Scott Parker

I'm happy enough with what has happened so far. (Not fussed about Norwich game). Parker is having to create a tasty meal from some fairly basic and limited ingredients. The shopping delivery is starting to arrive with players coming back from bans/injury. He'll have more ingredients to work with. The next few games will give me a better idea as to how he's doing.

Dangerous analogy WnW …
9F8384C2-D3BA-42E9-849F-EF26E0BCA55B.jpeg

Fulham fan in peace. Parker played every game with handbrake on, possession for the sake of possession, no incision. Do you guys not already see why you're bottom of the table in terms of attempted shots at goal? Parker was manager during the 2 most boring seasons I've ever witnessed as a Fulham fan. Hope he changes his ways for you.

Lets judge when we see our squad after the transfer window shuts. Still waiting for half of our expected outfield starting line up to get back to fitness.

First half vs Blackpool was full throttle attack to be honest but then a team of kids lost their way a bit, coasted and then we conceded 2 goals in 3 minutes from soft refereeing decisions (free kick and pen).

Prior to this two awkward away games where the team had to battle hard for points including playing with a man short for a long period of time. Similarly a very weak team stood up to a physical West Brom team to draw.

I am happy at the togetherness of the squad that Parker has developed - this was lacking last season - so that’s one big tick already.

I wouldn't say its been too bad so far, particularly as half the side has been made up of unproven (at this level and in some cases, any level) youth players. Joke game against Norwich aside (and 2nd half v Blackpool last weekend), we've looked like more a team unit than we've witnessed for several seasons now, despite looking weaker on paper. Time will tell.

Still have several key players to return, including 3 centre mids who'd walk into most sides at this level: Lerma, Pearson and Cook. Same with our 2 attacking right backs - Smith and Stacey.

Plus the new signings - left winger Rogers from Man City. and possibly another striker (seeing as we only have 1 at present) and right winger/attacking mid. I would say Cahill, but not sure how much he'd influence our creativity...

So I'd say 10 points from 12 is a great start considering the players that have been unavailable to him.
And 2 goals in each of our league games

Agree - hence the warm reception from fans to the youngsters after that Norwich defeat

This was the same during out Great Escape season 1994-95 with Mel Machin in charge.

During that season he signed some young players, Steve Robinson from Spurs, Steve Jones fand Matt Holland from West Ham.

Even though we had a number of defeats, the fans got behind the players and at the end of the games they were applauded off the pitch.

Mel Machin made some astute signings with those youngsters.

This was the same during out Great Escape season 1994-95 with Mel Machin in charge.

During that season he signed some young players, Steve Robinson from Spurs, Steve Jones fand Matt Holland from West Ham.

Even though we had a number of defeats, the fans got behind the players and at the end of the games they were applauded off the pitch.

Mel Machin made some astute signings with those youngsters.

the game that stood out in my memory was a midweek home defeat to Peterborough (think 0-3) when the players were clapped off at full time

Thought Scott Parker has been brought in to build for the ‘long term’ rather than the here and now.

Not necessarily for promotion this season but to build a strong squad/team for the future.

This has started with ’forced‘ selections in playing a number of youngsters from the start and on the bench due to injuries to more senior members of the team.

So if/when we get promotion we will have a side/plus additions like before to survive in that league and not coming up and down like Norwich City.

Like Eddie did.

Thought Scott Parker has been brought in to build for the ‘long term’ rather than the here and now.

Not necessarily for promotion this season but to build a strong squad/team for the future.

This has started with ’forced‘ selections in playing a number of youngsters from the start and on the bench due to injuries to more senior members of the team.

So if/when we get promotion we will have a side/plus additions like before to survive in that league and not coming up and down like Norwich.

Like Eddie did.
Not in the same style as Eddie did though.
If getting promoted means being 'hard to beat 'every week then I'll think I'll pass thanks.
I want to enjoy watching us and have a bit of pride in how we play......like i did with Eddie.

So if/when we get promotion we will have a side/plus additions like before to survive in that league and not coming up and down like Norwich City.

Like Eddie did.
I think the next 10 games will tell us more if Parker is promotion at all costs or developing with promotion as medium term goal.

It could be argued that Norwich are attacking and get stronger by Championship standards every time they come back down and while that's not enough to stay up, they retain what's needed to keep getting promoted. One year they will be well placed in Jan and might give it right go in the market to stay up.

In contrast I am not sure if enough of our current squad, whether we go up or not, will be able to step up a level to PL next year. Some will, but with some nearer the end of careers, we need a plan. If we are happy to go up and then down then up again as Norwich have while we develop slowly, then I am not against that if we tie players in for long enough. However if we want to go up and have a chance, the only way to have a squad capable, and avoid another spending spree is to accelerate the development of the younger players, which means risking them when other players might be a safer short term option.

That might mean we don't go up this year, but increases the chances over 2 years and probably can mean taking risks to be more expansive.

So whether or not, this year might be better by giving SP what he wants, if I was above SP in the food chain, I wouldn't give him extra recruits unless they are also younger prospects to develop, and I would accept the risks of a compact small squad to ensure he had little choice but to develop this crop for the longer term.

Imagine if he can add an EXTRA 1 out 10 across all positions then by the end of the season this line up would be difficult to beat (maybe 2 from Brooks, but we know he has it)

Travers
Stacey Rossi Kelly [Zemura or Davis]
(2 from Kilkenny, L Cook, Pearson)
Anthony, Brooks, Rogers
Solanke

Had Travers not been ill, 8 would have started Saturday, so to get that full team improved and as first choice by May isn't a stretch, it's just a hugely exciting prospect and a team I would look forward to seeing every week.

Like Eddie did.
As far as I understand it, SP’s job is to get us back to the PL this season at all cost. MD can only sell the club for the money he wants when we are back at the promised land

The way I see things, there are two goals:

- Business sustainability
- Promotion

Sorry for stating the obvious here: yes, we want promotion but we have to be responsible with the finances so we're not up Sh×× Creek if we don't get promoted. Everything we do therefore needs to be a careful balancing act between the two. Protecting the business comes first with the ultimate aim of promotion.

I like SP so far…talks honestly and sensibly… he seems to have a let’s work hard ethic…he is working with a squad that is a developing one without huge signings or PL wannabes…for me it should be a long term challenge and much building is required…like to see us have a good foundation and achievable goals

Only issue I have with him so far is that he’s easily led in interviews.

The whole Steve Cook was a “selection decision” was literally words put in his mouth by the interviewer.

He has a tendency to just parrot back what’s said to him.

Other than that. He’s getting the team to work hard, I can see what he’s trying to do and we have a vision and identity building. We haven’t seen the finished article and sometimes you have to take a step back to take a couple of steps forward so happy to give it time.

Don't really care what Parker (or whoever the manager may be) says in interviews, it's all b*ll*cks anyway. Managers don't really want to be doing it (SOD anyone?), they give the minimum away or talk in nonsense clichés, or outright falsehoods (Fletch's fitness?).

I can see what he's trying to do with the team. Time will tell if it works, but at least there's a plan.

I do care about little things like coming over to acknowledge traveling supporters. Easy to do it after a win, but walking straight off after a slightly disappointing result is not a good look.

;