Racism in football

Perception?

I've been to Africa and seen slums, such as Kibera, and didn't see any white faces in them.

Aside from South Africa and Zimbabwe, I'd expect that the vast majority of white folks in Africa live in excellent surroundings, unlike the indigineous populations.

Whether it's white privilege or a hangover from empire, the reality is that the vast majority of whites in Africa are elites.

Right . I was replying to cockbeard I took it that he was saying whites are not the elites of Africa . I was saying we are ... Ive spent a lot of time in Africa Lord Jim is alive and well .

Not strictly true.

Racism these days is much more subtle - it's getting the interview but not the job, that sort of thing.
I'm not really sure if you are "over here" or "over there". But, you have to be here, or watching closely, to see that it's become far less subtle .... again, on either side. Pick up CNN or Fox News for a couple of evenings if you can.

My donation to the thread
15 years ago. Would it stand up today? I'm really not sure, I suspect for some reason that it would be followed by a caveat of some sort.

I agree with what @adam0102 says on the topic.

I would say that what we once called "stereotypes" has now been escaled to "racism".

I'm not really sure if you are "over here" or "over there". But, you have to be here, or watching closely, to see that it's become far less subtle .... again, on either side. Pick up CNN or Fox News for a couple of evenings if you can.

15 years ago. Would it stand up today? I'm really not sure, I suspect for some reason that it would be followed by a caveat of some sort.

I agree with what @adam0102 says on the topic.

I would say that what we once called "stereotypes" has now been escaled to "racism".

As far as America goes . I go through my day when in the only truly multicultural country in the world getting along with just about the whole colour spectrum on the planet , people laugh have a joke ( yes even about our races ) have relationships work together and generally don’t give race a second thought ...until you make the mistake of turning on one of those channels you named or one of the many other talking head stations ... then you would think your in the middle of some race war . A lot of money is made and big ratings come from race baiting ... I think cockbeard alluded to the same thing concerning the BBC .

As far as America goes . I go through my day when in the only truly multicultural country in the world getting along with just about the whole colour spectrum on the planet , people laugh have a joke ( yes even about our races ) have relationships work together and generally don’t give race a second thought ...until you make the mistake of turning on one of those channels you named or one of the many other talking head stations ... then you would think your in the middle of some race war . A lot of money is made and big ratings come from race baiting ... I think cockbeard alluded to the same thing concerning the BBC .
Sorry, wallmth, what utopia is that of which you speak??

So that makes it ok??

If you're really justifying a position because "well they do it" that's a pretty weak position. Also, assuming you're in Kenya, you're in a situation where you are no longer a beneficiary of privilege. Strange that whilst not being part of the "elite" you'd still choose to punch down rather than up

Na, forget it.

Perception?

I've been to Africa and seen slums, such as Kibera, and didn't see any white faces in them.

Aside from South Africa and Zimbabwe, I'd expect that the vast majority of white folks in Africa live in excellent surroundings, unlike the indigineous populations.

Whether it's white privilege or a hangover from empire, the reality is that the vast majority of whites in Africa are elites.

Yes the ( mzungu ) white are still seen as cash cows.
Times are a changing. Most CEO's are now African.
More and more of the old elite ( Whites) are scurrying back to where their family originally came from.

Mmmm...

Yes, every race has racists, of course, but in light of the West's history with industrial scale global slavery and subsequent attitudes to other races post-slavery (right up to today), I'm calling bullshit on that statement.

Mmmm ... Lenny Henry...double Mmmmm!
...Frankie Boyle equally as bad!

Truth is...many more White racists....but quite a number exists among Black and ' Yellow'.. and the very worst Racism comes from places like Bulgaria/ Rumania...and the Religious Racism from the Middle East !!!

Last edited:
Racism,Sexism, Agesim, and prejudice etc. exists in all human form and comes down to civilisation still developing and evolving, we are making prgress but flushing out poorly educated souls will take a few generations IMO...

I can only speak for my own experience .

The difference between the USA and the UK was brought home to me when I watched a programme regarding a house swap for a week between a family in Brum and a family from Washington.

The black guy from Washington was actually in tears describing how well he had been treated over here, just treated as a normal person when out, etc etc..as compared to back home.

Really struck me how he felt like an outsider still in his home country.

