Season passes with a whimper?

For me Gosling (I forgot about him!!) has been about the same - again he is prob at about his peak ability and he formed a decent partnership with Lerma for a lot of the season. Surman has had an injury blighted season so hard to tell.
I know it sounds like a scratched record from me but I think our continual re jigging of the team due to an appalling run of injuries has been the major factor in our inconsistency and poor run post November.

I think you are right. It happens though and I don’t think we have adapted to it as well as we could both in terms of systems we have played and recruitment.

I think you are right. It happens though and I don’t think we have adapted to it as well as we could both in terms of systems we have played and recruitment.
I agree re the systems and to a certain extent recruitment, we never seem prepared to give 3 at the back or 3 in centre midfield a real go.
Recruitment this year has been better with Lerma and Brooks as plusses - Mepham and Solanke I think and hope will be good, but when are we ever going to find a left back and get value out of Ibe and Moussett.
Hopefully Lewis Cook will come back fit and strong next season but we must look at long term upgrades on Gosling and Surman.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

As usual Spread sheet Druss can prove anything to himself unless it involves one of Ibes better games.

Points tally’s vary for reasons. You can have a year where the bottom team give everyone six points and a year where they only narrowly go down. You can have years where the top six give people nothing or a year where a few of them are off the ball.

To me you have to judge it on what you see, what the management and players say and whether you see the players in front of you visually getting better, staying the same or getting worse.

To me it’s been our poorest year in this league. Eddie also has talked about the strange inconsistency that has crept in. Players haven’t always looked happy and sulk with each other on pitch.

How many players that were with us last year (so we can judge) are better than last season. I’d say weeman and that’s it. Maybe Wilson. Everyone else has stayed the same or gone backwards. That’s really poor. We have had four injections of 100m plus and still haven’t rectified the ability to defend, play a five man midfield or a plan b of attacking.

Yes, every year we stay in this division is a fillip for us older fans but is that the level of our ambition? To stay in the PL, not look to really progress in cups? Not attack Man City at all. That’s not the spirit of this club, that’s the spirit of Tony Pulis.

If I had one wish for this club it would be to start thinking beyond ‘we used to play Grimsby’ and to start to think like a PL club on and off the field. Improve the facilities, stop the endless nepotistic coaching appointments, attack the FA Cup one year. Start going at teams again. Let’s not become a West Brom let’s go back to the Eddie trademark football.

Having fun because someone used the term "ever" in respect to this year's stats and Neil gets upset at me.

Take a break Neil.

Meanwhile Neil moans when we capitulate to Man City and also moans when Man City have to run the clock down with the ball in the corner in the 90th minute.

Eddie must wake up in sweats at night with fear of how he can please Neil.

Having fun because someone used the term "ever" in respect to this year's stats and Neil gets upset at me.

Take a break Neil.

Meanwhile Neil moans when we capitulate to Man City and also moans when Man City have to run the clock down with the ball in the corner in the 90th minute.

Eddie must wake up in sweats at night with fear of how he can please Neil.

Not really. Other than my wife and probably my previous wife for a bit Eddie has pleased me more than anyone on this planet...

Eddie's judgement has really been poor this season.

1. Failure to get the best out of Mings and then sending him out on loan leaving the defence vulnerable when players get injured.

2. Sending Pugh out on loan instead of Ibe. Would start the former every time over the latter.

3. Finally waking up to the fact Begovic had the worst goalkeeping record in the division, when others on here including myself had been pointing it out for months.

4. Poor handling of Fraser, so much so that he wants to leave the club.

5. A terrible January transfer window, What is the point of Solanke and Mepham

6. And what is the point of Mosset and Rico come to that. Millions forked out for no return.

7. Inability to win two successive games. Such a turn round in form between 2 games. Like win 5-0 at Brighton and then lose 1-0 at home to Fulham, win 4-0 at home to Chelsea, lose 2-0 away at Cardiff. Must take the biscuit for inconsistency. Having fantastic wins, the adrenalin should be so high, yet it never is.

8. Too much faith in players who would struggle in the Championship like Daniels, Francis, Gosling, Surman

9. Another FA Cup debacle.

10. Failure to beat our rival Scummers for the third successive season even though the League Table suggests we are better than they.

