Sheff Utd starting lineup?

Ramsdale has had a solid pre-season (none conceded) but think Boruc's experience will shade it.

Rico looked better defensively today but, as others have said, it's still not quite all there.

Billing hasn't had a pre-season so will be eased in. Assuming Arter's now on his way given his absence from both friendly squads?

That's the exact reverse of last seasons complaints then. Which means he can follow instruction, as he's span his game 180 degrees. Just need to teach him how to balance the dichotomy and we'll be sorted

I don’t see how Travers or Ramsdale have blown it. They made about two significant mistakes between them. Personally I find them both, especially Ramsdale, to be a reassuring presence in goal.

Begovic on the other hand...yikes :eek!:
I think “blown it” is just exaggerated forum speak but I’m not sure either has quite done enough to show they are better than Boruc at this stage. We do have a very nervous home crowd so the worry with a young keeper is how they cope with the inevitable North Stand groans when they slice a clearance out for a throw in.

Ramsdale had big distribution issues today. There was one point when he came way out of his area today and won the ball. Great! However, he then didn't want to kick it with his wrong foot and dawdled trying to get it onto the other coming very close to getting tackled. If any Sheff Utd scouts were watching, and they were, the instruction will be if he plays then put huge pressure on him if the ball is on his wrong foot. He also had another distribution mishap earlier in the half.

It isn't that he won't be a good keeper but he's a risk right now that would be targeted by the opposition if we throw him in.

Travers also had issues last night.

Compare that to Boruc who is a known quantity and didn't do anything out of place today. It's just fallen in his lap.

"blown it' was meant in the sense that the door was gaping open for them to push their case but they didn't really take the chance. They left enough doubt just when they wanted to look completely authoritative.

I imagine one will go out on loan and the other will start the season as the number 2 keeper so there's still hope for the year ahead. Not sure which way around it will be though.

peyton
bond
coleman
teale
peacock
shearer
O'connor
moulden
O'driscoll
brooks
blissett

Wayne, I am loving this team*, but what formation are you playing? Where is Morrell? Newson dropped? So many of my favourite players there - Teale and Shearer and Peacock and Blissett.

*Brooks is dropped for future crimes against AFCB.

after watching both Lazio and lyon I would say boruc has to start
travers looked confident but he not ready yet in my opinion
ramsdale he looked very uncomfortable with the ball today
begovic well to say he was poor would be nice to him enough said.
both butcher and kilkenny looked good I think they will be in and around first team this season at some point but a loan for 6 months would be good
not sure if anyone else noticed but friday night fraser looked constantly pissed off with people around him hopefully it was just a off night

after watching both Lazio and lyon I would say boruc has to start
travers looked confident but he not ready yet in my opinion
ramsdale he looked very uncomfortable with the ball today
begovic well to say he was poor would be nice to him enough said.
both butcher and kilkenny looked good I think they will be in and around first team this season at some point but a loan for 6 months would be good
not sure if anyone else noticed but friday night fraser looked constantly pissed off with people around him hopefully it was just a off night

Fraser has been throwing strops all pre season.

Wayne, I am loving this team*, but what formation are you playing? Where is Morrell? Newson dropped? So many of my favourite players there - Teale and Shearer and Peacock and Blissett.

*Brooks is dropped for future crimes against AFCB.

was the team in 1989 vs sheff united, back then 4-4-2 was the formation that everyone used or it seemed that way it. as for morrell and newson they must have been injured but im only guessing. like your name too as Efan was a fav of mine.
lot of my fav players in there to

Rico is a worry going forward but defensively he’s much improved. Last season he was basically a training cone, not knowing whether to engage his opponent or stand off.

Today his positional sense was 100% better. He blocked a number of crosses and on the rare times Lyon did get in down his side he did enough to put the attacker off balance. If defending is the main priority in a full back (which it probably isn’t) then he’d be our starter.
Only saw the highlights today but Rico played a great ball in the lead up to the second goal and put in some great crosses from what I could see. We know he’s got it in his locker going forward so if he’s improved defensively he should be a guaranteed starter for me.

To be fair, Ibe, Kilkenny and maybe Rico deserve starts.

Smith -- Mepham -- Ake -- Rico
Ibe -- Jeff -- Kilkenny -- Weeman
Wilson -- King

Players to be brought on 2nd half:
Billing
Danjuma
Solanke

;