Ryan Fredericks

Probably wont go down well on here but I've always thought Stacey has got a rough deal from some fans on here... He's a decent player, has PL experience and very good going forward... Let's face it, we're hardly likely to be in the market for players like Alexander-Arnold are we... Everyone we buy will have their weaknesses and we'll just have to accept that.

It does, however, look like Parker doesn't fancy him, but Smith is a quality player so rightly sits ahead of Stacey... To say that Smith and Stacey are liabilities is just nonsense...

I like Stacey, but he's stood still since signing. After a bright start, he's not developed or kicked on, and is basically still the green and erratic young full back he was 3 years ago. He was poor last season IMHO.

Having different managers and coaching staff with different preferences in that time probably wasn't ideal for Jack's development. Maybe we look to sell, maybe he goes out on loan? I wouldn't want to just discard him lightly as there is a player there somewhere.

I haven't seen Fredericks play loads, but I do know he's experienced with a decent number of PL games under his belt. That will help the squad. Parker knows him, he'll know Parker's systems. I know he is right sided but also has covered the left when called upon. That's useful. It's a free transfer, so the risk is lessened.

Fredericks may not be the most exciting or ground breaking signing, but if he can provide a little more consistency and experience then that builds the squad.

Adam Smith will be competing for the spot of course, we know he does a job.

Last edited:
Seems like we are leaning towards signing players on a free rather than just throwing money at other clubs to get the players we’ve identified at all costs.
Personally I’m quite happy to see that.
Of course we will pay the odd transfer fee this summer but I like to see us being a bit more prudent with the expected income.
Hopefully that means more left over to keep Max happy and to progress our off-field activities.

To be fair, we did go quite large in the January window, so it seems sensible to keep a tighter hold of the purse strings this summer.
This team, with the right tactics and attitude, already has a fair shot at avoiding relegation, so no need to go overboard with the signings in my opinion.

:utc:
Is it August yet ???

I get it, signing a player like Fredericks on a free isn't "sexy", I think you all got spoiled when Rico rolled up. Now that was a sexy transfer (fee undisclosed)

No problem with signing players on a free, if they are good enough. Rothwell would be a very good signing, one of the most creative midfielders in the championship last season and just hitting his prime. Fredericks is injury prone, past his peak, will be 30 in September and was third choice right back for a team we will be playing in the same division as. Stacey isn’t good enough in my opinion but I’d sooner keep him on than sign Fredericks, at least we won’t still be lumbered with him if we go down. This signing doesn’t make sense, the only logical justification is too add PL experience but even that isn’t entirely logical as we don’t exactly lack that anyway. Very happy with Rothwell, Fredericks is very disappointing. We are being linked with Matt Ritchie too, if that one turns out to be true then I’d start to question the strategy going into this season. We need young proven championship players with the ability to make the step up who will be able to get us back if we go down and provide resale value. We don’t need past it players who we are only going to be lumbered with on big wages if we are to go down.

Stacey has calmer temperament. Smith has more aggression. Smith defends better. Stacey attacks better in general. So, you could argue I guess that Smith's aggression at times can be a liability when he sort of pushes a fourth official or gets involved in a melee. When he channels his aggression, though, he's a better defender than Stacey.

No problem with signing players on a free, if they are good enough. Rothwell would be a very good signing, one of the most creative midfielders in the championship last season and just hitting his prime. Fredericks is injury prone, past his peak, will be 30 in September and was third choice right back for a team we will be playing in the same division as. Stacey isn’t good enough in my opinion but I’d sooner keep him on than sign Fredericks, at least we won’t still be lumbered with him if we go down. This signing doesn’t make sense, the only logical justification is too add PL experience but even that isn’t entirely logical as we don’t exactly lack that anyway. Very happy with Rothwell, Fredericks is very disappointing. We are being linked with Matt Ritchie too, if that one turns out to be true then I’d start to question the strategy going into this season. We need young proven championship players with the ability to make the step up who will be able to get us back if we go down and provide resale value. We don’t need past it players who we are only going to be lumbered with on big wages if we are to go down.

We're always linked with Ritchie though, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt for now. I'd rather have Lowton.

[

I’m hoping Ritchie is just the usual transfer window ‘well he has a house in the new forest’ ridiculous link.

Although he’s not going to be in Newcastles plans for much longer regardless

;