Reasons to be cheerful - part 3

Result was in doubt enough to have them trying to keep it in the corners at the end running the clock down.

After Wednesday I doubt many of us wanted them to have a good go at them. Howe was right to park the bus then go for it a bit towards the end. They did it pretty well and I'm happy enough. City were excellent yet still struggled to create clear cut chances. Hopefully AFCB will.take heart from this and start to smash teams again. Need to start turning in performances away from home now too.

Well said.

[QUOTE
Im now in the mood to go slightly Minty mode.....Huddersfield will win one eventually...why not next week....we are bound...nailed on bound[/QUOTE]

Didn’t they beat the Wolves in the week ?

Problem is , ok it was only one nil with a defensive setup but if City had their shooting boots on it still would have been a stuffing ...there were a lot of good chances for city , they just didn’t put them away ...anyway I’m probably on the wrong thread to say that .

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. The c*** hasn't given an opinion, just a sarcastic trentesque response.
JBW!
Missing me Al?

Don't think that your responses to any criticism are so varied that they cannot be stereotyped in a similar way. You're not Thomas Hardy you know!

Are we excused playing the top 6 next season?

We play a 26 game season, with the hope of nicking something off the other 12.
FFS the point I am making is The way our fixtures have fallen is a massive reason for our poor run. As you would say that's a fact

Problem is , ok it was only one nil with a defensive setup but if City had their shooting boots on it still would have been a stuffing ...there were a lot of good chances for city , they just didn’t put them away ...anyway I’m probably on the wrong thread to say that .
No you're not. We've played plenty of games we didn't have our shooting boots on, and therefore lost or drew. That happens, and is precisely why we love the game

The fixture list thing is a Red Herring.......All the hard ones and easy ones have to be played...if they fall into a bunched up sequence respectively, that will balance out over the whole season ! Too much is made of it...every game is important.
The fixture list is not a red herring. Do you believe that if we had played 2 of the top 6 in the last 19 games we would have only got 14 points.

We're crap over the winter anyway, so playing all the big sides when we're historically out of form is no bad thing. No reason we can;t take 18-20 points from the rest of the season. That'll put us in contention for the Everton cup. I didn;t listen today, life happened, but from what I've heard there's not a lot to be cheerful about, but a couple of reasons I'll give right now. Wow we actually can park the bus, something we've so rarely done that many o us thought it beyond us. I don;t want to see us doing it terribly regularly but nice to know it's in the locker if we need it. Also decent showing from the youngsters at the back Simpson and Mepham, good to see as that's a spot we've long considered weak in depth

The fixture list is not a red herring. Do you believe that if we had played 2 of the top 6 in the last 19 games we would have only got 14 points.

Probably not...a lot more maybe/certainly....we played 10 games from the top six in that period...so if it was only 2 we would have had 8 of them left to play in the last 9 or we would have had them in the first 10 ! ...so it would balance out.....Christ my heads f##ked up now!
I think what im trying to say is....because we have to play them all anyway...and if we ignored the league table until the end it ..it wont make any difference .....I have to read that back to myself now to see if I know what im on about.......I can see the point You are making though RedHarry.

In Theory I guess you could say that the last 9 fixtures could yield about 15/16 points giving a total of about 50 !

Last edited:
I reckon ..nailing our hopes on Simpson and Mepham plus Rico? if he settles, is not a bad idea...pity we couldnt have included Mings. Sadly it is time for some of the old guard to be phased out and regarded as back up for another season maybe. Then of course the big question..does Ake stay? And Pray Brooks stays for at least next season!

I reckon ..nailing our hopes on Simpson and Mepham plus Rico? if he settles, is not a bad idea...pity we couldnt have included Mings. Sadly it is time for some of the old guard to be phased out and regarded as back up for another season maybe. Then of course the big question..does Ake stay? And Pray Brooks stays for at least next season!
I agree Bill. That has a look of a good base to build around for next season. A summer for Brookesy to beef up a bit, I’m still afraid he might be a bit brittle and will be targeted, pay Ake whatever he wants, give Mousset the rest of the season to see if he’s got it. Can’t wait.

