Premier League B Teams in the Football League

kirsikka

UTC Legend
No matter how stupid an idea, if you talk about it enough it can sometimes gain acceptance. Look at the support of the flat earth theory that has bizarrely sprung up over the past decade or so.

If you're in a position of power and you raise a ridiculous idea it can start to gain traction even if it's only for your concept to be seen as possibly legitimate by people.

If you use your influence to pressure people when they're in their worst ever place, telling them you have the answer to their problems but they need to accept their solution you're likely either the mafia, a religion or, it's starting to seem, a Premier League football club.

The idea of B teams in the Football League has been floated by representatives of the Big Six for many years as a solution to what they perceive to be a problem for them. When it first came up it was laughed at as totally at odds with the football culture in this country. That didn't stop it coming up here and there, different voices from the same cabal so now there probably isn't a football fan in the country that hasn't been exposed to this concept several times over the past ten years or so.

That slow, slow, slow insidious creep of the idea before has been picking up pace since the pandemic started. If the Big Six don't come across like the football business equivalent of comic books baddies already then taking advantage of this situation to further advance their own agendas at the expense of all other football in the country puts the final touches to that characterisation.

I mentioned way back here that I thought somehow the usual suspects would try and use their roles as 'saviours of English football' to actually get this in through the backdoor.

I'm quoting myself now, but only to show it's been bothering me since March :

"...given the unedifying and unending appetite to dominate the game in this country from the top six, I'm sure they'd use it as some kind of leverage to later force through either B teams in the lower leagues or letting them take over smaller clubs as feeder clubs."

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/gillyhoof-want-our-help.11337/#post-359796

In a bizarre twist, a senior official at Brighton came out in support of it back in May.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-shutdown-brighton-dan-ashworth-a4436186.html

It's like he's already forgotten where they came from and somehow remains blissfully unaware that his team are merely canon fodder in the PL battle field whilst the Big Six generals sup team from bone china plates with no real danger to themselves. Only the power to wreak destruction.

For all the bluster back and forth between our fans, there are actually things to like about Brighton. However, it was utterly despicable to try and advance this agenda in return for helping clubs in trouble and makes me hope they get relegated more than anything that's happened on the pitch between us.

Then there was talk it was raised during conversations between clubs during May:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ubs-see-an-opportunity-in-lower-league-crisis

Once again, keep tapping that stone time and again and maybe it'll crack in the end.

This week Man City have publically stepped into the fray. Not being a fan of one of the other clubs in their little special club I don't give that much of a monkeys how Man City stepped into their powerful position, displacing silverware, revenue and fans in China away from the other five. That isn't my fight and is voiced plenty by the media supporters of the big clubs. However, I do object strongly that, now they're entrenched as part of that inner circle, how keen they are now to try and pull up that drawbridge in every way they can and attack smaller clubs with an avarice bordering on gluttony.

They try to play the outsiders to UEFA and the European football power base but they're exactly the same wolves even if they try and dress themselves in sheep clothes.

Here's the latest little addition to the debate, this time from the Man City CEO:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mier-league-b-teams-in-efl-says-citys-soriano

Looks at how he couches it. 'Challenges developing players in England'. They really have managed to turn themselves into a Man Utd doppleganger in their approach to football in this country. Burn it all down as long as their own needs are being advanced.

There's another article covering it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-pyramid-but-england-and-southgate-surely-do

I realise I'm very old school in my approach to football. It's become a global game with global brands (note, not teams but brands) where following a small provincial team because you have some connection with the area is less and less what the game is about.

The Bixg Six have managed to engineer the top tier in England into a mockery of a competition which is all but closed to anyone outside of them, where you can view the Leicester year as the exception that proves the rule. However, if they now get to rip the heart out of the lower leagues by infecting the competition with their B teams then I'm out.

The sad thing is that's probably what they want. Move on the middle aged and old duffers that remember what it used to be like and instead cater only to the new fan who only see PL stars in their eyes.

I might be wrong but I have this horrible feeling it's on the way. When a few clubs start to go under over the next few months watch them extend their 'hand of friendship and support'. If you let them in and accept their conditional help then unfortunately, like with the mafia once you're in – you're in. There's no getting out.

That's my rant done. I thought I'd create a quick thread with a couple of links to specifically track this threat but once I started typing in anger didn't stop until I'd fully purged. Well done if you made it to the end.

