Promotion v Bolton or Promotion v Forest ?

bigfatolly

Star Player
So,you are at the pearly gates.

You are about to step in and God says that before you are allowed in ,you can re live one of the above matches.

Which one do you choose?

It's a difficult one because both matches are different things to different people.

Against Bolton there was a certain inevitability that we were going up,Bolton were a poor side and it would only be a matter of time before we got what we needed.

Forest so different in many ways,there was no certainty in it,and many different scenarios depending on the result.

I don't think I have ever been that tense at a football match,and for me the atmosphere in the ground was amongst the best ever at a home game.

I think I know which game most would pick though....

The Bolton game was the culmination of an entire journey. From -17 to the Premier League.

Like all good movie’s it had its bit in the middle where it lost its way a bit, but that all just added to the drama of the comeback…

So that’s why Bolton and being the first time stands out.

But as one single event. Forgetting all the rest. The Forest game was extraordinary for promotion to come down to a single shoot-out between two sides. With the other side in unbelievable form.

Tough one!

Bolton,just,because it was unbelievable. All those years and none of us thought it remotely possible until half way through that season when we dared to dream.

Forest as a footballing one off was incredible though. A straight shoot out. I didn’t think we’d lose to Bolton the week before, I had real fear with Forest because they did look bloody good in the lead up.

So Forest the better match, Bolton the better occasion and the end of a miracle with a team of journeymen so shades it.

Can we transfer the tension of beating a direct opponent, and the post match Red Army, to Bolton game, then that will win all the way

Both amazing for different reasons and feel so lucky to have seen both.

Bolton was far less tense and we cruised to a comfortable victory playing absolutely sensational football. Also it being the first time reaching the promised land in our history and knowing we were about to take a step into the unknown made all the more exciting.

If your could custom build your own football match it would be the Forrest game. Two top teams in the league, under the lights, big prize on the line, late winner. When the ball hit the back of the net it was one of the best feelings I think I've had as a fan (the sound of Pugh's strike cracking the inside of the post Vs Bolton is close and still gives me tingles). The tension released in that moment was epic.

I think Bolton slightly edges it for me on the fact at the time it's was a historical step into the unknown for the club, whereas we know what to expect from the premier League now.

Not changed my mind, even before the Forest game was in our minds, for me the night we beat Bolton at Dean Court will never be beaten.

It was the end of a build up through the leagues starting in the fourth until we reached the first (PL).

It was our first time ever in the the Premier League a league we thought was only in our dreams, but that dream came true and will never be forgotten.

The second time we got promoted against Nottingham Forest was enjoyable, but I didn’t get that same feeling I had after beating Bolton.

Bolton for me too. Not ashamed to say I shed tears when Wilson scored the 3rd in front of the North Stand and we knew it was definitely happening.

But I was surprised at how close Tuesday came. Agree that the atmosphere was up there with the best ever and the Red Army after the game was really, really special.

I saw the Forest game on TV but not the Bolton one. I think with the Bolton one we were more or less nailed on for promotion. For the Forest game we had a lot to do and we did it well. So Forest for me.

Agree with most. 14/15 was just a brilliant season, with 8 teams battling it out for the vast majority of it. We smashed teams away time and again.
The Bolton victory sealed an impossible dream into reality, and we had no idea what the heck to expect in the PL.

That in turn, unbelievably led to 5 seasons in the PL, which eventually led to an inevitable relegation.

The big question was always how would we cope, would we ever get close to getting back? The high likelihood was, we would have to do it quickly, or perhaps never achieve it again.

Oh, and then lockdown.

So this season starts like a train, with upwards of 5 u21s in team.

Fans in the stadium again. My first game back, a first ever away win at Forest, who would have known how crucial that was at the time?

15 unbeaten, and then some inconsistency here and there.

Ultimately coming down to a Forest shoot out, although the cards were stacked in our favour.

High tension, and I am just as delighted to have won promotion again.

This time I do know, what to expect, and am excited about the progression of this team. I think the vast majority of us, just haven't given them quite enough credit. Perhaps because we have been there before? Parachute payments, sure, but many don't make it back.

14/15 could never be repeated. 21/22 came bloody close.

However this is the here and now, so right now Forest was better, because it has opened the door again to the glorious unknown (and guaranteed the obvious financial injection to keep it all going for a few more seasons yet).

;