Yes the ( mzungu ) white are still seen as cash cows.
Times are a changing. Most CEO's are now African.
More and more of the old elite ( Whites) are scurrying back to where their family originally came from.
Out of interest, Kenya Cherrie, how long have you lived in Africa ? What do you do there ?

I don't think we should pat ourselves on the back quite yet. They had the mother of Joy Morgan on the radio this morning. Most probably haven't heard of Joy but she went missing last December and they have recently convicted a man of her murder. She didn't feature much in the national press so most aren't too familiar with the case.

Compare to Libby Squire, which is another tragic case in Hull with a similarly horrible outcome. The difference is that Libby received blanket coverage and massive cooperation from police and media.

Try and guess the difference between the two girls.

They had a media academic on who basically said black people aren't newsworthy unless they are committing crime or doing something else that can be spun negatively.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-48915558

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49428783

I don't think we should pat ourselves on the back quite yet. They had the mother of Joy Morgan on the radio this morning. Most probably haven't heard of Joy but she went missing last December and they have recently convicted a man of her murder. She didn't feature much in the national press so most aren't too familiar with the case.

Compare to Libby Squire, which is another tragic case in Hull with a similarly horrible outcome. The difference is that Libby received blanket coverage and massive cooperation from police and media.

Try and guess the difference between the two girls.

They had a media academic on who basically said black people aren't newsworthy unless they are committing crime or doing something else that can be spun negatively.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-48915558

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49428783

Two completely different cases and although both tragic the circumstances differ.

Libby went missing after a night out, was reported missing within hours and it was safe to assume that she had come to harm one way or the other. Her body was eventually found and despite the arrest the Investigation is still ongoing as I see the guy has been released on bail. The public have no idea if a murderer is still on the loose and there is still no closure.

Joy was reported missing six weeks after last being seen. Its a sad fact of life that numerous people go missing every year but every case isn't treated as suspicious. Its also worth noting that having been reported missing an Investigation was Immediately launched and an arrest was made within a week (and he was charged shortly afterwards). She was known to the offender and the case was immediately wrapped up. No need for a media frenzy.

If you can perceive any racist undertones in the different way these were reported then you are best off rooting around for something else.

Two completely different cases and although both tragic the circumstances differ.

Libby went missing after a night out, was reported missing within hours and it was safe to assume that she had come to harm one way or the other. Her body was eventually found and despite the arrest the Investigation is still ongoing as I see the guy has been released on bail. The public have no idea if a murderer is still on the loose and there is still no closure.

Joy was reported missing six weeks after last being seen. Its a sad fact of life that numerous people go missing every year but every case isn't treated as suspicious. Its also worth noting that having been reported missing an Investigation was Immediately launched and an arrest was made within a week (and he was charged shortly afterwards). She was known to the offender and the case was immediately wrapped up. No need for a media frenzy.

If you can perceive any racist undertones in the different way these were reported then you are best off rooting around for something else.

The lengths some people will go to to deny racial bias exists. I'm going off what the mother and the media expert said about the way these cases are reported. You can spend your time on Google trying to play these things down (for god knows what reason). You could have spent that time googling racial bias in media or "missing white woman syndrome" and you'd have realised that the issue has been studied extensively and is as clear as the nose of your face.

The lengths some people will go to to deny racial bias exists. I'm going off what the mother and the media expert said about the way these cases are reported. You can spend your time on Google trying to play these things down (for god knows what reason). You could have spent that time googling racial bias in media or "missing white woman syndrome" and you'd have realised that the issue has been studied extensively and is as clear as the nose of your face.

Or you could have posted up a couple of cases to prove your point.

Or you could have posted up a couple of cases to prove your point.

They prove the point fine - the media coverage of the Hull case was national news in the week she disappeared nevermind this "people worried about a murderer being on the loose".

Can you name a case of a missing black woman off the top of your head? Presumably you reckon this is because it's never happened?

The example I used may not be a perfect comparison, it happened to be on the radio as I was reading the thread. The media guy they had on clarified exactly what they look for when choosing what stories see the light of day - the more white and middle class the victim the more column inches.

If the example given is not good enough for you you could read through the studies attached to the Wikipedia article on the issue:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome?wprov=sfla1

I would have researched both cases before posting them up rather than relying on something you heard on the radio.

I commented on your post , you got it wrong in this case. The rest of the stuff you are throwing at me in your usual manner may or may not be right.

;