11. Players who go down far to easy. Makes me ashamed.

Oh well, another season to look forward to that will be identical to the last 4.

"That’s not the spirit of this club, that’s the spirit of Tony Pulis."

I thought I'd read it all. And from the same person who hasn't been going to away games because he's bored. Should have gone to Brighton, Scum and Palace Neil, superb entertainment throughout. Spurs at home wasn't bad either.

How some people's cup's fill or empties is quite obvious!!!!

Eddie's judgement has really been poor this season.

1. Failure to get the best out of Mings and then sending him out on loan leaving the defence vulnerable when players get injured.

2. Sending Pugh out on loan instead of Ibe. Would start the former every time over the latter.

3. Finally waking up to the fact Begovic had the worst goalkeeping record in the division, when others on here including myself had been pointing it out for months.

4. Poor handling of Fraser, so much so that he wants to leave the club.

5. A terrible January transfer window, What is the point of Solanke and Mepham

6. And what is the point of Mosset and Rico come to that. Millions forked out for no return.

7. Inability to win two successive games. Such a turn round in form between 2 games. Like win 5-0 at Brighton and then lose 1-0 at home to Fulham, win 4-0 at home to Chelsea, lose 2-0 away at Cardiff. Must take the biscuit for inconsistency. Having fantastic wins, the adrenalin should be so high, yet it never is.

8. Too much faith in players who would struggle in the Championship like Daniels, Francis, Gosling, Surman

9. Another FA Cup debacle.

10. Failure to beat our rival Scummers for the third successive season even though the League Table suggests we are better than they.

11. Players who go down far to easy. Makes me ashamed.

Oh well, another season to look forward to that will be identical to the last 4.

Some contradictions mate, complain about sticking with the old guard, but say mistake to send Pugh on loan. Btw I hardly think francis and Daniels struggled in the championship.
Mings has been injured pretty much since we signed him, so sending him on loan seems pretty good idea.
Not sure contract negotiations are eddies job.
Bego worst keeper in premier league, where does that come from? De gea made some pretty big errors, not seen bego make those sorts of errors this season.
Clearly you've only started supporting in last 5 years, you wouldn't be moaning if you had for longer

“What’s the point of Solanke and Mepham?”

Wow, talk about not giving people a chance...

I think Solanke showed his promise in the Newcastle home game, great possession and touch for King’s goal, and to me Mepham has looked a real raw talent who will develop into a very good PL defender

“What’s the point of Solanke and Mepham?”

Wow, talk about not giving people a chance...

I think Solanke showed his promise in the Newcastle home game, great possession and touch for King’s goal, and to me Mepham has looked a real raw talent who will develop into a very good PL defender

I am genuinely excited about Solanke now compared to when we signed him. With decent pre season fitness build up, I think Solanke will do well. Mepham has potential but it’s a big jump from Brentford to dealing with prem strikers without defensive cover he is used too.

"That’s not the spirit of this club, that’s the spirit of Tony Pulis."

I thought I'd read it all. And from the same person who hasn't been going to away games because he's bored. Should have gone to Brighton, Scum and Palace Neil, superb entertainment throughout. Spurs at home wasn't bad either.

How some people's cup's fill or empties is quite obvious!!!!

I was at Palace and Southampton and witnessed good entertainment and 8 goals against us in 180 mins.

The Tony Pulis reference was my personal preference not to give up the cups to the reserves and not attack top teams just to try and stay in a division. That’s what he always did and I think we are better than that.

Just being a supporter of Boscombe is a joyful thing.....if we never become big, never get a bigger Stadium....it will still be good to enjoy whatever highs we get! If we do progress further with the Stadium built then thats even better......but I wouldnt ever want to be a Liverpool or Manc fan expecting the World to fall at your feet every week and having their Mondays when it hasnt happened ! We know how to handle the Mondays!

I was at Palace and Southampton and witnessed good entertainment and 8 goals against us in 180 mins.

The Tony Pulis reference was my personal preference not to give up the cups to the reserves and not attack top teams just to try and stay in a division. That’s what he always did and I think we are better than that.

