Ryan Fredericks

Believe Fredericks has had stints of being asked to be both attack and defensive minded at full back as West Ham have gone through managers and systems in his years there.

Free transfer. 60 odd PL appearances over a few seasons (during which he's been restricted by a few injuries), on top of 140 odd Championship appearances. He fits in with the certain level of player standard in and around our squad. It's not a signing to make the PL sit up and take note, but it's useful and develops what we have.

Is he any good? I've got to say he's one that has passed me by.

I went on a couple of WHU message boards and he's conspicuous by his absence. They don't seem that bothered.

Poor signing on paper. Have got a couple of West Ham supporting mates and they both say roughly the same thing, can’t defend and poor on the ball but has a bit of pace. And he is injury prone too. We should be looking to sign players unproven at PL level with the potential to make the step up, and avoiding signing players who have proven that they aren’t really up to much at this level. Disappointing start to our summer business and we are going to need to do a lot better to stand any kind of chance. I’m not a huge Stacy fan but if this is the profile of player we are looking at I’d sooner give him a shot, not sure why we couldn’t pursue Laird on loan again who also would have been a preferable alternative? Maybe he’ll prove himself to be a better player than he was at West Ham but I’m not so sure.

Poor signing on paper. Have got a couple of West Ham supporting mates and they both say roughly the same thing, can’t defend and poor on the ball but has a bit of pace. And he is injury prone too. We should be looking to sign players unproven at PL level with the potential to make the step up, and avoiding signing players who have proven that they aren’t really up to much at this level. Disappointing start to our summer business and we are going to need to do a lot better to stand any kind of chance. I’m not a huge Stacy fan but if this is the profile of player we are looking at I’d sooner give him a shot, not sure why we couldn’t pursue Laird on loan again who also would have been a preferable alternative? Maybe he’ll prove himself to be a better player than he was at West Ham but I’m not so sure.

Charlton fans said Franno was poor when we signed him... Sometimes it takes a move and different people around a player to bring the best out of them...

Ethan Laird had 6 months working with the squad and management and for whatever reason had a very limited opportunities.

That’s not going to change with a step up in level and it’s likely to be a wasted loan when we are only allowed 2(?).

Charlton fans said Franno was poor when we signed him... Sometimes it takes a move and different people around a player to bring the best out of them...
True, but Franno was in his mid twenties with scope to develop. Fredericks is soon to be 30. I just don’t get this signing. I can only assume Parker wanted him, let’s hope he has a way in mind of utilising him that has him performing to a higher standard than he did at West Ham.

True, but Franno was in his mid twenties with scope to develop. Fredericks is soon to be 30. I just don’t get this signing. I can only assume Parker wanted him, let’s hope he has a way in mind of utilising him that has him performing to a higher standard than he did at West Ham.

He brings Premier League experience, he’s a slightly older head, perhaps he brings a good balance to the dressing room like it was said Robbie Brady does?

He brings Premier League experience, he’s a slightly older head, perhaps he brings a good balance to the dressing room like it was said Robbie Brady does?
Perhaps, but I just can’t envisage him being of the required quality to compete. If you look at the business that Forest and Fulham are doing they are splashing the cash and signing top talent from abroad, just can’t see us competing with even them, let alone the rest of the league, with this profile of signing.

Perhaps, but I just can’t envisage him being of the required quality to compete. If you look at the business that Forest and Fulham are doing they are splashing the cash and signing top talent from abroad, just can’t see us competing with even them, let alone the rest of the league, with this profile of signing.

Remind me what happened last time Fulham splashed hundreds of millions on players?

Forest to finish above us then? Sounds familiar….

The same Fulham who have also been interested in signing Fredericks?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...sfer-latest-premier-league-2022-b1001337.html

https://the72.co.uk/2022/05/24/trus...ares-key-update-on-ryan-fredericks-to-fulham/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...t-ham-everton-eye-move-maxwel-cornet-burnley/

Perhaps, but I just can’t envisage him being of the required quality to compete. If you look at the business that Forest and Fulham are doing they are splashing the cash and signing top talent from abroad, just can’t see us competing with even them, let alone the rest of the league, with this profile of signing.[/QUOTE

Oh Gawd, here we go again, the Prophet Of Doom is back.

Not at all. Just an opinion. Fredericks is a poor signing but Rothwell is a very good one in my opinion. We need more Rothwells (talented players eager to prove themselves in the PL) in the rest of the window.

;