Racism in football

That's why I don't think it's a lefty BBC agenda to make more of it. Unfortunately people have beliefs and in the privacy of your own home, I don't care what you say, but growing up as the only brown boy on West Howe, I certainly noticed racism in the early 80s. It had died down but in recent years I thik folk like Farge and Yaxley Lennon have made folk think hatred is ok. So some people feel emboldened, especially hiding behind online personas (yes I know, but my real name is Ben Usaf, not hard to find) and think that behaviour that 10 years ago was unacceptable has been given a mandate

I agree with you, as far as the United States is concerned. The racism that was open in society in the 60's and 70's was much more egregious than today. And it wasn't corrected or condemned. It was in everyday use and conversation.
Today, people are aware and if a racist reaction or comment is made, a spotlight is quickly put on it. That is what you noted.
There was no such thing as the N-word, people just said the word. As far as jobs, they might as well have put out "Need not apply" signs. I was raised in the Southern parts of US, so I know this stuff was really bad.

I am not downplaying that racism exists today, but believe me, it is not at the level of that time in history.
The other comment I will make from over here is that the term "racism" is put forward for just about any reason. It is widely used to include personal preferences, personal dislikes, and many other things that would hardly qualify as racist behaviour back in the 60's/70's or before. Today, if someone makes a comment along the lines of "I really don't like that Callum Wilson guy", there is a cohort that will immediately jump to the point that the speaker is a racist.

As with others, I don't think overt racism that causes harm to folks or limits their opportunities in life has any place in the world. But again, if I say I don't like "hip hop" music, I am hardly a racist for that.

A political commentator called Keith Boykin on CNN said recently that anyone who voted for Donald Trump is a racist. I did not see a ripple of dissent/disgust from the righteous left. Go figure.

This is at the nexus of the Trump popularity. "White folks" born in the 1950's have been exposed to many overtures to even up the playing field. That opportunity was missed in the 1920's. I have attended sensitivity training lectures, seen "equal opportunity" in action, watched political correctiness go mad.

I'm not saying that any of this was not without some foundation, but when you are told for decades that "people like you" are the cause of the ills of the world, you have to anticipate a backlash. And hence the rise of the populist right.

Like others have said... there has been a rise in xenophobia in Britain and America in the last four years that gives semi credence to
Idiots. Couple this with the anonymity of social media (which social media companies can’t be arsed with) and it’s a cocktail for abuse.

Shame, as for a long time we looked to be leaving the 80s dark ages behind.

You'd think white people born in the 50s have had it hard if you listened to all their whinging. Truth is no group of people have ever, or probably will ever, have it easier than them.

They did have to eat spam and Black Forest gateaux and watch ‘it ain’t half hot mum’ so it wasn’t all a walk in the park ;)

Johnson, Farage et al have consciously promoted intolerance and have provided 'permission' for more extreme views. The mail and express etc have provided a magnificent echo chamber for this. It's a small step towards fascism.

Like others have said... there has been a rise in xenophobia in Britain and America in the last four years that gives semi credence to
Idiots. Couple this with the anonymity of social media (which social media companies can’t be arsed with) and it’s a cocktail for abuse.

Shame, as for a long time we looked to be leaving the 80s dark ages behind.

I’m not sure that racists or racism have ever gone away, xenophobia has always been around, albeit mostly overt in areas with different racial groups. There will always be those who express hatred of those different to themselves, because they are ignorant and small minded.

The difference these days is with the explosion of social media and the ability to spread hatred and express it anonymously. Those who would previously have been afraid to express their views can now do so in the knowledge that the worst that will happen is their current Twitter account gets shut down.

You'd think white people born in the 50s have had it hard if you listened to all their whinging. Truth is no group of people have ever, or probably will ever, have it easier than them.

Every generation has advantages/disadvantages. Being a person born in the 50's, I am amazed at the wonderful advantages of life that this generation have. You didn't grow up with so many of the problems that we took for granted. Bullying was taken as a right of passage, family abuse was no one's business, beatings were good parenting, teachers were always right, there was no student loans, people disappeared, kids seen and not heard, zero sex education (we were told that girls HATED it, so do you think that made things better) and there was no communication or availability to information. If you were being cheated, abused or in any bad situation, you really had no idea.
Anyone my age could go on and on, but you wouldn't want to hear it. You love to have that idea white American was born rich and just had to show up. Great narrative if you were a Kennedy, but for the great unwashed, life is life. There is good and bad for every generation, so don't be stunned when people critique your generation based on media snapshots either.
Now, anyone will acknowledge it was WORSE for women and minorities. But I know few of my generation who aren't in awe of what this generation has and can do. So quit whining yourself.

