Reflections. I just feel so despondent.

Over the last 18 months Eddie has continually struggled to work out his best formation, his best approach, and his best XI...

When we hit the PL he know the answers to all 3 of the above, and this continued for a few seasons... The Gung Ho approach saw us attack, score a hatful, concede a hatful, but do enough to stay up... But somewhere along the way, the media circus, the pundits, maybe even Max got into Eddie's ear and made him think we need to be better than doing just enough to stay up...

This has been to our detriment as Eddie has had to invest in players that perhaps are not up to what he wants to do, at this level... So the game plan has changed... and not for the best... He is caught between wanting one thing but having to do another, and I think the 'one foot in one foot out' approach has just confused the sh*t out of everyone...

We've got a bunch of individuals that should be a lot better than recent results, however, One question is do the players we have really compliment each other and can you create a balanced XI with them... ? I am not convinced

We have LBs galore sat on the bench yet we play 2 RBs... we're overloaded with Left sided central defenders and only Cook (and Franno) for R sided options...we have a bunch of central and defensive midfielders yet not one real attacking, goal scoring midfielder amongst them... (anyone care to tell me how many goals our central midfield have scored I n the last 18 months?)... We've 2 players in Brooks and H.Wilson crying out to be slotted in front of a midfield 2, yet ply their trade almost anonymously (H.Wilson) on the wing and Eddie seems scared to leave any of his miss-firing strikers on the bench...

Has Eddie run out of ideas or is that the players just aren't the right ones for Eddie's game plan... I still would rather Eddie at the helm as I do believe we will go down and I think after the £100m sell-off we should still have a decent foundation for Eddie to rebuild a unit from, and I would absolutely trust him to do that... However, he needs to sort this sh*t out and fast... Play players where they should be. Play players that compliment, and play players that are in form...

It’s no surprise that the disappointing display was against Palace. Palace do their game plan so well - sit deep, organised, physical and great on counter-attack. We struggle against teams like this, hence 2 wins in 10 prem games vs palace (Last season helped by off the ball penalty) and Burnley (two end of season winning games). Let’s not forget palace are only 4 points off Man Utd in 5th.

we saw this against the bottom two earlier on the season against Norwich and Watford. I think a lot of the players care but we are not capable of beating teams that sit deep - build up is too slow and ponderous and we dont push enough bodies into attack. Just look at the difference in first half vs wolves at dean court this season and the second when we gave it ago with a licence to attack.

It’s maybe not coincidence we looked better in the previous 3 home games as the oppposition played on the front foot more. Bad news is next two games may see the opponents sit deep again and hit us on the break.

I just can’t see us winning one game and we have now lost King.

When you have all summer to decide that Stacey and Harry Wilson is your best bet to counter Zaha and Van Aanholt when you could have used Smith (who had done well against Zaha before) and King but you instead put them both on the left on their wrong feet against lesser players and get murdered down the side they are not on......

That’s a management side that have lost the plot I’m afraid.
When has Smith done well against zaha before Neil?.....i think its Francis who for some reason seems to have Zaha's number tbh.....personally i can see why Eddie would have every faith in Stacey....the lad is on his way to being the best RB we've ever had......certainly didn't see anyone on here worrying about him being up against Zaha before the game.....did you?

Don't think he did a lot wrong anyway.....he got let down by a lack of cover from H wilson who right enough is a waste of space but i dont think playing King on that side would have improved matters........one of the disadvantages of playing 433 is that the full backs dont get as much cover tbf.

But somewhere along the way, the media circus, the pundits, maybe even Max got into Eddie's ear and made him think we need to be better than doing just enough to stay up...
I’m not sure I agree with this. Eddie himself has constantly talked about his desire to keep improving the club. Of course there is pressure from elsewhere but the will to succeed comes from himself.

I honestly don’t think you can say the ambition should have been to “just stay up”. If that had been the ambition we’d have been relegated some time ago. Of course Eddie has made mistakes, but it’s from him wanting to improve and certainly not to prove himself to the media.

Over the last 18 months Eddie has continually struggled to work out his best formation, his best approach, and his best XI...

When we hit the PL he know the answers to all 3 of the above, and this continued for a few seasons... The Gung Ho approach saw us attack, score a hatful, concede a hatful, but do enough to stay up... But somewhere along the way, the media circus, the pundits, maybe even Max got into Eddie's ear and made him think we need to be better than doing just enough to stay up...

This has been to our detriment as Eddie has had to invest in players that perhaps are not up to what he wants to do, at this level... So the game plan has changed... and not for the best... He is caught between wanting one thing but having to do another, and I think the 'one foot in one foot out' approach has just confused the sh*t out of everyone...

We've got a bunch of individuals that should be a lot better than recent results, however, One question is do the players we have really compliment each other and can you create a balanced XI with them... ? I am not convinced

We have LBs galore sat on the bench yet we play 2 RBs... we're overloaded with Left sided central defenders and only Cook (and Franno) for R sided options...we have a bunch of central and defensive midfielders yet not one real attacking, goal scoring midfielder amongst them... (anyone care to tell me how many goals our central midfield have scored I n the last 18 months?)... We've 2 players in Brooks and H.Wilson crying out to be slotted in front of a midfield 2, yet ply their trade almost anonymously (H.Wilson) on the wing and Eddie seems scared to leave any of his miss-firing strikers on the bench...

Has Eddie run out of ideas or is that the players just aren't the right ones for Eddie's game plan... I still would rather Eddie at the helm as I do believe we will go down and I think after the £100m sell-off we should still have a decent foundation for Eddie to rebuild a unit from, and I would absolutely trust him to do that... However, he needs to sort this sh*t out and fast... Play players where they should be. Play players that compliment, and play players that are in form...
Is Eddie too loyal to certain players?

