Shane Long

I really do not get all the negativity. I'm not just talking about signing Long, but for everything. Some threads are absolutely soaking wet. No, this isn't a plea to accept any old böllocks, but some perspective is needed.

Long only needs to make one or two important contributions and we are minted. Even a bit player can be all important.

Remember this? Look at the build up to the goal. Jones really wanted it.

Oh, and how many points did we finish above Watford?*

*We might have been champions on goal difference anyway, but not losing at Ipswich preserved the unbeaten run and had we lost...
Bloody well love that header! Two defenders pulling him back, made no difference.

If anybody has any doubts about why we signed him, I suggest they nip over to COWS and check out his video interview. What a top, top bloke. Really down to earth, wants to give his all, has a very positive outlook on our situation and life in general.

Now even more than before, I hope he does very well for us. He deserves it.

I also look forward to his end of season karaoke, once he has helped us to achieve promotion. :punk:

Good luck Shane !

I hope that he is genuine and I am convinced that with him and Pearson in the side we may at least have some 'leaders' out there on the pitch raising the level of commitment form the rest (Steve Cook excepted)

I hope that he is genuine and I am convinced that with him and Pearson in the side we may at least have some 'leaders' out there on the pitch raising the level of commitment form the rest (Steve Cook excepted)
I'd be happy for both Pearson and Long to start. I think the others have squandered enough opportunities and for Woodgate it would send the message that he is only interested in picking players who are up for the fight. Also at the first sign of this not being the case, players should be ruthlessly dropped.

I'd like to see it but I'm not expecting it. He'll probably go with a more conservative selection for his first game in charge, although in my mind that is exactly what we DON'T need with less than half a season to turn things around !!!

Whatever happens,
:utc:

I really do not get all the negativity. I'm not just talking about signing Long, but for everything. Some threads are absolutely soaking wet. No, this isn't a plea to accept any old böllocks, but some perspective is needed.

Long only needs to make one or two important contributions and we are minted. Even a bit player can be all important.

Remember this? Look at the build up to the goal. Jones really wanted it.

Oh, and how many points did we finish above Watford?*

*We might have been champions on goal difference anyway, but not losing at Ipswich preserved the unbeaten run and had we lost...
I recall Kenwyne Jones coming on in the 89th minute away at Reading in that season.
1 minute you may say, just to eat up a bit of time. Well in the 7 plus minutes of added time he played virtually as an extra centre half. The most heroic sub performance I have ever seen - headers, tackles, blocks, clearances. We had been camped in our own pen area for what seemed forever praying for the final whistle. That was a heroic performance from a loan player.
If Long can give us half that I will be well pleased.

I hope Woodgate transfers his on pitch cojones to off pitch ones. He needs to be tough and a figurehead who gets the team welded together in a way not seen for some time. Come on JW show your worth to us tomorrow.

I recall Kenwyne Jones coming on in the 89th minute away at Reading in that season.
1 minute you may say, just to eat up a bit of time. Well in the 7 plus minutes of added time he played virtually as an extra centre half. The most heroic sub performance I have ever seen - headers, tackles, blocks, clearances. We had been camped in our own pen area for what seemed forever praying for the final whistle. That was a heroic performance from a loan player.
If Long can give us half that I will be well pleased.

For that night and for Ipswich, KJ will always be fondly remembered at AFCB

King has scored 0 goals in 12 league games this season, whilst Long has scored 0 in 10, so you could argue that Long has the better scoring record. :)

Eeeeeerm, how many matches have either of them started out of those stats?

I know it was 10 years ago, but the last time Shane Long played in the Championship he scored 20 goals, plus another 2 in the play-offs.

In all that season he scored 28 goals.

I'd be happy for both Pearson and Long to start. I think the others have squandered enough opportunities and for Woodgate it would send the message that he is only interested in picking players who are up for the fight. Also at the first sign of this not being the case, players should be ruthlessly dropped.

I'd like to see it but I'm not expecting it. He'll probably go with a more conservative selection for his first game in charge, although in my mind that is exactly what we DON'T need with less than half a season to turn things around !!!

Whatever happens,
:utc:

Woodgate mentions in his interview that team have quality , but sometimes you need more than just quality to make a team .
So I think he’ll happily shake it up if he needs to ...

Woodgate mentions in his interview that team have quality , but sometimes you need more than just quality to make a team .
So I think he’ll happily shake it up if he needs to ...
I think that's what we're secretly hoping for. We are hoping he will be brave and change something. You would think this team selection would be heavily influenced by Purches since JW will be relying on him for information about the players. Let's just hope Purches had some good ideas of his own, which JT had not yet tried.

;