Prince Phillip has died

I notice looking at the Radio Times website BBC 1 and BBC 2 have nothing else on through the rest of today except a news special.

I saw him when I was an ankle biter and he was attending a function at Alexandra Palace, Lundun.

I was a scrawny little tyke in the midst of a crowd of onlookers and the only thing that has stuck in my mind for the last 60+ years was how blooming shiny his shoes were.

I looked down at my tatty plimsoles and wondered whether he played football in the street in his shiny shoes.

I notice looking at the Radio Times website BBC 1 and BBC 2 have nothing else on through the rest of today except a news special.
I know. I find it a bit OTT to be honest. I usually listen to Radio 2 streaming whilst I am working, then came the announcement of his death, promptly followed by the announcement that for the rest of the day, all usual programming was being stopped and replaced by a BBC news special about his passing. So I had to open Spotify. Gutted I was.

I had a mate whose sister worked at BBC news in some capacity and apparently they had tons of content in stock for years and years all about the Queen Mother, ready to roll it out when she finally popped her clogs ( this was in the late 80s ! ). She did a pretty decent job of making them wait in the end !

I dare say they have had the "Prince Philip has died" specials on a shelf at the BBC somewhere for several years now and are delighted that they can finally put them to good use. I get the need to pay respect but if this is what happens when the Queen's husband dies, I do wonder what they will do when Madge herself finally goes. Presumably a week or more of tributes and retrospectives to look forward to. Let's hope she hangs on for a while longer then !

RIP Phil.

Last edited:
Ive been invited by Phillip to attend St James palace previously and when I was younger also completed my DofE awards. Directly and indirectly I have had some great experiences due to his involvement in organisations.

There is plenty to dislike about the idea of royal families and their place in the modern world but The Queen and Prince Phillip have worked throughout their lives in service of the country with Phillip only stepping back from duties a couple of years ago.

We all have our faults, as I am sure he did too, but he lived his life well.

RIP

Shame he didn’t get to 100 and receive the telegram from his wife.

Feel sad for the Royals - he clearly lead a long and eventful life.

There was nothing on the telly or radio for DAYS when Diana died. Except a CGI Union Jack fluttering in some digital wind...

Apparently the Beeb are going back to normal from 6pm with the rest of the evening currently under review.

I think this might be the biggest threat to Lockdown yet. All we had left was TV and now they've taken that away as well!

;