Shane Long

he is a good looking chap, in the Surman mould

Sounds a lot like the wardrobe arguments we had on here. I was always a fan of Fletcher so, I'm going to like Long.

“He runs down lost causes, routinely wins headers on both sides of the pitch, and will flat out compete from kickoff.”

This was the reason I posted the para above and the particular piece above.

JT wants players who give 100%, can add something to the team.

Long has the experience, can read a game and takes up good positions and is strong in the air, but gives of his best while on the pitch.

Now we used to have discussions re the Big Man on this forum/other forums, re Fletch’s scoring record, but the Big Man caused problems for defenders, while his strike partners benefitted from this and did the business.

Long is on loan, fills a gap with King leaving, so no harm done and may be an inspired short term signing.

Are you sure that's 1 every 1.6 games?

Isn't it 185/27 more like on in 7?

Take out those first two years and look at the last 5 seasons and you lose more than half of those goals...
Yeah, I put the decimal point in the wrong place. I did amend the post and the figures still show a goal/games ratio to be very close ..... Homer Simpson moment, decimal point in the wrong place. Club legend ... One goal every 6.09 games. Shane Long one goal every 6.85 games. Same message I would venture!

He's not been signed for goals

He's been signed for experience, maturity, attitude, unselfish running, creating space and not being a prima donna

All the things we need

Just seems like we've just signed an older, slower, more expensive, and less prolific Solanke.

All those soft attributes are great but which player/sub does he replace? How much of the limited goal threat do you remove to try and create space for him?

Yeah, I put the decimal point in the wrong place. I did amend the post and the figures still show a goal/games ratio to be very close ..... Homer Simpson moment, decimal point in the wrong place. Club legend ... One goal every 6.09 games. Shane Long one goal every 6.85 games. Same message I would venture!

We're in relegation form scoring 4 times in the last 6 games (and 1 in 3), lack of clinical finishing being a real highlight of the season and we sign a player famous for his lack of accuracy in front of goal.

Supa got on average more assists in a single season than Long has his entire Southampton career.

Surridge: If given regular starts in this league..I reckon he could have notched 15 to 20 over 46 games....assuming all the team was on the same songsheet and servicing each others needs.

Just seems like we've just signed an older, slower, more expensive, and less prolific Solanke.

All those soft attributes are great but which player/sub does he replace? How much of the limited goal threat do you remove to try and create space for him?

We're in relegation form scoring 4 times in the last 6 games (and 1 in 3), lack of clinical finishing being a real highlight of the season and we sign a player famous for his lack of accuracy in front of goal.

Supa got on average more assists in a single season than Long has his entire Southampton career.
Slower!!................Solanke wouldn't see which way Shane went in a sprint!

Worth a shot as king wages off the books and at least his game is all about work.(hope it runs off on the rest of the squad)short term and saints could be paying some of his salary

King was another left hand side player but with Dan and Stan back and him leaving anyway. Then Stains came in for him offering Long as bait until the end of the season. Stains deal for King fell thru, but after talking to Long both sides still thought the loan deal was still a good idea.
Lets see what he can add to the team. I still think we should of shipped Billing out, but nobody wanted him.

Shane Long has become something of a forgotten man at Southampton.

Admittedly, he's never been particularly prolific in front of goal - though it's worth noting that his last full season in the second tier saw him notch 21 in 44 games - though his working of the channels and ability to stretch teams can be a huge asset to Bournemouth, especially with the addition of midfield metronome Jack Wilshere.

Breaking teams down has become an issue for Bournemouth in recent weeks, with just five goals scored in their previous eight league outings, and the chance to add a new dimension to their attacking play wasn't to be missed.

https://www.90min.com/posts/best-championship-signings-transfers-january-ranked

;