Shane Long

Over the years we have done very well with the various loans from Saints now it is pay back time. They have dumped him onto our salary bill for a few months and their youngsters get a chance on their bench.

We have a long history of signing non scoring forwards so nothing has changed. Such a pity the donkey sanctuary on the Northbourne roundabout has closed that training option is gone. He of course will benefit from one to one coaching from Steve Fletcher.

Wow......

None of us know how much better he could be at Championship level - I read a fan of them up the road saying Ings would never have scored all the goals he did last season if it wasn’t for Long creating space and linking up play intelligently

I'm happy with this. It's only a loan until the end of the season. We needed another striker. I was always pleased when he was substituted when he played us as I always thought he was a threat.
I think he has a good attitude and is prepared to work hard unlike some of his new team mates.
Positive signing.

He has been playing recently, albeit not regularly so hopefully he gets up to speed fast because if Solanke has a season ending injury then we’re pretty screwed

I really do not get all the negativity. I'm not just talking about signing Long, but for everything. Some threads are absolutely soaking wet. No, this isn't a plea to accept any old böllocks, but some perspective is needed.

Long only needs to make one or two important contributions and we are minted. Even a bit player can be all important.

Remember this? Look at the build up to the goal. Jones really wanted it.

Oh, and how many points did we finish above Watford?*

*We might have been champions on goal difference anyway, but not losing at Ipswich preserved the unbeaten run and had we lost...

Amazes me, the stick flying about this signing. He made 185 Premiership appereances scoring 27 goals. One goal every 1.685 games. Compare this to 628 games and 103 goals, one goal every 1.609 games, not a tremendous difference is there? The second set of stats belong to a player considered by most to be a club legend, none of those goals were scored in the Prem. The player at the time was thought as one of the first picks on the team sheet! There is even a stand named after him!! Cut Shane Long some slack, give him a chance and you never know this could be a club legend in the making!! :grinning:

Amazes me, the stick flying about this signing. He made 185 Premiership appereances scoring 27 goals. One goal every 1.685 games. Compare this to 628 games and 103 goals, one goal every 1.609 games, not a tremendous difference is there? The second set of stats belong to a player considered by most to be a club legend, none of those goals were scored in the Prem. The player at the time was thought as one of the first picks on the team sheet! There is even a stand named after him!! Cut Shane Long some slack, give him a chance and you never know this could be a club legend in the making!! :grinning:
DJ - Might I suggest you check your numbers! You are crediting our ' club legend' with being the equivalent of an almost 30 goals a season striker. I don't think that even he would claim to be that good. We are talking about a goal every six or seven matches in each case based on your figures.

DJ - Might I suggest you check your numbers! You are crediting our ' club legend' with being the equivalent of an almost 30 goals a season striker. I don't think that even he would claim to be that good. We are talking about a goal every six or seven matches in each case based on your figures.
Sorry don't quite understand what you are saying. :)

I think your maths needs a check :slap:

He may well be a good foil for a player like Solanke. He works very hard, is quick and pulls defenders all over the place. Could see a combo of him and Dom working pretty well. Goals don't tell the whole story, and he has played a few games at prem level this season. With King gone I think it is a pretty good, short-term signing.

Amazes me, the stick flying about this signing. He made 185 Premiership appereances scoring 27 goals. One goal every 1.685 games.

Are you sure that's 1 every 1.6 games?

Isn't it 185/27 more like on in 7?

Take out those first two years and look at the last 5 seasons and you lose more than half of those goals...

Last edited:

;