So Bournemouth HAVE changed their style

Tinpot Club

Star Player
Quite an interesting read this. I've felt we've been defending a bit deeper this season and looking to hit on the counter but the stats now seem to back this up

https://www.football365.com/news/tactics-teaching-and-talent-bournemouths-transformation

Also some more surprising stats in here too. Prior to this season we ranked as one of the highest at shots outside the box - I mention that as this is against the perception some of our fans had. Interesting to see our passes and possession going down each season.

I wonder if teams still set up against us on the basis we are a possession based side? If teams figure out that we no longer are, we might find life more difficult. To be honest, I think a lot of sides will be too stubborn to adapt

Great read!

I think it's good that we are able to play different styles. Means that we have the ability to adapt our style in-game and become much more difficult to play against

It's been very clear we've been changing style. We don't play out from the back all the time as that got so dangerous and we now have the speed to counter attack.

Brilliant article. Puts the nonsense that we talk to shame really.

Some of us used to moan about Ake’s positioning and going walkabout at the time though.

It’s very true that he has all but eliminated this from his game and that certainly helps defensively along with Steve Cook getting better and better in the right side of centre back.

Some of us used to moan about Ake’s positioning and going walkabout at the time though.

It’s very true that he has all but eliminated this from his game and that certainly helps defensively along with Steve Cook getting better and better in the right side of centre back.

I was one of those whingers, really didn't understand how he got every player of the month award. I figured that it was Chelsea fans just like we had Arsenal fans getting it for Wilshere every month the previous year. But yeah where before his athleticism saved him a lot, I don't see him getting into as much trouble as before. Kinda feel sorry sorry for him with Holland though. Van Dijk and De Ligt are both next level defenders, so unless they are playing 3 at the back or there are injuries he's not likely to get to play as often as he could. Typical, Holand been poo for years and now suddenly they have genuine class in his position

Yeah to be fair the criticism of Ake and Lewis Cook have been mentioned by many, including me. I was more referring to the criticism of our lot trying to walk it and and not shooting from outside the box. Also the idea that we are no good at set pieces.

Reactions: DJ
Strangely though that first preseason, Ake and Cook playing in a 4 and 8 respectively looked really good together

Yeah to be fair the criticism of Ake and Lewis Cook have been mentioned by many, including me. I was more referring to the criticism of our lot trying to walk it and and not shooting from outside the box. Also the idea that we are no good at set pieces.

There are many misconceptions in the game. I certainly wouldn’t have guessed that we used to be so high on the shots from distance stats. But then we did use to have hit and hope Matt Ritchie back then.

Well written article, for a change, opened my eyes to how the team has evolved. Not going to matches precludes me from seeing the whole picture but even I sensed there was a difference. But it's obviously more involved than I had suspected. Nice work from the coaching team to tighten things up where needed. (Burnley aside)!

Very good article. i think the style has been evolving over last season though as I was concerned at the start of last season that we seemed to be letting teams come on at us more than I liked. Watford was a good example of this as we were sitting quite deep. Some games we were very patient and sought the right opportunity to attack. Huddersfield at home was another good example where they had a lot of ball and pressure but we kept hitting them on the break. Maybe it’s been a work in progress and personnel didn’t quite suit last season but with another season of refinement plus the right players: wee man on fire, brooks ghosting in late and Wilson creating assists rather than waiting for chances, we seem to have the right personnel. Lerma is the remaining piece of the jigsaw in this respect to break up play and get the ball and quickly recycled forwards.

Some teams haven't cottoned on and still mark our defenders expecting the keeper to roll the ball out, which was a real predictable weakness of ours about a year ago. But we don't play like that anymore. Any club which comes here and tries it have bad managers because they don't realise we've changed.

I wonder if Hughes has?

The key thing for me about having less possession is that this is a tactical choice rather than not being good enough to keep the ball.

I think if we wanted to, we could still keep hold of the ball if we wanted to take the sting out of a game. But we are now a lot more comfortable without the ball which brings a different dimension to our play

;