Last edited:
This is an exceptional post. Thanks for being so on top of it. We might not be able to stop the tide but we can try, right? I don't think it's a populist stance to try and protect the community building potential of lower league football.

The mad thing is we'd probably be a little blind to the utter codswallop the premier league is if we hadn't posted up there for a while.

Last edited:
This is the football equivalent of Donald Trump's rise to power.

It needs stopping once and for all by the rest of the football league.

Along with Celtic and Rangers being let in at any level, even Sunday League.
Trumps rise to power had what as an alternative? Hilary Clinton !

The EFL and the history and tradition of football in this country has to be better to fight the PL with ....

No matter how stupid an idea, if you talk about it enough it can sometimes gain acceptance. Look at the support of the flat earth theory that has bizarrely sprung up over the past decade or so.

If you're in a position of power and you raise a ridiculous idea it can start to gain traction even if it's only for your concept to be seen as possibly legitimate by people.

If you use your influence to pressure people when they're in their worst ever place, telling them you have the answer to their problems but they need to accept their solution you're likely either the mafia, a religion or, it's starting to seem, a Premier League football club.

The idea of B teams in the Football League has been floated by representatives of the Big Six for many years as a solution to what they perceive to be a problem for them. When it first came up it was laughed at as totally at odds with the football culture in this country. That didn't stop it coming up here and there, different voices from the same cabal so now there probably isn't a football fan in the country that hasn't been exposed to this concept several times over the past ten years or so.

That slow, slow, slow insidious creep of the idea before has been picking up pace since the pandemic started. If the Big Six don't come across like the football business equivalent of comic books baddies already then taking advantage of this situation to further advance their own agendas at the expense of all other football in the country puts the final touches to that characterisation.

I mentioned way back here that I thought somehow the usual suspects would try and use their roles as 'saviours of English football' to actually get this in through the backdoor.

"...given the unedifying and unending appetite to dominate the game in this country from the top six, I'm sure they'd use it as some kind of leverage to later force through either B teams in the lower leagues or letting them take over smaller clubs as feeder clubs."

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/gillyhoof-want-our-help.11337/#post-359796

In a bizarre twist, a senior official at Brighton came out in support of it back in May.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-shutdown-brighton-dan-ashworth-a4436186.html

It's like he's already forgotten where they came from and somehow remains blissfully unaware that his team are merely canon fodder in the PL battle field whilst the Big Six generals sup team from bone china plates with no real danger to themselves. Only the power to wreak destruction.

For all the bluster back and forth between our fans, there are actually things to like about Brighton. However, it was utterly despicable to try and advance this agenda in return for helping clubs in trouble and makes me hope they get relegated more than anything that's happened on the pitch between us.

Then there was talk it was raised during conversations between clubs during May:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ubs-see-an-opportunity-in-lower-league-crisis

Once again, keep tapping that stone time and again and maybe it'll crack in the end.

This week Man City have publically stepped into the fray. Not being a fan of one of the other clubs in their little special club I don't give that much of a monkeys how Man City stepped into their powerful position, displacing silverware, revenue and fans in China away from the other five. That isn't my fight and is voiced plenty by the media supporters of the big clubs. However, I do object strongly that, now they're entrenched as part of that inner circle, how keen they are now to try and pull up that drawbridge in every way they can and attack smaller clubs with an avarice bordering on gluttony.

They try to play the outsiders to UEFA and the European football power base but they're exactly the same wolves even if they try and dress themselves in sheep clothes.

Here's the latest little addition to the debate, this time from the Man City CEO:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mier-league-b-teams-in-efl-says-citys-soriano

Looks at how he couches it. 'Challenges developing players in England'. They really have managed to turn themselves into a Man Utd doppleganger in their approach to football in this country. Burn it all down as long as their own needs are being advanced.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-pyramid-but-england-and-southgate-surely-do

I realise I'm very old school in my approach to football. It's become a global game with global brands (note, not teams but brands) where following a small provincial team because you have some connection with the area is less and less what the game is about.

The Bixg Six have managed to engineer the top tier in England into a mockery of a competition which is all but closed to anyone outside of them, where you can view the Leicester year as the exception that proves the rule. However, if they now get to rip the heart out of the lower leagues by infecting the competition with their B teams then I'm out.

