Rollercoaster Restart.

blandford_cherry

UTC Legend
Who else has shared a similar thought process to this?

I looked forward to the Palace game for weeks, as soon as I knew the majority of scenarios they could end the season would mean we go down I was desperate for the restart to play our way out of trouble. We had a fully fit squad apart from Daniels, David Brooks back and I really thought we would breeze out of trouble, after the season had been hampered by injuries with a fully fit squad I didn’t see any problems, we were the first ever premier league game on The BBC to add to the excitement and we were playing at home, so much build up on the socials. The lack of crowd didn’t dampen my experience at all and the fake noise soon became normal.

The game turned out to be a absolute sickener and a complete crash back down to earth - weeks of excitement dashed but Wolves and Newcastle next - on paper the two ‘easier’ games compared to the 4 that would follow that. Perhaps we just weren’t fit enough going into Palace and we could turn it around, I was sceptical that we hadn’t played any ‘competitive friendlies’ and I think I was right.

After the Newcastle and Wolves losses I gave up 99% hope we could stay up but I still watched Villa, West Ham and Watford’s games avidly hoping for a positive result for us to reduce the 99% into something a little more hopeful.

I didn’t expect anything from our next 4 games V Man Utd, Tottenham, Leicester or Man City and those 4 games literally were a rollercoaster, 1-0 up at Old Trafford and the hope reignites itself, we lost 5-2. Tottenham we got a point and played well and I thought great if we beat Leicester we could still be in with a chance which we comfortably and emphatically did with the goal difference taking a positive hit the 99% quickly turned to ‘we can stay up’ if we avoid a heavy defeat at Man City - mission complete and an excellent and most attacking performance at The Ethiad in Pep’s 4 years.

The Great escape mark 2 was back on and other results were also going In our favour and goal difference within touching distance all we need to do is beat Southampton at home back to ‘easier games on paper’ that we should win and take it to the last day of the season, added with Watford and Villas games being tough but bang - back down to square one of how I felt after Palace, Wolves and Newcastle except now I have 100% come around to the fact we won’t be staying up, Infact so much so I’d prefer the season to end now to avoid another 6 days of pain and people saying until it’s mathematically possible etc etc.

It’s the hope throughout being built up and then dashed that has been the hardest thing (hence it feeling like a rollercoaster).

We aren’t good enough without hoping Watford pick up 0 from 6 and Villa not doing better than us with a game in hand and then is having to beat Everton.

BUT a day of reflection I’m actually really looking forward to The Championship. They famously said ‘you don’t win anything with kids’. Well I think we will give it a bloody good go with a side built around Kelly, Stacey, Mepham, Solanke, Surridge, Danjuma, Kilkenny, Oforborh and hopefully Ramsdale and Lewis Cook, added with Steve Cook, Billing, Gosling, Smith and that’s without the small chance of holding onto one of our better players or two, not to mention a couple of loan signings from a premier league club what is there not to be excited about?

Last edited:

I looked forward to the Palace game for weeks, as soon as I knew the majority of scenarios they could end the season would mean we go down I was desperate for the restart to play our way out of trouble. We had a fully fit squad apart from Daniels, David Brooks back and I really thought we would breeze out of trouble, after the season had been hampered by injuries with a fully fit squad I didn’t see any problems, we were the first ever premier league game on The BBC to add to the excitement and we were playing at home, so much build up on the socials. The lack of crowd didn’t dampen my experience at all and the fake noise soon became normal.

The game turned out to be a absolute sickener and a complete crash back down to earth - weeks of excitement dashed but Wolves and Newcastle next - on paper the two ‘easier’ games compared to the 4 that would follow that. Perhaps we just weren’t fit enough going into Palace and we could turn it around, I was sceptical that we hadn’t played any ‘competitive friendlies’ and I think I was right.

After the Newcastle and Wolves losses I gave up 99% hope we could stay up but I still watched Villa, West Ham and Watford’s games avidly hoping for a positive result for us to reduce the 99% into something a little more hopeful.

I didn’t expect anything from our next 4 games V Man Utd, Tottenham, Leicester or Man City and those 4 games literally were a rollercoaster, 1-0 up at Old Trafford and the hope reignites itself, we lost 5-2. Tottenham we got a point and played well and I thought great if we beat Leicester we could still be in with a chance which we comfortably and emphatically did with the goal difference taking a positive hit the 99% quickly turned to ‘we can stay up’ if we avoid a heavy defeat at Man City - mission complete and an excellent and most attacking performance at The Ethiad in Pep’s 4 years.

The Great escape mark 2 was back on and other results were also going In our favour and goal difference within touching distance all we need to do is beat Southampton at home back to ‘easier games on paper’ that we should win and take it to the last day of the season, added with Watford and Villas games being tough but bang - back down to square one of how I felt after Palace, Wolves and Newcastle except now I have 100% come around to the fact we won’t be staying up, Infact so much so I’d prefer the season to end now to avoid another 6 days of pain and people saying until it’s mathematically possible etc etc.

It’s the hope throughout being built up and then dashed that has been the hardest thing (hence it feeling like a rollercoaster).

