouldn't want to take Fraser off.

The two youngsters would be harsh to judge on one of our now traditional FA Cup third round performances so I'll give them a pass.

Surman was on the pitch. He recycled the ball. A few decent passes and few stray ones. Not a lot of impact either way really. Also, Fraser lacked his usual vim.
Excellent summary, kirsikka. I took my dad along today and he commented that Brooks was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, ran the show second half from an advanced CM position. He looks great there. Agree re Boruc and Mousset, both well below par. Thought Simpson had a good match. Gutted to be out of the cup. Frustrating thing is BHA were there for the taking. As my dad said, ‘Brighton didn’t win it, Bournemouth lost it.’

Brooks showed me today he’d be capable playing CM in the PL, preferably next to Lerma rather Surman though. Incredible talent!

The performance probably wasn’t as bad as made out. Simpson looked good, Rico was better than recent games and Clyne looks like he’ll be perfect for us. It didn’t really click as a team which isn’t that surprising but clearly certain players need to up their game pronto

Positives

Negatives

Agree with most of your points, but wtf? You're blaming Boruc for the third? By all means criticize him for the first two but I'm really not sure what he did wrong with the third...

Watch it back and see the way he came for the corner but didn't really and was just kind of wandering

Positives
No injuries. Thought Kyle Taylor played well and unfortunate to be sacrificed. Simpson looks very solid and comfortable on the ball. We have a new right back.
Brookes is the real deal
PUGH

Negatives
Mousset ineffectual
Ibe... how many more opportunities will he be given. Terrible decision making.
We’re out of the cup. Obvs. Again in the 3rd round.

Agree with most iof that
Was happy with Simpson, and didn't expect much from Taylor so I'm pleased he fitted in and did the basics reasonably well.

I thought it was one of Simpson's weaker games for us, but only because he's been fantastic in all of his other appearances.

;