Jack Simpson

Very happy for him. Always been impressed with his play. Just watched his interview on COWS and he comes across as quite intelligent too. Who knows how good he could be in 4 years?

I like Mings a lot as a player, but I actually think Simpson has been better than him in his few appearances this season. Shame he isn't right footed; you can see EH was trying to get him comfortable on the right in pre-season/some cup games(??).

I think everyone seems to have forgotten about Corey Jordan too, who was ahead of Simpson a couple of seasons ago, is younger AND right footed. I hope he recovers fully from that injury he had because he looked really impressive.

Nice to see Jack join up with Lewis in the U21 squad. Hopefully he'll continue to improve and get some decent game time with AFCB. What is his favoured position, I've not seen him play?

Nice to see Jack join up with Lewis in the U21 squad. Hopefully he'll continue to improve and get some decent game time with AFCB. What is his favoured position, I've not seen him play?

CB, left sided ideally. Like Ake, and Mings.
Used to be a central midfielder in his younger days, before the club decided he'd make a good ball playing defender (as is our MO)

Very happy for Jack. But . . . how ever did he get spotted by the England staff when he never plays for us?
I thought the rule was you couldn't make the squad if you're not playing for your team -- or is that only for the senior team?

CB, left sided ideally. Like Ake, and Mings.
Used to be a central midfielder in his younger days, before the club decided he'd make a good ball playing defender (as is our MO)
Thanks, I hoped he was right side and could stand in for Adam Smith. Need to get right sided FB cover in the window then?

Very happy for Jack. But . . . how ever did he get spotted by the England staff when he never plays for us?
I thought the rule was you couldn't make the squad if you're not playing for your team -- or is that only for the senior team?

Mostly the senior side, there are exceptions (more now than in years gone by) but it's still a rarity to be playing top level senior football before you're 20. I think he was invited to train with them in the last get together as well. So must've impressed, also I think Boothroyd attended a cup game earlier in the season so looks like he wanted to keep tabs. Good on him for making the squad proper

I must say Jack Simpson impressed me again last night. Everything about him oozes class. He reads the game so well, he is calm and composed on the ball and keeps it simple.

Already an England Under 21 international, do people think its time for him to have a proper run in the premier league? If you are good enough, you are old enough and all that. Dare i say he looks more composed at times than Mings, Daniels and Cooky to some degree?

I am not saying he should dislodge Ake or Cook, but certainly in a 3 he should start. Not many of our youngsters really make it at this level, but everything i have seen of him would say he would buck that trend and is ready now!

Agree,Simpson is a good prospect for the future. However, he is not ready for the rigours, pace and intensity of the Premier League, playing week in and week out at this moment.

Agree,Simpson is a good prospect for the future. However, he is not ready for the rigours, pace and intensity of the Premier League, playing week in and week out at this moment.

Why? Back that up...

He proved last night up against some of the best attackers in the league he can handle it? He’s played a full 90 mins for England U21’s. He’s so composed on the ball even when he doesn’t have time or space. He’s more than ready if needed

Very true "you never win anything with kids" according to Alan Hansen about Man Utd in the mid 90's. now what happened to Fergies kids - I wonder !!!!
As usual Smhinto's doom and gloom.

He is 22 now - not 18 or 19 - Age is not a factor - plenty of Premier League ready defenders are 22 or under even.

This is my point - because he cost nothing and is one of our own, there is an immediate impression that he is "not ready for week in week out football".

Nonsense - maybe, just maybe, we have a special player on our doorstep who cost nothing????

If he was a right sided centre half he'd be in with a real shout. Unfortunately the only poor performance I've seen from him was when he played right side, which is what we need. Was excellent last night though so great to see that he can play in a back three.

;