We aren’t good enough without hoping Watford pick up 0 from 6 and Villa not doing better than us with a game in hand and then is having to beat Everton.

BUT a day of reflection I’m actually really looking forward to The Championship. They famously said ‘you don’t win anything with kids’. Well I think we will give it a bloody good go with a side built around Kelly, Stacey, Mepham, Solanke, Surridge, Danjuma, Kilkenny, Oforborh and hopefully Ramsdale and Lewis Cook, added with Steve Cook, Billing, Gosling, Smith and that’s without the small chance of holding onto one of our better players or two, not to mention a couple of loan signings from a premier league club what is there not to be excited about?

I agree, think we'll have a very good Championship side. My main concern is that EH will want them to continue to play like they have for the last eighteen months.

I have found “project restart” very peculiar. I just haven’t been emotionally invested at all.

It’s been a long time since the days where the week revolved around the game, we probably all phase in and out of that at different times of life, but now even that very day it doesn’t. I’ve sometimes forgotten to even look up the team an hour before kick off...not being able to go, meet up with football friends etc is a major part of it for me, coupled with the whole tv experience, not just the lack of fans in the ground but the dreary pundits who know little about anyone outside the big clubs telling me what I should be thinking. I’m just so detached from it all.

I’m also not great at watching us on the telly, I can’t track the game the same way, I can’t pick out the players movements. At least if you’re at most games the other games are a bit easier, but after so many games I just drop back into the watching the ball routine...

That said, I’m also very excited about the prospect of a “all or nothing” season in the Championship, if of course, we still have Howe and the majority of the players mentioned above.

No VAR, no Premier League tourists, proper clubs, proper fans, more games, more competitive throughout the league. If we can all be back in the grounds as well, what a celebration that would be.

Think a number of us wanted the season to end at the start of lockdown.

We may or may not have under the various ideas that had mooted been better off than we are now.

But as usual money came first yet again.

Bugger.

I thought this was about Alton Towers after lockdown had been eased..................................................

I wish it was!

Think a number of us wanted the season to end at the start of lockdown.

We may or may not have under the various ideas that had mooted been better off than we are now.

But as usual money came first yet again.

As did I but only if it meant any PPG meant we stayed up and as around 5/6 different ways of calculating meant we went down without kicking another ball I wanted us to play our way out of trouble

I was absolutely with you until the final paragraph. Am I the only loonie bin candidate that still thinks that we will wriggle our way through? I actually thought that you last para was headed for "But a day of reflection and I am looking forward to tomorrow's results and then knowing what needs to happen on the last day".

For me, the big thing has been the unrealized expectations. I could barely sleep Saturday night, and was up at 6:30 a.m. for the 9:00 a.m. start v Southampton. Not crushed by the result, just "blah".

Already getting nostalgic! Just watched the 3-3 V Everton and the 4-3 V Liverpool.
Rob, you have hit on two of my strongest AFCB memories to date in my brief 5 years here (along with Leicester last week). In fact, 3-3 v Everton was my first Cherries game, what a way to get hooked. Thus, will July 26 v Everton book-end my PL experience with the Cherries ..... or will it become the most memorable of all!!

...same feelings for me too..almost to the letter!

I have found “project restart” very peculiar. I just haven’t been emotionally invested at all.

It’s been a long time since the days where the week revolved around the game, we probably all phase in and out of that at different times of life, but now even that very day it doesn’t. I’ve sometimes forgotten to even look up the team an hour before kick off...not being able to go, meet up with football friends etc is a major part of it for me, coupled with the whole tv experience, not just the lack of fans in the ground but the dreary pundits who know little about anyone outside the big clubs telling me what I should be thinking. I’m just so detached from it all.

I’m also not great at watching us on the telly, I can’t track the game the same way, I can’t pick out the players movements. At least if you’re at most games the other games are a bit easier, but after so many games I just drop back into the watching the ball routine...

That said, I’m also very excited about the prospect of a “all or nothing” season in the Championship, if of course, we still have Howe and the majority of the players mentioned above.

No VAR, no Premier League tourists, proper clubs, proper fans, more games, more competitive throughout the league. If we can all be back in the grounds as well, what a celebration that would be.
:clap: a good post, more or less how I feel.

Great post the only thing I'd add on top of that is the tossing out of the rule book. Squad registrations, packed fixtures, small-batch training, no pre-season and most importantly an apparently unlimited supply of tests for entertainers while people were dying from lack of testing in their hundreds daily.

I still feel pretty angry it's happening at all. I'd like us to stay up just so relegation sour grapes accusations can't be thrown at me.

On a practical level, today, surely, we'll get relegated? Sad day but on-wards and upwards.
The only question mark is what will the club decide to do about Eddie? Will he leave anyway? Is it time for a change?

Imagine how poor old Top Farrier copes with a black and white portable

I doubt that the side we put out in the Championship will be of sufficient quality to make any impact, and the games come thick and fast. Look at the team we put out when we won the Championship, and we don't have anyone now who can match Ritchie, Fraser and Callum when he was on top form.

;