Preston - The Verdict

Like last season. Far too many players happy to go through the motions.
I feel like I accepted a while ago that too many of this group are not up for the fight. I’m starting to think that we might need a proper re build.

The 2nd goal was critical today, and we won't (shouldn't) concede many like that. No arguments the 3rd was poor but that happens when you are chasing a game.

Seemed like too many passes were coming up short, particularly for RoRo. They are professionals but seemed like we never got to the pace of the pitch.

Not sure if we shouldn't have played RoRo ahead of Stanislas not the other way around. I think maybe the Spanish connection influenced the formation.

Dom did okay, but he was isolated until Surridge came on and gave them more to defend.

Stacey's value has gone up again. Danjuma's value too.

Not sure why we would be immune to Championship which is renowned for any team can beat any team because results like this. It's happened to our challengers

Maybe we might see Travers soon , maybe Zemura. Maybe even King.

At least only 3 days to wait for chance to get over this.

Can you honestly say that we matched Preston’s levels of commitment tonight? Put aside what you think about me as a person for a minute. Can you seriously say that we matched them in terms of application and desire?
Well firstly i play the post not the poster.....i actually quite like you tbh.......secondly i don't believe our players have ever lacked desire and effort.....would you be blaming desire and effort if we had played like that with a back 3?......

Agree with many points mentioned here. A team of less talented grafters looks likely to always beat us. We need to stop trying to be clever, get the basics right and add some bite and determination to our play.
The players must understand that we are NOT better than this league, at least not without 100% application. They absolutely MUST understand this before we lose too many more points. I think whether or not this penny finally drops will absolutely define our season. Good luck JT !

Well firstly i play the post not the poster.....i actually quite like you tbh.......secondly i don't believe our players have ever lacked desire and effort.....would you be blaming desire and effort if we had played like that with a back 3?......
Tbh I believe you have a point, I was probably too obsessive over formations and systems earlier in the season. I think we’ve lacked desire and application on many occasions this season, playing both systems. Having said that I do still strongly believe that we are better suited to a four at the back. I’m afraid that I can’t agree that our players are giving their all for the cause.

I enjoyed watching three of our players today, Roro, Surridge and Anthony. They have a combined total of around 30 senior appearances between them but were the only ones who looked like making something happen. The rest of them can hang their heads in shame tbh. The others have individual quality for sure but 100% I’d rather watch an unproven player who actually has the desire to make something happen every day of the week.
Roro was very poor.. Sadly didn't take his chance to impress, offered very little.
Was very excited to see what he had to offer from the off..

Three big problems tonight:

- our CBs asleep much of the time;
- no leadership in midfield;
- both fullbacks lacking in energy and adventure.

Outcome - we looked a ropey outfight until the last 15 minutes. Then at the least the youngsters gave it a go.

Wasn't 4231 supposed to be the cure for all our troubles.

Except Lerma was in the free role further forwards and was often out on the wing, so I wasn't sure what we were trying to play.

Whatever it was shouldn't have taken the second goal to figure out it needed changing.

Did anybody else feel slightly envious watching that Preston team tonight? The way they were incredibly disciplined and well drilled, fighting for every ball like their life depended on it and incisive in everything that they did. Tonight was a classic example of the better team beating the better group of individuals.

The decline of Adam Smith is a curious one to me. Not so long ago he was a solid PL full back, even chipped in with goals. Looks a shadow of himself a few years ago.
Yeah, I mentioned that a few weeks ago. Injured? Out of position? Not sure what it is, but he hasn't been the threat that he was.

Did anybody else feel slightly envious watching that Preston team tonight? The way they were incredibly disciplined and well drilled, fighting for every ball like their life depended on it and incisive in everything that they did. Tonight was a classic example of the better team beating the better group of individuals.

Not in the slightest, the majority of this season the oppostion fans have been saying the same about us despite us being crap for most of it. Happens sometimes. That's football.

Hate to say it but Preston deserved to win. Loads of options on the counter attack and worked really had without the ball. Our play was slow and ponderous and movement off the ball non existent. Our full backs were responsible for the 1st & 3rd goals, they did not stop the low cross and did not track correctly the runner at the far post. We were finally better towards the end of the game when we had some tempo to our play.

Is there a law against occasionally using your backup goalie? Asmir has been brilliant this year, but 3 games in 7 days is a bit too much for anyone. Travers started the year as our number 1. Tuesday nights might be a good time to take him out of the witness protection program.

In this league I’d rather have depth than so much “talent”. If we don’t add to the squad with hard working championship level talent I’m not sure how this is going to work out. We are piss poor in the air and that needs to be fixed. We need to be active in January.

;