But it's not that simple. Our last 19 games included 10 against the top 6, the way our fixtures have panned out has been quite bizarre this season.

This is the key point and ignores those games when we have a reasonably full squad. It’s tantamount to saying we get 0 points from 10 bottom placed sides. That is an opinion but pretty cr ap argument.

If we lose Wilson and brooks then the risk increases but would hope we would reinvest some of the £60m-£100m we might receive?

Also in any prediction you have to allow for the normal 5-8 match steak that Eddie usually has where we go into free fall at some stage of the season plus the arrival of March....Eddie time!

I would add that the bad results don’t mask the fact that we have signed the decent young right defender we have needed for 2 seasons. Despite other posts I really like Mepham. Future captain for sure.

Last edited:
Reasons not to be cheerful

We will eventually lose our best players once bigger clubs come calling.
We will eventually lose Eddie Howe.
We will lose at St Marys.
We have alot of players in the squad that are not PL standard.
We will eventually go back down.
Clubs in lower divisions that are same size or smaller have bigger stadiums than us in the PL.
Smaller clubs like Brentford, Bath City, Southend and AFC Wimbledon are all building bigger capacity stadiums than us and none have the PL money we have or the potential this town has but they have the ambition to be bigger and better.
We own a training ground and aren't even building it.
No ambition, no legacy, poor off field staff and still haunted by past failures to this day.
Looks like it's going to be the memories only. Hope to be proved wrong of course but I doubt it very much.

By setting up the way we did it gave them plenty of time on the ball and too much possession..

Reasons not to be cheerful

We will eventually lose our best players once bigger clubs come calling.
We will eventually lose Eddie Howe.
We will lose at St Marys.
We have alot of players in the squad that are not PL standard.
We will eventually go back down.
Clubs in lower divisions that are same size or smaller have bigger stadiums than us in the PL.
Smaller clubs like Brentford, Bath City, Southend and AFC Wimbledon are all building bigger capacity stadiums than us and none have the PL money we have or the potential this town has but they have the ambition to be bigger and better.
We own a training ground and aren't even building it.
No ambition, no legacy, poor off field staff and still haunted by past failures to this day.
Looks like it's going to be the memories only. Hope to be proved wrong of course but I doubt it very much.

I can only agree with the above.

But why are they reasons not to be cheerful?

They are what they are.

If the club had gone tits up and I ended up watching a phoenix club ground share with Poole; I'd still be cheerful about it.
Life's too bloody short to worry about stuff that hasn't happened; and if it does?
Well it ain't the end of the world.

The day AFCB ceases to exist in any shape or form that I can relate to; i.e. it stops being a football club, then I'd be a bit sad.

I can only agree with the above.

But why are they reasons not to be cheerful?

They are what they are.

If the club had gone tits up and I ended up watching a phoenix club ground share with Poole; I'd still be cheerful about it.
Life's too bloody short to worry about stuff that hasn't happened; and if it does?
Well it ain't the end of the world.

The day AFCB ceases to exist in any shape or form that I can relate to; i.e. it stops being a football club, then I'd be a bit sad.

Agree. If we return to L1 at some point then that has been our level for 42 of the 50 years I have been going to watch the Cherries and it’s a larger % for many others on this forum.

Re some of the other negative comments: It’s hard to say there is a lack of ambition when the board have spent nearly £80m this season on young talent in Lerma, brooks, Mepham, Solanke and rico. That is ambition.

The ground and training ground situation is hugely disappointing. No doubt about that. But maybe the owners want to be sure we are a sustainable prem club before they want to invest more and tie down Eddie for another 5 years, sort out structadene or sell to owners with deeper pockets to do the final piece of the jigsaw? Or maybe they just want to bank the income? We will see soon enough imho.

;