Programmes

RobTrent

UTC Legend
The beauty of retirement!

A pleasant afternoon with a glass of wine, sat outside going through a small selection of old afcb programmes. They're not in that good condition, but I've no intention of selling the six boxes worth anyway.

If theres anyone who like to spend a week helping me get them all in chronological order then please shout!

I've attached photos of three programmes from friendly matches. I remember the Weymouth game but not the other two.

I also found a programme V Port Vale (1961) and Liverpool (1968), the latter of which a few have mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    823.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 20
Thank you to @table and the Good Lady for coming up today and getting the programmes sorted into decade order. Although some were a bit worse for wear the others were fine.

My oldest programme goes back to 1957 and the decade with the most programmes was the eighties. Also interesting to find a programme for the Keith Miller testimonial. @Put it in the mixer .

It was a pleasure Rob, the "some were a bit worse for wear, the others were fine" wasn't a reference to your visitors I hope, I thought the Good Lady was very restrained : )

Think printed programmes are on the way out which is a shame as they bring back so many memories when look through them - have an immediacy that doesn’t exist for online content especially as so much gets archived. Especially beneficial/memorable in your early years of watching games.

An interesting development by Swansea who offered a service for collectors where you can order a printed programme to be delivered as a full year or half year set at the end of season - otherwise it was a neat pocket sized extract at the game.

Thank you to @table and the Good Lady for coming up today and getting the programmes sorted into decade order. Although some were a bit worse for wear the others were fine.

My oldest programme goes back to 1957 and the decade with the most programmes was the eighties. Also interesting to find a programme for the Keith Miller testimonial. @Put it in the mixer .

My question is, to Mrs and Mr table. Could I book you to come up to Manchester sort my programme collection in the near future please?

This is, of course, a paid role, currently at the Northern living wage rate of one groat per day. Lunch and dinner will of course be provided (We currently have a surfeit of gruel)

Accommodation is provided, under the Manchester stars, or, if preferred, at the Manure bomb shelter (all safety checks have been completed (even the bogs!!!)

Thank you.

If it were practical Audenshaw, we'd love to visit and sort your prog-probs. Unfortunately, we can't accept your generous offer due to dietary considerations. Where as I'm happy to have 3 meals of Chips, Pie, Peas and Gravy a day, the Good Lady is a fussy eater and will only eat vegetarian gubbins : )

The most difficult part of sorting a pile of programmes, by far and away, is resisting picking one up, just to look at one page. By the time you put it down, 3 hours have past and there's 6 programmes in a heap that you've just "glanced" at : )

If it were practical Audenshaw, we'd love to visit and sort your prog-probs. Unfortunately, we can't accept your generous offer due to dietary considerations. Where as I'm happy to have 3 meals of Chips, Pie, Peas and Gravy a day, the Good Lady is a fussy eater and will only eat vegetarian gubbins : )

The most difficult part of sorting a pile of programmes, by far and away, is resisting picking one up, just to look at one page. By the time you put it down, 3 hours have past and there's 6 programmes in a heap that you've just "glanced" at : )

If I were to tell you that the gruel is vegetarian, it's northern name is 'seaweed soup', would that help?

If I were to tell you that the gruel is vegetarian, it's northern name is 'seaweed soup', would that help?

Sorry Auders' old chap but it's still a "Thanks but no thanks". Up your way isn't a thin stew a Scouse and one without meat a Blind Scouse?

Sorting through Rob's bits and bobs, it took a great deal of willpower not to go on any excursions. There were copies of Out of Court ( written, printed, sold by a Mr R. Trent). Newspaper clippings of a young activist called Mr. Robert Trent. Something else that caught my eye was a Hartlepool(s) programme, on the front cover, as a club emblem, was the hangman gallows ( from the game) with a dead monkey hanging from it. Different times : )

Scouse is a delicacy from a little further west than I and is rarely mentioned in Manchester, unless Manure beat Klopp.

Your news is very disappointing, although I do realise that Mrs table may have had some problems getting into the loft, so I suppose the collection will have to wait until some other kind/gullible person agrees to look at them. (I keep telling people that 'they may be worth a lot one day' - when we win the Champions League)

Hopefully, I will meet you again at our first away game of the season, just down the road from me, for another 5-0 drubbing.

:utc:

;