RIP Paul Mariner

He took us apart at DC with Plymouth in the Olden Days, 3-7 if I remember the score correctly, the Brighton Beach end was a sea of green & white!

Mariner in the 3-7...I went home stunned..He got two or three...went through us like a greased weasal .
He was great at Ipswich, hat trick v Manu. and played for while for England. RIP.

Also remember seeing him.

From Plymouth paper in 2020.

Other names we will know as well.

Last para re the Euros, he scored the goal that beat France.

The two-time Argyle Player of the Year caught the attention of future England manager Bobby Robson who signed him for £220,000 to First Division side Ipswich Town in 1976.

Mariner became an integral part of the Tractor Boys, picking up silverware in the form of the 1978 FA Cup and 1981 UEFA Cup on the way, scoring a goal for Ipswich in the first leg of the latter final against Dutch side AZ Alkmaar.

His exploits with Ipswich, who came close to winning the First Division title in 1980-81, saw him also earn a place in the England team for the first time in 1977 and he would go onto earn 35 caps and score 13 times for country.

Mariner featured in England's squads for Euro 1980 and the 1982 World Cup and started as one of Ron Greenwood's main strikers at the latter tournament, scoring the winner in the opening match against France.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sp...ews/plymouth-argyle-stars-who-reached-4072776

Mariner featured in England's squads for Euro 1980 and the 1982 World Cup and started as one of Ron Greenwood's main strikers at the latter tournament, scoring the winner against France
Good quiz question that. Everyone remembers the 27 seconds goal from Robson, would never have got Mariner

He took us apart at DC with Plymouth in the Olden Days, 3-7 if I remember the score correctly, the Brighton Beach end was a sea of green & white!

I took two people to that match to introduce them to the wonders of AFCB. We let in seven and then we ended up in the middle of a bunch of guys from way out west who were fashion victims from earlier in the 1970s.

;