Should AFCB give Richard Scudamore £250,000?

a twitter "fact"

5 clubs have actually refused to pay it.
It seems they are Leicester, Burnley, Wolves, Palace and Huddersfield

Bravo to the Five...the Big Five now imo!

If Boscombe have dobbed out to this Scroat .....my anger which has just struck Big Ben is not at him but the snivelling sewer rats at the club.
I will never stop supporting Boscombe in the name of the original custodians of a 'Football' Club and the present players but if we fall on hard times again I will laugh before I cry. Nailed on!

Last edited:
If I were a local charity struggling to raise much-needed funds, then I'd be firing off a letter to Jeff tomorrow, asking for a modest contribution, say a couple of grand. Hard to see how the club could possibly refuse.

I’m not sure any club wanted to do it.

It’s akin to when the envelope comes round the office and everyone is expected to stick a fiver in so that Dorice in accounts can have a nice boots voucher.

I wouldn't give someone who facilitated footballers earning in a week the same as a nurse earns in 10 years anything. Except a kick in the balls

I don't get this. Why should footballers not earn high wages, in an industry that has so much money around it and they are the reason people want to watch the sport? The biggest film stars get paid huge wages....the most successful musicians earn way more than the top footballers do. Why should footballers be any different?

As well as it being an obscene payment for any individual, there is also an issue of unfairness to the non-established EPL teams. He’s been in the role for 19 years, so why should Villa, Leeds etc., etc., etc., who have all benefited at different times, all be excluded from this payment?
Surely it would be fairer to take £5,000,000 / (20 teams x 19 seasons) to give a £13,157.89 per season payment based on the time spent in the league. Therefore the ever-presents (Man U, Spurs etc.) pay £250,000, whilst we pay £52,632 and Hudds half that?

The club aren’t writing a cheque for £250k as such. Rather they have agreed that the central football piggy bank (the premier league) can make this extra payment from funds which the clubs might otherwise have dibs on.

From the small(ish) print:
“Scudamore, 59, will receive the money from central Premier League funds rather than the proposed £250,000 from each club — even though each club will effectively lose that amount each.”

So in essence, what’s happening seems to be that the overheads of the EPL will increase by £1.66M each season, meaning there is less left in the pot to distribute to whichever clubs happen to be in the EPL that season.

Since it was a vote by the EPL members its probably impossible that any one club could refuse to pay it because technically, they aren’t actually making a payment.

If I were a local charity struggling to raise much-needed funds, then I'd be firing off a letter to Jeff tomorrow, asking for a modest contribution, say a couple of grand. Hard to see how the club could possibly refuse.

Funny enough I’ve been in that position. And having been in it I have some empathy with the club.

We were picked as an official club charity for last season. As a relatively small, local charity we were delighted. Thought “this is it, the club is loaded, we’ll do well here”. Two weeks later they present the outgoing charity with about £3k. Three. Thousand. Pounds.

Now, we’ve got old dears running coffee mornings who can summon up more than that so we were a bit surprised. Fast forward one year and there we are getting our cheque for about £4K.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/charities-speak-of-their-time-as-afcb-partners

The maths suggest that’s rubbish so why am I not bitter? Well what we learned early on is that the club gets hundreds of requests from local charities. Like lottery winners who go public, everyone is trying to tap them up for a few bob since (a) the club has lots of income and (b) each request might only be for a couple of grand. They have to say no because they can’t satisfy them all.

So they run the charity partnership but that also isn’t an open purse. Rather than them handing over loads of cash, they give you the platform to be able to do it yourself. Exposure, PR, links to the community... and that’s before you factor in the likelihood that some of the players will take a shine to you (hello Steve Cook :love:). It’s the old proverb about giving a man a fish vs teaching him how to fish.

Anyway, I know I’ve gone off topic but just thought it might be interesting to share some insight.

Funny enough I’ve been in that position. And having been in it I have some empathy with the club.

We were picked as an official club charity for last season. As a relatively small, local charity we were delighted. Thought “this is it, the club is loaded, we’ll do well here”. Two weeks later they present the outgoing charity with about £3k. Three. Thousand. Pounds.

Now, we’ve got old dears running coffee mornings who can summon up more than that so we were a bit surprised. Fast forward one year and there we are getting our cheque for about £4K.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/charities-speak-of-their-time-as-afcb-partners

The maths suggest that’s rubbish so why am I not bitter? Well what we learned early on is that the club gets hundreds of requests from local charities. Like lottery winners who go public, everyone is trying to tap them up for a few bob since (a) the club has lots of income and (b) each request might only be for a couple of grand. They have to say no because they can’t satisfy them all.

So they run the charity partnership but that also isn’t an open purse. Rather than them handing over loads of cash, they give you the platform to be able to do it yourself. Exposure, PR, links to the community... and that’s before you factor in the likelihood that some of the players will take a shine to you (hello Steve Cook :love:). It’s the old proverb about giving a man a fish vs teaching him how to fish.

Anyway, I know I’ve gone off topic but just thought it might be interesting to share some insight.

Good post.

Also, I love Steve Cook.

Papers saying that Bruce Buck passed it off without a vote. Apparently the old saying 'The buck stops here' doesn't apply, as the Bucks seem to be being given out rather freely to those who don't need them!
:smoke:

;