Is Eddie too loyal to certain players?
Except to Surman. He started 2 games just before the break and those games gave me hope. Our swagger was back.. We created chances and retained possession high up the field. Surman was pointing and talking all the time and he was the cog in the machine Eddie has failed to replace. Yes those two games only yielded 1 points, but the Bournemouth-play was back. I don't understand how I am the only one to see this. To me it is so obvious.

Except to Surman. He started 2 games just before the break and those games gave me hope. Our swagger was back.. We created chances and retained possession high up the field. Surman was pointing and talking all the time and he was the cog in the machine Eddie has failed to replace. Yes those two games only yielded 1 points, but the Bournemouth-play was back. I don't understand how I am the only one to see this. To me it is so obvious.
Scored an excellent goal in one of the last training videos too. Eddie was certainly impressed at the time. A very underrated player and could be one of the calm heads we need on the pitch to keep everybody focused on what they should be doing when ever they lose sight of that. So modest too, nothing Billy Big Bollox about Surman at all, he never complains, just keeps working, a fantastic professional. I'm a big fan and hope he gets more playing opportunities as his career starts to wind down. One of the few remaining old school professionals !

I mentioned on the Lerma thread that too many of our players go missing and don’t show for the ball which leaves Jeff too much responsibility. Now Surman can struggle when the pace of the game is high and I think that worries Eddie too. However, he does make himself available for passes and we do seem to have more control when he is in the side.

It's been a poor season, we all know that.
I called out 18 months ago that I thought we were on a downward slide and this would be our last EPL season.
Then I thought maybe with the signings last summer, things would improve.
The injuries have been OTT, and that is a valid excuse.
However, with a full squad (Billing OK), that performance on Saturday night stunk of players who have had their head turned by transfer speculation, and they seemed to be taking it easy to avoid injury.
Will Josh be back and firing? I doubt it.
I still have a slim hope that there are 3 teams worse than us, but my god, it's up to us to meet the standard required and put a shift in on the pitch.
As yet, and for many a month, that has not happened.

Two things :=

Does any other Premiership team play a right footed player at left back?

When will Neil Perrett or any other media person be brave enough to ask Eddie at a press conference why he persists with playing Smudger at left back when we need a full back to bomb down the wing and cross the ball with his left foot rather than cutting inside and passing sideways or backwards.

When has Smith done well against zaha before Neil?.....i think its Francis who for some reason seems to have Zaha's number tbh.....personally i can see why Eddie would have every faith in Stacey....the lad is on his way to being the best RB we've ever had......certainly didn't see anyone on here worrying about him being up against Zaha before the game.....did you?

Don't think he did a lot wrong anyway.....he got let down by a lack of cover from H wilson who right enough is a waste of space but i dont think playing King on that side would have improved matters........one of the disadvantages of playing 433 is that the full backs dont get as much cover tbf.
I clearly mentionned it was the combination of Wilson and Stacey against Zaha and Van A. If you think that was a better option than King and Smith you are back on that black and white portable. Palace are renowned for killing people on one flank... a sensible coaching team would therefore pick their strongest option to counter that surely?

Yes, I do think Stacey will be great by the way. I’ve been really impressed with him.

This probably the main issue that has affected our squad over the past few years. We could sign 28-year-old, in his prime Messi and he'd either be kept out by stalwart Callum Wilson or be played at left back.

The fact Josh King is our best striker and has had to play second fiddle to a less able player for almost his entire time here is telling.

Look at Surridge, scores v Arsenal and doesn't even make the bench. Ditto Mings when he deserved a chance, Smith on the wrong side of defence - just be brave and bench Stacey ffs! Danjuma on the bench over Harry Wasteman Wilson (how many times has he been hauled off after 45 minutes this season?)...

The one thing I learned from my days working in corporate land was "aces in spaces" - make sure the best person at doing a certain job is directed to do that job. That means if you have someone who can score c.20 goals a season you play them up front, not on the left wing.

Eddie's stubbornness and maybe even a deeper problem around a total lack of bravery in managing a player's unhappiness with not playing. It can't be ignored that so many of our squad walk into the first team with little justification based on their performances. It must've been killing team spirit for years now.
Absolutely spot on mate!

Team line up on Saturday doesn’t suggest that.

Whilst I agree, to think that we still have Gosling, Surman, Franno, Daniels, Stan etc. in our squad, and quite often team... 5 years into our PL term is an outstanding position to be in...

Don't get me wrong... All of those players have played a HUGE part in our journey and in our time in the PL... but I think most would have thought these players would perhaps have been moved on by now...

This also highlights my earlier comment on us having the right players, with the fact that we're still saying things like "we should get Gossa in" and 'we play better with Surman in the side"... and both statements are scarily true... but we should have moved on from these players by now and moved forward with a new team and new era... and that is with ZERO disrespect towards either player as they have been great...

I just don't see our midfield options giving us enough to complete and score enough to keep us in this league atm...

I just can’t see us winning one game and we have now lost King.

When you have all summer to decide that Stacey and Harry Wilson is your best bet to counter Zaha and Van Aanholt when you could have used Smith (who had done well against Zaha before) and King but you instead put them both on the left on their wrong feet against lesser players and get murdered down the side they are not on......

Yes, should have been Smith on right and Rico on left... King has played well on left this season at times but he didn't get the suppthe Rico would have given him.

That’s a management side that have lost the plot I’m afraid.

Spot on re Franno, he always has Zaha's number.

;