Robbie Brady

We gave him the opportunity to progress when others had thrown him on the scrap heap. He absolutely does owe it to us that we have the security of him being under contract for if/when he were to move on. We’ve shown we’ll sell at the right price if a player wants to progress, it would be very poor from him not to sign.
I disagree completely. If he was rubbish you wouldn't be demanding he be kept on. Whatever he chooses will be best for him, not your emotional attachment.

I’m sorry but your way off with this one. When you invest as much time, money and energy into developing a player as we have done with Zemura, then it’s very poor from him to refuse to sign a contract in these circumstances. The contact doesn’t keep him here if there is interest from above, it just protects the financial interests of the club. We’re talking about a lad who was binned off by two different pro clubs here. Your argument that we choose to move players on doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny. Cook has been here for going on ten years and been a regular for almost the entirety of that time, he is not going to play on forever, to suggest that him being out of the team now indicates a lack of loyalty from the club just isn’t true. Likewise players like Surman, Daniels, Franno would have not been kept on anywhere near the length of time they were at any other club at the top level. If there is any club that shows loyalty to it’s good servants then it’s ours! Look how many ex players we’ve had/have in the coaching set up! So yes, loyalty should still come into it in some circumstances.
Cook being here ten years had nothing to do with loyalty.....his performances kept him here....we haven't banished him from the matchday squad because of how he played last season.....Scotty has just replaced him for someone better on the same sort of money......we will do what we think is best for the club and the player's will do what's best for them.....

We gave him the opportunity to progress when others had thrown him on the scrap heap. He absolutely does owe it to us that we have the security of him being under contract for if/when he were to move on. We’ve shown we’ll sell at the right price if a player wants to progress, it would be very poor from him not to sign.
Maybe, but you don't know how much notice he's taken of the King situation.

His argument was that we promised him a move and went back on our word. I'm not sure how true that is but it could weigh on JZs mind. Plus he'll have his agent cheeping in his ear.

Cook being here ten years had nothing to do with loyalty.....his performances kept him here....we haven't banished him from the matchday squad because of how he played last season.....Scotty has just replaced him for someone better on the same sort of money......we will do what we think is best for the club and the player's will do what's best for them.....
If this is your outlook then that is sad. Steve Cook wouldn’t have lasted anywhere near that long at another club. We regularly conceded 65+ goals a season at the top level, do you think Brighton don’t look to replace their defenders with that kind of return. We have shown a huge amount of loyalty and faith in Steve Cook during some very dodgy spells from him and he has in turn repaid us with some very good performances. Let’s not pretend we/Eddie didn’t have loyalty towards him.

Maybe, but you don't know how much notice he's taken of the King situation.

His argument was that we promised him a move and went back on our word. I'm not sure how true that is but it could weigh on JZs mind. Plus he'll have his agent cheeping in his ear.
If he’s already thinking about these kinds of things at this stage then frankly I lose faith in there being any kind of morality/good will in the game.

Hopefully not an issue if we get promoted, he'll be wanting to stay and play in the Premier league

Jordan probably just wants to keep his options open. Like you say, if we get promoted, hopefully, he'll quickly extend.

Jordan probably just wants to keep his options open. Like you say, if we get promoted, hopefully, he'll quickly extend.
We've kind of strayed off topic here but whether JZ stays or not, I for one am really enjoying seeing some of our youngsters come into the first team, playing without respect for the opposition with massive smiles on their faces. To me that is a big part of what football is all about. Youngsters coming in and ruffling the feathers of the old guard. It's great to see, particularly after some of the moping faces and whiney platitudes we've had to put up with over the past couple of seasons !
I hope we can continue to invest in developing our own youngsters, it's simply brilliant seeing them come in and more than hold their own at what is now, more or less, the TOP LEVEL.
More please !