Big difference SDD between having it easy and having opportunity. My parents almost missed the mortgage a number of times, but didn't ask for handouts. I started working at 14 in the summer months and on weekends to pay for uni. Dago, wop, guinea, mobster-boy ... heard them all. Yes, we have had privilege, but we also got job opportunities passed over for "affirmative action". As I said, I'll be damned if I am painted a racist, just because I don't like the neighbours up the street.

Well said @OBX.

Every generation has advantages/disadvantages. Being a person born in the 50's, I am amazed at the wonderful advantages of life that this generation have. You didn't grow up with so many of the problems that we took for granted. Bullying was taken as a right of passage, family abuse was no one's business, beatings were good parenting, teachers were always right, there was no student loans, people disappeared, kids seen and not heard, zero sex education (we were told that girls HATED it, so do you think that made things better) and there was no communication or availability to information. If you were being cheated, abused or in any bad situation, you really had no idea.
Anyone my age could go on and on, but you wouldn't want to hear it. You love to have that idea white American was born rich and just had to show up. Great narrative if you were a Kennedy, but for the great unwashed, life is life. There is good and bad for every generation, so don't be stunned when people critique your generation based on media snapshots either.
Now, anyone will acknowledge it was WORSE for women and minorities. But I know few of my generation who aren't in awe of what this generation has and can do. So quit whining yourself.

Of course there are generational differences that will be good or bad and obviously there are individual examples of hardships in all generations but if you look at any statistical measure of how well the baby boomer generation have done compared to those before or since and they are on top. This is a UK perspective based largely on wealth associated with housing booms but compare the wealth generated at age 30 by people born in the 30s, 40s, 50s 60s 70s 80s etc and it's clear as day. Also compare the retirement age of these groups and you see the same stark contrast.

They do best in the fundamentals.

Big difference SDD between having it easy and having opportunity. My parents almost missed the mortgage a number of times, but didn't ask for handouts. I started working at 14 in the summer months and on weekends to pay for uni. Dago, wop, guinea, mobster-boy ... heard them all. Yes, we have had privilege, but we also got job opportunities passed over for "affirmative action". As I said, I'll be damned if I am painted a racist, just because I don't like the neighbours up the street.

Well said @OBX.

As OBX says, the one thing that is worse than having to deal with the scourge of affirmative action... is being a minority. Again, stats are pretty clear on these things.

Interesting your choice of "fundamentals". So, is health care a fundamental? It wasn't on the list back then. It is a cost now, but it is available. How about education? If your parents could/would send you, great, but not guaranteed. Take a look at the houses back then versus now. A family of five in a 600-800 two bedroom wasn't considered lower class. Dental care, again, a privilege and it hurt. So much of the money issues are because of things being better not worse. There are costs for things that didn't exist now. Take a look at roads back then versus now. And there were zero costs for taking care of the underprivileged, so I guess we had that going for us.
My generation is the generation that changed everything. Before, it was just trust the powers that be and they would take care of you. My generation was the first that said no. They said no for a reason and that was that things were not easy, but those in charge wanted us to accept it. For the first time, kids said no, they wouldn't go to war. For the first time, women started demanding rights. For the first time, blacks demanded respect. Of course, what you take for fundamentals are different. That generation changed the world, after the generation before it saved it.

Oh and by the way, all we had was Playboy magazine. That's it. If you wanted to see a t$%te, you had National Geographic in the library, if your Dad didn't get it.
See, its all about quality of life.

Interesting your choice of "fundamentals". So, is health care a fundamental? It wasn't on the list back then. It is a cost now, but it is available. How about education? If your parents could/would send you, great, but not guaranteed. Take a look at the houses back then versus now. A family of five in a 600-800 two bedroom wasn't considered lower class. Dental care, again, a privilege and it hurt. So much of the money issues are because of things being better not worse. There are costs for things that didn't exist now. Take a look at roads back then versus now. And there were zero costs for taking care of the underprivileged, so I guess we had that going for us.
My generation is the generation that changed everything. Before, it was just trust the powers that be and they would take care of you. My generation was the first that said no. They said no for a reason and that was that things were not easy, but those in charge wanted us to accept it. For the first time, kids said no, they wouldn't go to war. For the first time, women started demanding rights. For the first time, blacks demanded respect. Of course, what you take for fundamentals are different. That generation changed the world, after the generation before it saved it.

Well as I say I'm only talking from a UK perspective and so healthcare isn't a relevant comparison between the generations, if it is it hasn't got better. Education has definitely got less affordable for younger generations. We've got a relatively fixed housing stock but families are in smaller and smaller accomodation for given wage levels as the generations pass (their landlords very likely to be baby boomers benefitting from a chronic housing shortage).

