Aaron Ramsdale

He definitely deserves to at least be in the discussion for an England place. I think the only question mark you’d have over him is how he reacts mentally to a mistake. He hasn’t made any mistakes yet so we don’t really know yet!

The fact he is playing games as the no. 1 for the U21’s might be more beneficial than 3rd choice in the full squad for the time being.

agree he's been great so far. only minor worry (& it will hopefully amount to nothing) is that sometimes his punches are a bit odd.

I think Travers seems to be a slightly more talented shot stopper than Rambo, at least based on what I’ve seen so far. Ramsdale seems to have a tendency to parry shots away rather than catching them. Minor complaint though.

What Ramsdale does have is natural leadership skills and a big personality on the pitch, which are two things you can’t really teach and two things we badly missed with Begovic starting.

He’s also just really solid; his general play in terms of the basics, such as coming out early, dealing with crosses, clearing the ball etc. inspires so much confidence in both the defenders and the fans in the ground. I think we look so much more confident as a unit with him in goal than we have for quite some time.

Plus he showed at Wimbledon (and vs West Ham yesterday) that he does have outstanding saves in his locker as well. I never wanted us to sign another GK and I’m glad we didn’t.

I think Travers seems to be a slightly more talented shot stopper than Rambo, at least based on what I’ve seen so far. Ramsdale seems to have a tendency to parry shots away rather than catching them. Minor complaint though.

What Ramsdale does have is natural leadership skills and a big personality on the pitch, which are two things you can’t really teach and two things we badly missed with Begovic starting.

He’s also just really solid; his general play in terms of the basics, such as coming out early, dealing with crosses, clearing the ball etc. inspires so much confidence in both the defenders and the fans in the ground. I think we look so much more confident as a unit with him in goal than we have for quite some time.

Plus he showed at Wimbledon (and vs West Ham yesterday) that he does have outstanding saves in his locker as well. I never wanted us to sign another GK and I’m glad we didn’t.
Your slight criticism of him is what I like about him. A strong punch or parry out of the danger area is good keeping. Less chance of a blunder. If keepers try to catch it in awkward moments then it can lead to blunders. A strong hand and out of the danger area is just my cup of tea.

I haven't seen him make a mistake leading to a goal yet, all our other keepers would've done by now.

Didn't he come off his line into no man's land at Leicester? I wasn't there but it's what a pal has told me.

Not a criticism really though, coming off his line has generally been one of his strong points. He's certainly decisive. Obviously it's not going to work every time though.

Didn't he come off his line into no man's land at Leicester? I wasn't there but it's what a pal has told me.
It’s debatable but personally I didn’t think it was his error. When the 2 CB’s are defending the half way line, the keeper has to play more as a sweeper keeper as there is so much space to cover. By being off his line, Vardy required a goal of the month contender to beat him. Had he been on his line, Vardy could have just dribbled it in for a more simple 1 on 1 finish.

Yeah, I think the first Leicester goal was at least partly his fault and his distribution against Sheffield United wasn't great. But other than that he's had a very good start to the season, whereas Jack Butland . . .

Agree entirely but cant quite work out what happened with their second goal yesterday

It was exceptionally unlucky. The first attempt at a block (Cook?) caused a small deflection which took it out of the path of Ramsdale's attempt at a save and also Ake's goal line clearance attempt.

It was exceptionally unlucky. The first attempt at a block (Cook?) caused a small deflection which took it out of the path of Ramsdale's attempt at a save and also Ake's goal line clearance attempt.

Cook out!

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that Cook is working under deep cover for his true masters, Brighton.

It’s debatable but personally I didn’t think it was his error. When the 2 CB’s are defending the half way line, the keeper has to play more as a sweeper keeper as there is so much space to cover. By being off his line, Vardy required a goal of the month contender to beat him. Had he been on his line, Vardy could have just dribbled it in for a more simple 1 on 1 finish.

Well I have to say I don't know the intricacies of goalkeeper positioning (tbh I don't think that most non-goalkeeper fans or pundits do) but I certainly wouldn't say it needed a goal of the month contender to beat him. It's a straightforward lob for a player like Vardy - he's done it loads of times.

;