Simpson & Mepham

NWCherries98

Fans' Favourite
Seeing as this now might be the CB pairing of choice for December, it would be nice for the crowd to be a bit more supportive in the next home game. No one was happy to see Ake coming off, and it’s a tricky situation to manage, trying to sort the shape out against a team like Liverpool with two young defenders getting into the game. We should see how they fare with some actual training and preparation for the next game.

Especially where Simpson is concerned; personally I rate him about the same as Mepham, and other than that pass out from the back I actually thought he had a decent game, considering it’s, you know, arguably the best team in the world he’s defending against?? Plus he’s an academy graduate as well; do we not want to see him do well?

I’ve seen a lot of talk on “anyone but Simpson” and “try Billing in defence because he’s tall”, personally I’d much rather have a balanced defence of Simpson and Mepham playing on their natural sides than just trying out the tall bloke at the back!

It’s a shame Kelly got injured again (was it on England U21 duty?) because he’d be the obvious replacement for Ake

I’m not sure I like the idea of moving either Francis or Mepham to LCB so assuming a back 4, it’s Simpson plus one of Francis or Mepham

Let’s be honest here lads, we ain’t winning a league 1 game with Simpson and Mepham at cb, let alone a bleeding premiere league game. Would love to see them both do well but the pair of them gift goals like it’s going out of fashion.

That one moment of caught napping just after Ake going off cost us.

I saw the way they caught Everton out with long balls, we should have been switched on.

For me, it has to be all three of them for Chelsea... Franno playing as the sweeper to keep everyone playing in their natural roles..

If it is to be 4 then it’s Simpson and Franno. Will be harsh on Mepham but we have to play our CBs in their right positions, and Franno is first on the sheet from those three.

For me, it has to be all three of them for Chelsea... Franno playing as the sweeper to keep everyone playing in their natural roles..

If it is to be 4 then it’s Simpson and Franno. Will be harsh on Mepham but we have to play our CBs in their right positions, and Franno is first on the sheet from those three.

He played left side of the centre back pair at Brentford. He's a bit like Steve Cook in that respect. So it would be Mepham and Francis, assuming Stacey is available at right back.

Lets hope Diego Rico doesn't pick up another booking and a suspension...

For Gods sake. . if Mepham and Simpson read these posts....what would that do for their confidence....
...Eddie signed them ...we are in a Crisis.....mosts fans are deriding Francis as being 'past it' ..these guys are 'before it' .ok but they might just crack it..... Rico not long back...was being written off.
If we put them both in....they will support each other on and off the field and go all out to prove their worth....support them....they will be ok v Brighton...Watford...Burnley etc.
and learn from mistakes in other games v Chelsea etc.
We have to support them...not write them off prematurely!
When Brooks is back....and with Stacey there will be a fresh young guns era to kick us forward!

Last edited:
When Brooks is back........sounds like he is nowhere near ready to come back..
Perhaps a camio appearance near the end of the season, then with a full pre season behind him, be ready to take the Championship by storm ;)

When Brooks is back........sounds like he is nowhere near ready to come back..
Perhaps a camio appearance near the end of the season, then with a full pre season behind him, be ready to take the Championship by storm ;)
When is he back?
Too many relying on him turning it all around.
A couple of bad games and everyone will say his injury has blunted his play.

;