Pre season Portugal.

They really need to do better giving the details of these games as early as possible this year. It's been disgusting the way they've treated supporters as inconsequential in previous tours.
The best one was here in Spain one year when allegedly the grass became ill at the original stadium and they changed the venue the night before the match was due to be played. Yes really, sick grass. I kid you not !
Fortunately the new venue was actually a bit easier for me, so I didn't mind but I could very easily have been stood in front of the gate of the wrong venue waiting for somebody to let me in if I hadn't checked the club website first !
I suppose that was force majeure and not really the club's fault but I'm having a moan about it anyway :p

The best one was here in Spain one year when allegedly the grass became ill at the original stadium and they changed the venue the night before the match was due to be played. Yes really, sick grass. I kid you not !
Fortunately the new venue was actually a bit easier for me, so I didn't mind but I could very easily have been stood in front of the gate of the wrong venue waiting for somebody to let me in if I hadn't checked the club website first !

Nightmare for me so had to change plans. There were still match posters at the original venue so would have confused people turning up in the evening.

Likewise switched one friendly to la manga for a Valencia friendly from further up the coast. I got a decent flight in and out in one day (couldnt stay over due to another holiday) so missed a chunk of second half to get back to the airport due to the extra miles I needed to cover.

Pretty obvious they don’t want away support abroad so my enthusiasm has lessened tbh. Will only do it for a decent stadium like benfica, which I have already been to but would be good to see afcb there.

I suppose that was force majeure and not really the club's fault but I'm having a moan about it anyway :p

Tell me about it. Managed to get a taxi to the rearranged venue but couldn't book one for the way back so had a two hour walk to Puerto Banus after the game.

Tell me about it. Managed to get a taxi to the rearranged venue but couldn't book one for the way back so had a two hour walk to Puerto Banus after the game.
Ouch !
I know how far that was !
Handy for the original venue but not so great for the new one !
Hats off to you for walking all that way.
Poorly grass. That was a good one. Wasn’t the rumour that they were insisting on charging fans for entry, that the club objected and that the whole sick grass thing was just a diplomatic excuse for the late change of venue ?
The new venue was great though, the staff were friendly, wouldn’t let us pay for bottled water and it was all very laid back !

Nightmare for me so had to change plans. There were still match posters at the original venue so would have confused people turning up in the evening.

Likewise switched one friendly to la manga for a Valencia friendly from further up the coast. I got a decent flight in and out in one day (couldnt stay over due to another holiday) so missed a chunk of second half to get back to the airport due to the extra miles I needed to cover.

Pretty obvious they don’t want away support abroad so my enthusiasm has lessened tbh. Will only do it for a decent stadium like benfica, which I have already been to but would be good to see afcb there.
Yes. If you are playing abroad and publicising the fact, you can’t really change the venue at short notice if you think about the fans. Many of them will have planned their entire trip around the original schedule, so changing anything at short notice SHOULD be an absolute no no !
I’m not too keen on preseason friendlies these days either. You don’t really learn a lot about how we’ll start the season, since we usually play a new team each half. Fortunately, since we’ve gone all Billy big ones, AFCB usually manages to stream the best preseason games, so even less reason for me to try to attend.
Yes, I’m a plastic, sue me !
:p

Estadio Algarve is near faro - a modern stadium that was built for euro 2004 (I saw Russia v Greece there) and they hosted an invitational cup each summer. Maybe this revived after not being played for a few years?

See Fulham have 2 games at estadio algarve in July. Shame they have nabbed Benfica for a weekend slot (Newcastle play them in Portugal on 26th July).

9FCE50BA-0B85-4661-8A89-88C32D50BF9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Going to be north of Lisbon (subject to flight not being cancelled) mid July so waiting to hear where and when any game will be

I wouldn't be booking any flights at the moment. Don't trust Bournemouth Airport either. A month ago we got diverted to Gatwick after a long delay from Tenerife Sud to Bournemouth as BOH air traffic control was closed due to it being the middle of the night. If you're desperate to go, travel by train or water and road. Mind you other will be thinking the same so expect increased prices. I'd treat myself to some tasty food and watch from the comfort of my living room myself or somewhere else in Britain.

;