I think you've taken my words out of context - I've not criticised your generation other than to say moaning about the impact that affirmative action etc has had on white people it is a bit of a joke compared to the lot of non-white people. I have said they had it easier than generations before or since - not a criticism but a fact.

Another fact is that my generation (1980s) have it a hell of a lot easier than our kids will. Such is progress.

Oh and by the way, all we had was Playboy magazine. That's it. If you wanted to see a t$%te, you had National Geographic in the library, if your Dad didn't get it.
See, its all about quality of life.

No doubt about this. We had to rely on finding stashed carrier bags of dirty magazines in the woods (which in fairness were not uncommon). Kids these days don't know how easy they've got it. ;)

People in the 50s had it easy ???
Christ ..war rationing didnt end until 54....our mother had to walk 2+ miles and back to get the meagre portions of meat or fish.. and milk...dragging me along on foot and my brother in a pram from Waterloo Est to Creekmoor village...with dad on £5 a week for 6 days at Poole Power station . on his day off it was fishing off Hamworthy quay or Bournemouth pier to keep us above poverty ..and that was after he had served wartime in the Desert of North Africa and mother at Holton Heath Ammunition factory...they couldnt afford a 2nd hand car until 1960...easy in the 50s ?... Some people are so disrespectful of our history....

People in the 50s had it easy ???
Christ ..war rationing didnt end until 54....our mother had to walk 2+ miles and back to get the meagre portions of meat or fish.. and milk...dragging me along on foot and my brother in a pram from Waterloo Est to Creekmoor village...with dad on £5 a week for 6 days at Poole Power station . on his day off it was fishing off Hamworthy quay or Bournemouth pier to keep us above poverty ..and that was after he had served wartime in the Desert of North Africa and mother at Holton Heath Ammunition factory...they couldnt afford a 2nd hand car until 1960...easy in the 50s ?... Some people are so disrespectful of our history....

Boasting on behalf of previous generations again Bill? People born in the 50s was the point.

Well as I say I'm only talking from a UK perspective and so healthcare isn't a relevant comparison between the generations, if it is it hasn't got better. Education has definitely got less affordable for younger generations. We've got a relatively fixed housing stock but families are in smaller and smaller accomodation for given wage levels as the generations pass (their landlords very likely to be baby boomers benefitting from a chronic housing shortage).

I think you've taken my words out of context - I've not criticised your generation other than to say moaning about the impact that affirmative action etc has had on white people it is a bit of a joke compared to the lot of non-white people. I have said they had it easier than generations before or since - not a criticism but a fact.

Another fact is that my generation (1980s) have it a hell of a lot easier than our kids will. Such is progress.

Oh, I think affirmative action and women's rights are only fair. And having a wife born in the 50's is a dream compared to now!!! I am definitely spoiled.

I think you've taken my words out of context
That's an interesting one, because it seemed to me that you were doing just that. Pretty selective commentary.

Another fact is that my generation (1980s) have it a hell of a lot easier than our kids will.
That's true. The children of baby boomers stand to inherit the biggest transfer of wealth in history. Created during a time when we actually built things, manufactured things, and had the good fortune of relative peace following WW2 (I know, cold war, Korea, etc, it wasn't all kumbaya).

But after decades of the do-gooders and politically correct telling us that we are wrong-uns, does the left not realize that the backlash is a natural reaction?

As to your kids .... I would not under any circumstances want to be that age again. Theirs will be one major fubar'd world.

That's an interesting one, because it seemed to me that you were doing just that. Pretty selective commentary.

That's true. The children of baby boomers stand to inherit the biggest transfer of wealth in history. Created during a time when we actually built things, manufactured things, and had the good fortune of relative peace following WW2 (I know, cold war, Korea, etc, it wasn't all kumbaya).

But after decades of the do-gooders and politically correct telling us that we are wrong-uns, does the left not realize that the backlash is a natural reaction?

As to your kids .... I would not under any circumstances want to be that age again. Theirs will be one major fubar'd world.

It seems that you've convinced yourself that your generation has worked harder than those before or since - I don't agree. It's a coincidence of the timing of the property booms that has generated this wealth, something that is not available to the same degree to generations before or since.

Personally I don't think the move into hereditary wealth generation rather than allowing people to generate wealth themselves is a good thing at all. In fact it's going to lead to major trouble that, as you rightly say, is going to cause major problems for future generations.

I've not criticised your generation for being wronguns at all, none of us can do anything about when we were born and we all just try to do our best.

I criticised you for whinging about the difficulties of white people from that generation, which is laughable given how literally any other group have more to whinge about.

;