Premier Leage B teams in Johnstones paint

Ah well, Luton Reserves, Forest Green stiffs, and the odd game against Oxford 3rd's will bring our lads on leaps and bounds should they be required on the PL

Silent AFCB - 15/6/2016 08:29

Home games will be even worse, pretty much only away fans in a Premier League ground!

Would we play our home games elsewhere, because we haven't got a Premier League Ground

Looks like it was even worse thought through than I had imagined... they didn't even bother to check if the big clubs they were supposedly helping wanted it and a number have said they won't be taking part:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/new-efl-trophy-premier-league-academy-teams-fans

They're now going to start inviting Championship clubs with category 1 status instead of Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur and possibly Man Utd and Liverpool.

What an absolute farce.

This quote from the article sums up my feelings:

Fifty-nine thousand at Wembley to watch Oxford vs Barnsley this year shows the popularity of the final.
I look forward to the EFL defending their plan when 6,000 people are at Wembley watching Swansea reserves against Stoke reserves.

Utter shambles.

One of the most admirable things about the English Football pyramid is how organic and passionate it is. Any team can hypothetically rise to the PL, this just seems like a move to get the foot in the door for Premier League B teams to join the pyramid outside this competition.

Totally agree with the quote posted by Silent AFCB. I watched that game online- the atmosphere was electric and the game itself was very entertaining. There's a certain romanticism about watching two teams comprised of non rich payers who are living out their life long dream of playing at Wembley that just tugs at the heart strings!

GaryRB - 15/6/2016 12:03

Silent AFCB - 15/6/2016 08:29

Home games will be even worse, pretty much only away fans in a Premier League ground!

Would we play our home games elsewhere, because we haven't got a Premier League Ground

We're not invited, the invites will go to Championship clubs who meet the arbitrary requirements of being considered elite.

Thank goodness for that. I can't get my head around the idea that people would be excited about going to Old Trafford to see their team play some Under 21 outfit.

;