Shakespeare, wtf is that about? (non)

I've had enough.

Went to an open air production last night, and after 50 years of Shakespeare I've finally realised that it's shite from start to finish.

I did it at school, have been to the Swan and the Globe, have seen the RSC and many well known actooors perform etc. etc. and the only conclusion I can come to is that it's a con.

Shakespearian language to the average person may as well be Russian.
The plots are, over complicated, ludicrously far fetched and the humour is crass.

And what baffles me the most is why the plays haven't been called out by the woke.

Sexism, misogyny, racism, it's got the lot.

That's me done with the bloody Bard, you can keep it; there should be some kind of Me Too movement for those traumatised by it over the years.

I've had enough.

Went to an open air production last night, and after 50 years of Shakespeare I've finally realised that it's shite from start to finish.

I did it at school, have been to the Swan and the Globe, have seen the RSC and many well known actooors perform etc. etc. and the only conclusion I can come to is that it's a con.

Shakespearian language to the average person may as well be Russian.
The plots are, over complicated, ludicrously far fetched and the humour is crass.

And what baffles me the most is why the plays haven't been called out by the woke.

Sexism, misogyny, racism, it's got the lot.

That's me done with the bloody Bard, you can keep it; there should be some kind of Me Too movement for those traumatised by it over the years.
Snowflake.

Why persevere with ol' Shaky when you can wade through my plots and dits..have fun.

Weirdly though..I've only sparsely dipped into the Bard's stuff ..but occasionally it can provide some phrases and groups of words that can suffice when responding to seriously boring stuff that appears on this Forum..( of course some of that is from myself).
Sorry CherryPips All....I'm just gearing up for the New Season !

Note: There are loads of pubs around Britain called Globe or Swan !
One of the Globes I went in was the best pub ever...I think it was, iirc, in Lowestoft...and there was a betting shop alongside and some very ' accomodating' bints in the immediate vicinity!
The Swan, sadly shut, in Poole, was quite tasty too!

Last edited:
Flipping heck Rob - I knew you did mouth painting - I never realised how far you progressed. Fantastic stuff - and there was me thinking you were just a grumpy old so and so - like me.
Thank you. I'm still a grumpy git! I have a dedicated studio at the bottom of my garden which is giving me the incentive to keep on painting.

Also, @DJ kindly lets me share my videos on here, but I try and remove them after a short while so as hopefully not to irritate people.

Hope you are well.

Flipping heck Rob - I knew you did mouth painting - I never realised how far you progressed. Fantastic stuff - and there was me thinking you were just a grumpy old so and so - like me.

I think he's been encouraged to paint a lot during lockdown by his family, if he's painting, he can't talk ; )

Only joking Rob, see you later : )

Thank you. I'm still a grumpy git! I have a dedicated studio at the bottom of my garden which is giving me the incentive to keep on painting.

Also, @DJ kindly lets me share my videos on here, but I try and remove them after a short while so as hopefully not to irritate people.

Hope you are well.
Grumpy is good Rob and is a fundamental right for old gits like me.

Out of interest, what was the play you saw last night ? I'm by no means keen on all his stuff, but some plays I think are great.

I used to detest Shakespeare, and couldn't see what the fuss was all about. But I had a fantastic English teacher at school and one day I challenged him to prove to me why Shakespeare was a genius.

He took a speech, carefully deconstructed it, pointed out the power of the imagery and the brilliant use of language. All things I hadn't seen or understood before.

From that point on I was a fan !

;