Fair enough. I couldn't give a hoot about the cups.
It's the 38 games a season that I get my football fix from, every Saturday.
We've attacked every top team this season apart from Liverpool in at least one game so I don't accept that argument. Man City away we went for them and nearly got something too, at home we had to adapt to an injury crisis. Arsenal at home? Chelsea both games, Man Utd at home, Spurs at home?
I think it just suits this years narrative for you that we suddenly "don't attack top teams". Utter rubbish.
Staying in the division is just fine for some of us, thank you and good night!!! I don't need to see us look like Bolton for at least a few more years.

Fair enough. For every Bolton there is Norwich. Depends whether you are glass half full or not I guess.

We should be equipped to stay in this league having received 600m from it and still have a pop at the FA Cup. I might have a different recollection of the games to you but we rested players at Man U (another Pulis tactic) and were very poor. We didn’t go at Spurs at there place we sat back and were demolished and only attacked them here when they had nine men. I went to both Liverpool games and also thought our approach was far less adventurous than when we first came up. Man City we became the first team to never have a shot on or off target. Arsenal away is as poor a team performance as you will see and the only game I’ve left early.

Chelsea at home was great, I will give you that one but not sure where you are at with the rest. I don’t expect us to win any of these by the way, just to have a right go.

Fair enough. For every Bolton there is Norwich. Depends whether you are glass half full or not I guess.

We should be equipped to stay in this league having received 600m from it and still have a pop at the FA Cup. I might have a different recollection of the games to you but we rested players at Man U (another Pulis tactic) and were very poor. We didn’t go at Spurs at there place we sat back and were demolished and only attacked them here when they had nine men. I went to both Liverpool games and also thought our approach was far less adventurous than when we first came up. Man City we became the first team to never have a shot on or off target. Arsenal away is as poor a team performance as you will see and the only game I’ve left early.

Chelsea at home was great, I will give you that one but not sure where you are at with the rest. I don’t expect us to win any of these by the way, just to have a right go.

Once again Neil you are ignoring the fact that Man City had to keep the ball in the corner to hold out for the win at the end. You would be the first to moan about us shipping 4 or 5 against them.

You also talk about the money we have made from the league as if that means we should be competitive to compete.

• Man City - August value: £953.5m / Current value: £1.1bn (Highest value player - Kevin De Bruyne - £135m)

• AFC Bournemouth - August: £147.83m / Current value: £208.35m (Jefferson Lerma - £22.5m)
Its all relative.

Yes we have had lots of money from the Premier League over the 4 seasons now.
However, I don't think it's apples-to-apples to compare us now to our 2015-16 season, as I would argue that the quality of the PL (especially the top 6, but everybody really) has increased massively since then -- precisely because of the money.
So yes, we attacked more in our first PL season, but I'd say we were up against worse teams.
The fact that all the European finalists are English this year says something, I think.

Once again Neil you are ignoring the fact that Man City had to keep the ball in the corner to hold out for the win at the end. You would be the first to moan about us shipping 4 or 5 against them.

You also talk about the money we have made from the league as if that means we should be competitive to compete.

• Man City - August value: £953.5m / Current value: £1.1bn (Highest value player - Kevin De Bruyne - £135m)

• AFC Bournemouth - August: £147.83m / Current value: £208.35m (Jefferson Lerma - £22.5m)
Its all relative.

Do you seriously need to show me that? Like I’m sat here oblivious to the fact?

Four teams beat Man City this year by not checking bank balances when they got off the team bus and everyone else didn’t consult their Financial Director before having at least a couple shots on or off target against them.

Like i said. I expect us to get beat and there is no shame in that at all. For all the reasons you list. We are a team though that always used to have a right good go at teams, bomb at them. Yes you take a tanking, but we have taken plenty of those this year sitting deep so what’s the difference. What we have lost is that ability to blitz a top team, shock them and beat them 4-3 like we did Liverpool when we were more expansive, camped in their half. Even Chelsea, which was amazing don’t get me wrong, was done with minimal possession.

Again, regarding any comments about our FA Cup run this season, we actually played the strongest team we could this season, especially factoring in the monster injury list we had at the time.

Historically, yes, we bottle the FA Cup a bit. Personally, I couldn't care less; we always do well in the League Cup (consecutive Quarter finals, with good performances IN the QF). However, this season we played a reasonably strong team against a first choice PL team, amidst a bad run of form and injuries. To suggest that we didn't try and in the FA Cup this year is disingenuous and I'm sick of people constantly going on about it.

;