Real Betis

Having watched that performance tonight, I do wonder if Eddie and Jason are in denial regards how good our squad is. We do not have quality in depth which was evident in tonight’s game. Betis closed us down as soon as we got the ball and didn’t give us an inch of space. Their passing and movement off the ball was impressive and to me they looked more agile in going forward.

I would like to see against Cardiff:

Begovic
Daniels
Cook
Mings
Ake
Smith
Cook
Gosling/Arter
Ibe
King
Wilson

Wilson really? lets hope he scores during pre-season then. I suppose he's got too score sooner or later if you stick him up front for long enough but I fear you might be right!

Having gone to the game last night (with zero points I have to go when I can!)
my thoughts are
Boruc held his hand up after that embarrassing first goal where he missed the ball completely to allow them to score. Played OK otherwise. Rico left wide open spaces in defence and Charlie Daniels has nothing to fear immediately. I thought Rico was better going forward.
Francis played well and was on the money and our best player.
Simpson needs game time, gone backwards IMHO since I saw him in a cup game.
Mings will come good eventually - not sure about last night
Arter - good to see him on the pitch - played OK in patches
Lewis Cook - played OK
Pugh - played OK
Ibe / Defoe / Mousset - pretty ineffectual - other PL defences needn't be worried by them!

Having gone to the game last night (with zero points I have to go when I can!)
my thoughts are
Boruc held his hand up after that embarrassing first goal where he missed the ball completely to allow them to score. Played OK otherwise. Rico left wide open spaces in defence and Charlie Daniels has nothing to fear immediately. I thought Rico was better going forward.
Francis played well and was on the money and our best player.
Simpson needs game time, gone backwards IMHO since I saw him in a cup game.
Mings will come good eventually - not sure about last night
Arter - good to see him on the pitch - played OK in patches
Lewis Cook - played OK
Pugh - played OK
Ibe / Defoe / Mousset - pretty ineffectual - other PL defences needn't be worried by them!

Lys is a strange one in my eyes. Starting games he appears ineffectual as you mention however at so many times last season, from the bench, he was outstanding. Really changed the game

Rico had to tuck in narrow defensively because we were being torn to shreds in midfield. Better leave space out wide than in the middle

Arter is a worry for me. It’s all very well pressing but you have to press intelligently. So many times he’d run past the player on the ball, leaving us even more open in midfield. The formation didn’t help of course, but we do need our midfielders to be more disciplined, and that includes Cook too.

Having watched that performance tonight, I do wonder if Eddie and Jason are in denial regards how good our squad is. We do not have quality in depth which was evident in tonight’s game. Betis closed us down as soon as we got the ball and didn’t give us an inch of space. Their passing and movement off the ball was impressive and to me they looked more agile in going forward.

I don’t think we can be that concerned. The 11 last night will not play together. The first goal was a mistake, the second one the defence switched off after Francis had just gone off injured.

Totally agree about Arter. Will always love his energy and bite but lost count the number of times last season he ran towards someone in possession... and immediately out of the camera shot.

Rico had to tuck in narrow defensively because we were being torn to shreds in midfield. Better leave space out wide than in the middle

Arter is a worry for me. It’s all very well pressing but you have to press intelligently. So many times he’d run past the player on the ball, leaving us even more open in midfield. The formation didn’t help of course, but we do need our midfielders to be more disciplined, and that includes Cook too.

I don’t think we can be that concerned. The 11 last night will not play together. The first goal was a mistake, the second one the defence switched off after Francis had just gone off injured.
The first was a mistake and the second the defence switched off .
Oh well , normal service is resumed then :oops:

;