Queens Park Rangers v AFC Bournemouth

What year do you think that was, Billy?

It was Saturday 2nd March 1963, as you say it was 1-0.

The attendance 8,923.

Alec Stock was their manager at the time, later to be our manager.

Well it wasn’t this one. :grinning:

Queens Park Rangers made their debut at the White City Stadium on the 5th of September 1931 for a Third Division South match against Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic. It had been hoped that more than 40,000 people would turn out for the start of this new era, but in the end just short of 19,000 people turned out. The programme notes for that match were predictably full of optimism for the sstart of a new era:

Their return to their other home was delayed by the weather, but QPR finally returned to The White City Stadium on the 6th October 1962, where a crowd of more than 15,000 people saw them beaten 1-0 by Notts County. The stadium itself had changed a little by this time, with its capacity having been reduced to about 70,000, but familiar problems started to raise their head almost immediately. Again, there was little enthusiasm amongst supporters for the move, and the thirty years between their spells there hadn’t seen the shape of White City change, meaning that fans were a long way from the pitch, again scattered around a huge stadium with tens of thousands of empty seats for every match.

The club sought to take advantage of the excellent catering facilties at White City by offering “Ritz style soccer”, with fine dining at tables with a view of the pitch, and initally it looked as though Rangers might be able to make something approaching a go of it, but this time luck was not on their side. One of the worst winters on record swept in at the start of 1963, causing a decimation of the league and cup programmes. Crowds plummeted in the new year and the team finished the season in 13th place in the table, their lowest league position since Alec Stock arrived at the club, four years earlier. The average attendance for the 1962/63 season was just 10,041 people, 10% down on the previous season at Loftus Road. Their last match there, a 3-1 home defeat against Coventry City, was watched by just 3,245 people.

https://twohundredpercent.net/bad-things-queens-park-rangers/j

Odds on Austin scores?

This is a really tough game as Cardiff will be next week. Think these two games make/break woodgate’s hopes of a prolonged run as manager.

by the end of feb (last game is Watford) thinks signposts how rest of season will go
That 3-0 defeat in 2013 was one of the very few times that we looked devoid of confidence or belief in ourselves and what we were doing - once Austin scored we were second best by a mile .
However, we kept learning and tweaking our team and style and finished the season v well , including that 2-1 over QPR at ours ....

agreed plus days after that drubbing at qpr we won at reading and never loooked back at the bottom of the championship table again

The old White City stadium, only ever went there with my dad to watch greyhound racing when I was a kid.

Didn’t realise greyhound racing could attract crowds of 90,000.

Think at one time they had International Horse Show there which was televised.

Well it wasn’t this one. :grinning:

Queens Park Rangers made their debut at the White City Stadium on the 5th of September 1931 for a Third Division South match against Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic.

Come on, Bill, we all know you were at that one too

In your OAP discounted seat;)

Begovic
Smith, CCV, Kelly, R:cowboy:ico
Pearson, Wilshere, Lerma
Billing
( roaming number 10 )
Stanilas, Surridge

Subs - Travers, Cook, Danjuma, Mepham, Brooks, Zemura, Requelme, Long

What do you think ?

Just for the record..... I haven't been interviewed

Begovic
Pearson, Wilshere, Lerma
Billing
( roaming number 10 )
Stanilas, Surridge

What do you think ?

Stan playing on the right again?.......YOU'RE FIRED!.....:arrghh:

Bring Danjuma on as an impact sub.
If he plays from the off, he'll play on the left, they'll have two men on him, he'll achieve little and it will be a waste of time (I could be wrong and he'll score a spectacular goal but judging from recent appearances I'm more likely to be right).

Last edited:
Begovic
Pearson, Wilshere, Lerma
Billing
( roaming number 10 )
Stanilas, Surridge

What do you think ?

Depends if our aim is to set up for a point like Forest or be brave for 3.

Lerma and Pearson guarantees a point without attacking intent, but puts a lot on Wilshere and Stan to create.

Mid-week tactically required some players to lump it forward, making most of all Lewis look out of place. He certainly could not pass to Billing , who goal aside has been poor on the ball for some time and was all over the place.

I would want to see Lewis, Pearson, and Wilshere as that midfield three. High passing accuracy, happy to take on players and know when to cover each other.

I would also bring in Brooks for Stan, controversial, but right footed Stan has to figure out how to make right wing his own so we can accommodate Danjuma, who scores more from open play. Brooks has a place to fight for now.

Long ahead of Surridge. Marginal but he is trying the right runs and expect the rest to be on his wavelength and vice versa by now.

Depends if our aim is to set up for a point like Forest or be brave for 3.

Lerma and Pearson guarantees a point without attacking intent, but puts a lot on Wilshere and Stan to create.

Mid-week tactically required some players to lump it forward, making most of all Lewis look out of place. He certainly could not pass to Billing , who goal aside has been poor on the ball for some time and was all over the place.

I would want to see Lewis, Pearson, and Wilshere as that midfield three. High passing accuracy, happy to take on players and know when to cover each other.

I would also bring in Brooks for Stan, controversial, but right footed Stan has to figure out how to make right wing his own so we can accommodate Danjuma, who scores more from open play. Brooks has a place to fight for now.

Long ahead of Surridge. Marginal but he is trying the right runs and expect the rest to be on his wavelength and vice versa by now.
I think lerma gets picked pretty much every game by every manager because he's all over the pitch, he may have had some off games, but defensively he's the one winning balls

This will be a tough game.....they're playing well and we're not!......actually surprised that they have struggled this season tbh as they looked decent against us eairlier in the season .

I had hoped that we'd see Danjuma up front at some point but given that our game plan now seems to involve hoofing it up field in the general direction of our lone striker i suppose we'll to stick with Shane Long or Sam Surridge.

....................................BEGO
SMITH..............CCV.............KELLY...............RICO
....................PEARSON.............LERMA
......................................BILLING
............BROOKS.................................STAN

................................SURRIDGE

Reactions: key
I think lerma gets picked pretty much every game by every manager because he's all over the pitch, he may have had some off games, but defensively he's the one winning balls
We didn't pick him for the Reading game tbf................that Lewis Cook/Wilshere partnership looked immense!

This will be a tough game.....they're playing well and we're not!......actually surprised that they have struggled this season tbh as they looked decent against us eairlier in the season .

I had hoped that we'd see Danjuma up front at some point but given that our game plan now seems to involve hoofing it up field in the general direction of our lone striker i suppose we'll to stick with Shane Long or Sam Surridge.

....................................BEGO
SMITH..............CCV.............KELLY...............RICO
....................PEARSON.............LERMA
......................................BILLING
............BROOKS.................................STAN

................................SURRIDGE

Switch Kelly for Rico and bring Mepham into the middle with CCV

Just as an aside....apparently QPR have stopped "taking the knee" before games, does that mean the opposition, in this case us ,will not take the knee tomorrow?
Brentford are to stop it ....Wilfred Zaha has said he will no longer do it.

If JW gets a Win tomorrow..and another v Cardiff ...will the club cancel talks with candidates for the job ? Maybe that's their stance from now until after the Cardiff game!

Last edited:

;