The sad thing is that's probably what they want. Move on the middle aged and old duffers that remember what it used to be like and instead cater only to the new fan who only see PL stars in their eyes.

I might be wrong but I have this horrible feeling it's on the way. When a few clubs start to go under over the next few months watch them extend their 'hand of friendship and support'. If you let them in and accept their conditional help then unfortunately, like with the mafia once you're in – you're in. There's no getting out.

That's my rant done. I thought I'd create a quick thread with a couple of links to specifically track this threat but once I started typing in anger didn't stop until I'd fully purged. Well done if you made it to the end.

Brilliant post .
Feck ‘em all at the top - they can sod off to some boring self-serving European “ big club “ league and leave the real football to the rest of us .

I actually would have very little problem with the big 6 bogging off to a Euro super league. For starters it would be hilarious seeing everyone crying whilst they figured out who the big 6 actually were.

I'd like to think I'm pretty forward thinking but I just don't get it - the abject misery of following a big club just because you chose to and the total lack of real world solidarity that comes with it.

Brilliant post .
Feck ‘em all at the top - they can sod off to some boring self-serving European “ big club “ league and leave the real football to the rest of us .

Trumps rise to power had what as an alternative? Hilary Clinton !

The EFL and the history and tradition of football in this country has to be better to fight the PL with ....

As a follower of US politics, my comparison was with the fact that Trump was treated as a joke candidate by 90% of people, including Republicans as he wasn't a Republican.

He stood for the Republican candidature, somehow knocked out far better qualified candidates and the rest is history.

It's the gaining of a goal by stealth that worries me about under the 21 sides proposal.

It needs stopping right now.

So Kirsikka, what do you REALLY think about B teams in EFL?

Sadly, people like the Glazers and Fenway, understand the franchise model of USA sporting leagues, with no promotion and relegation and of course, salary caps.

The idea that a Lermer could buy a famous old football club, with trophies galore in years gone by, then see that club relegated and fail to accrue television revenue, thus ruining the business model, on which said club was bought, is anathema to such businessmen.

However look at how easily supporters succumb to 'the new' and it's easy to see that changes are afoot.

Stop referring to The Football League as the EFL and the League Cup as milk/Carabao etc. if you really want to maintain the status quo.

And stop referring to a few clubs as 'the big 6' as that has changed from 5 to 6 to 4 to 6, involving different clubs over the years.

I've posted this before but in 1975-ish it was the Big 5, of Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, Liverpool, Tottenham (yup, ManU. weren't considered likely to win anything) and it's just naff journalism, attempting to set a trend.

Wolves have the wealthiest, or joint wealthiest owners, so they will be looking to supplant Arsenal/THFC soon.

I can no longer find enthusiasm for the game. I used to read every match report (same with cricket) for all teams, including Scotland and watch MoTD/The Big Match with a fervour. Now, I read/watch our stuff, rarely bother to watch England and find things such as transfer window deadline day, a ridiculous bore (it's equivalent to a Formula 1 race, won in the pits)

I'll live with a nice steady time in the 3rd Division, with the odd cup run and occasional tilt at he play-offs.

This is a perfect example of a solution to a symptom and not a cause.

The big clubs want to put out B teams so that their huge roster of players can get a game. But this is only because they have such massive squad sizes with talented players in many cases not even being given a number.

the real solution is to limit squad sizes and stop the likes of Chelski and Man City hoarding talent that never gets to play.

It would be better for the fans because we'd get to see a better class of players across all leagues, it would be better for the players who would actually get to play and ultimately it would be better for the majority of clubs who would be facing opposition on much better terms.

The fact this is even being discussed as a possibility makes my f*****g blood boil. When oh when will the elite learn that football is more than just a means for them to generate profit, lower league football as at the hub of many communities and this needs to be protected at all costs. Bury vs Rochdale is (was) a fierce rivalry that supporters from these communities lived and breathed for, Rochdale vs Man City B is a nothing game that nobody could give a flying f**k about. If this gets passed we’re gradually moving to the point where it will be pointless to support a team unless they are one of the elite.

[QUOTE="If this gets passed we’re gradually moving to the point where it will be pointless to support a team unless they are one of the elite.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree but, of course, that is EXACTLY what thy want!

;