Racism in football

Same morons at chelsea, I can honestly say I don't recall any racism at dean court, yes there are morons, but not to that degree.
Actually at the sheff utd game someone started booing the team at full time, guy near me, who normally is quiet as a mouse, had a right go at him, good on him.

Makes you wonder how people put up with it a few years back when next to nothing was even said about it in the public eye.

Is there more racism nowadays, or is it just that the media are actually bothering to shine a light on it now?
Obviously in the 70’s and 80’s there was a lot more racism inside grounds. By the 90’s and early 2000’s, while I wouldn’t say it was totally eradicated, you didn’t hear much in stadiums. I know players from that era have said they didn’t experience any.

The thing now with social media, those who couldn’t get away abuse inside stadiums now have another platform. So I don’t think there is any more racism, it’s just easier to express racist views.

I think football crowds just reflect society. I think there is more intolerance and racism generally compared to a few years ago.

Obviously in the 70’s and 80’s there was a lot more racism inside grounds. By the 90’s and early 2000’s, while I wouldn’t say it was totally eradicated, you didn’t hear much in stadiums. I know players from that era have said they didn’t experience any.

The thing now with social media, those who couldn’t get away abuse inside stadiums now have another platform. So I don’t think there is any more racism, it’s just easier to express racist views.

Yeah, but I also think the BBC (for example) seem to be reporting on racist incidents nearly every week in this season (granted we're only two weeks in). I don't remember them doing this even last season. It seems to me at least, that they're making an effort to highlight racism much more this year than the last. There's been racism and all the isms on social media for years, so the fact that we're actually reading about it more in the media is almost a good thing. Now we just need to make sure people are actually punished for it.

Remember some horrendous racism from our fans at Brentford in the paint pot a few years back (remember? We lost 6-0??).

Not really keen on repeating it but one black Brentford player with cornrows was abused for the way he looked as he walked past us back to the dressing room after being injured and later, a black steward was compared to an infamous African dictator via the very auidible and unmistakable medium of chanting for asking someone to take a flag down.

I fortunately can't recall anything since then but there's always a few small minded idiots everywhere you go who hold these awful views. Just look at the massive increase in racist attacks against practically every colour and creed that's not "british and praaad" following Brexit...

While we probably still have them hiding in the woodwork I at least hope they've learned to keep their moronic thoughts to themselves these days.

Seems to be rearing it’s ugly head more often lately. It’s 2019 for goodness sake, I don’t understand how there are still narrow minded individuals who post things or make comments and think they will get away with it.

There is absolutely no excuse for it, he only missed a penalty.

Breaking news: Manchester United say they are 'disgusted' that Chelsea are getting more attention than them, and need to be on all the pages as there's a stock price to think of

expect flack for that cockbeard me old cocker :wave:

fwiw - I think football grounds and our society in general are a hell of lot more tolerant and inclusive than 30, 20, 10 or even 5 years ago.

Social media just gives an easy and effortless outlet for trolls, cnuts, racists etc. to vent their spleen, which wasn’t around 10-20 years ago or newsworthy a couple of years back.

Is there more racism nowadays, or is it just that the media are actually bothering to shine a light on it now?

I agree with you, as far as the United States is concerned. The racism that was open in society in the 60's and 70's was much more egregious than today. And it wasn't corrected or condemned. It was in everyday use and conversation.
Today, people are aware and if a racist reaction or comment is made, a spotlight is quickly put on it. That is what you noted.
There was no such thing as the N-word, people just said the word. As far as jobs, they might as well have put out "Need not apply" signs. I was raised in the Southern parts of US, so I know this stuff was really bad.

I am not downplaying that racism exists today, but believe me, it is not at the level of that time in history.

expect flack for that cockbeard me old cocker :wave:

I'm not denying it exists, just that a sanitised press release showing mock outrage seems to lack sincerity. Also it does nothing about the problem. Would rather the club said nothing at first, then after a few days say they've identified culprits and issued 60 banning orders

I guess being seen to be doing something is far more important than actually doing something

I'm not denying it exists, just that a sanitised press release showing mock outrage seems to lack sincerity. Also it does nothing about the problem. Would rather the club said nothing at first, then after a few days say they've identified culprits and issued 60 banning orders

I guess being seen to be doing something is far more important than actually doing something
The club can't ban people from social media.

They can ban them from the ground, sends a message
edit: it's private property, all right of entry is reserved, they don;t have to give a reason if they don't want to, whether the abuse is online or in stadium, what's the difference??

They can ban them from the ground, sends a message
edit: it's private property, all right of entry is reserved, they don;t have to give a reason if they don't want to, whether the abuse is online or in stadium, what's the difference??
The difference is that many online trolls dont go to games.

The difference is that many online trolls dont go to games.

Exactly, it’s easy and effortless. One of the reasons I don’t use social media.

Also at risk of being accused of slagging the Beeb off again, it’s easy (and lazy) journalism to look for “outrage stories” by trawling it - other news outlets do it too but it does seem to me as though the Beeb have far more of such “stories” on their webpages compared to similar news outlets.

For some reason i never thought i would come across racial abuse at a family club like bournemouth. I couldn’t believe what i heard when a father sat in the family stand screamed at cardiff’s Lee Peltier “You f** monkey” at the beginning of last season. As he was sat somewhere behind me I couldn’t tell who the culprit was but i know from a fact because of his voice he’s still attending every week.

;