We've kind of strayed off topic here but whether JZ stays or not, I for one am really enjoying seeing some of our youngsters come into the first team, playing without respect for the opposition with massive smiles on their faces. To me that is a big part of what football is all about. Youngsters coming in and ruffling the feathers of the old guard. It's great to see, particularly after some of the moping faces and whiney platitudes we've had to put up with over the past couple of seasons !
I hope we can continue to invest in developing our own youngsters, it's simply brilliant seeing them come in and more than hold their own at what is now, more or less, the TOP LEVEL.
More please !

In a way we saw this (re youngsters & old guard) in the Mel Machin great escape team, only those youngsters were from other clubs.

More please !
Yes good to see ........so a shame we don't seem to be moving forward with the training complex ......is that land now up for sale ?

I suppose the fact that these youngsters are coming through DESPITE us not really having top facilities for them to train in is an argument for the training complex not being a top priority but I too would like to see it happen.

If we had state of the art training facilities for the academy and the first team, we would finally have a non-tinpot legacy. As it is, all we have are memories.
Also, moving training to a separate facility again opens up the possibility of some sort of new stadium development.

I haven't given up all hope that it might get green-lit again should we get back to the PL and decide not to blow all of the new income on players' wages this time.
It would be nice to have something concrete ( no pun intended ) from our next spell in the PL ( should it happen - not counting my chickens just yet obviously ! ).

its an interesting one. Can't blame any player for moving onto bigger things, assuming they conduct themselves professionally (like Fraser and King).

No doubt talks are going on behind the scenes about Zemura's situation, even if just among coaches for now. How much do we offer him, are we waiting to see its not just a flash in the pan before we offer him whats likely to be several times more than he's currently earning? But works both ways in the longer it goes on, although we may get more insight into whether he is the 'real deal' or not but this will also ensure bigger clubs become more aware of him and he'll and his agent become aware of that too... So risk both ways, thats why you hope you have the right assessors of ability/potential making these decision.

As for Cook, don;t think we haven't treated him without loyalty. If we just tore up his contract or refused to pay him (which wouldn;t happen I know) that would be out of order. If we approached him in a decent and professional manner and said thanks for service, but not part of our plans and to find another club (and continue to honour his contract), thats just business. He's done well out of us, as we have out of his service.

I assume we brought in Cahill as Parker rates him more highly than Cook with fitting in to how he wants to setup. We were probably hoping he'd be off the books by dead line day, but for whatever reason that didn;t happen. So Parker would rather lean on people he thinks have a future with us, even though Cook may be better on paper than other centre backs who've featured. Cook may play his way back into the squad, but if he's mentally checked out, even in the slightest amount, its better he moves on.

Last edited:
Talking of Steve Cook, if Eddie had gone to another club and wanted Cook with him do you think he would have gone?

If yes, then ‘loyalty’ lies both ways, his old manager or club.

Talking of Steve Cook, if Eddie had gone to another club and wanted Cook with him do you think he would have gone?

If yes, then ‘loyalty’ lies both ways, his old manager or club.

depends who Howe went to. people were talking about cook going to celtic, but he'd be lucky to get half his current wage with them, so think that would be unrealistic. also, doubt he'd sign him for newcastle as can;t imagine toon fans would be happy with it, given their new aspirations.

When you invest as much time, money and energy into developing a player as we have done with Zemura
didn't he come to us in 2019? as a 18/19 year old we haven't invested much time into him all we done is give him a platform to show his talents (which injuries etc forced us to) it sounds like your talking about a lad who has been with us since he was 10 not 2 years.
yeah without us he might not of been noticed but he would of got a chance still, it works both ways he is helping us just as much as we're helping him

Not so long ago the hindsighters were saying we should have let Callum Wilson go when he was 'at his peak'.

How do you know the exact moment a player has peaked? And does that now apply to JZ?

didn't he come to us in 2019? as a 18/19 year old we haven't invested much time into him all we done is give him a platform to show his talents (which injuries etc forced us to) it sounds like your talking about a lad who has been with us since he was 10 not 2 years.
yeah without us he might not of been noticed but he would of got a chance still, it works both ways he is helping us just as much as we're helping him
IIRC the same situation as Sterling at Liverpool. They got him from QPR.

;