So now we have FourFourTwo's view of our worst player of the year....and it's a bit of a surprise....

adam0102

Fans' Favourite
Bournemouth: Asmir Begovic
Begovic’s arrival was the most encouraging moment of Bournemouth’s summer, because he promised goalkeeping security that Artur Boruc couldn’t provide.
It hasn’t worked out that way, though. While becoming a back-up keeper at a big club is often presented as a no-loss scenario, spending so long on the Chelsea bench appears to have damaged the Bosnian. A formerly reliable and imposing player has become meek and insecure, with handling errors and soft goals polluting the second half of his season.

...why do they even bother with this rubbish?...

pure guesswork and just picking out a name...we had many worse performers over the season, but it is unfair to name them probably!

They are all heroes keeping us in the PL. Some fantastic saves from Begovic!
Can't remember who it was but some player at one of grounds this season took the ball off Salahs feet with ease when he was about to score! That will happen again.
Begovic will save games and points for us again!

The author writes for a number of publications.

This is the heading for this article.

Rated! YOUR Premier League club's best and worst player of 2017/18

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...t-and-worst-player-201718#hIrewpKR5jZC3toy.99

Doing a bit of research on the author I came upon this article written by him, it might be of interest for our older fans who were at the FA Cup game 6th round against Manchester United in 1957 and remember seeing this young Manchester United and England player who was tragically killed in the Munich Air Crash before he reached his true potential.

As well as Manchester United, England lost some good young players in that air crash.

Personally I found this a well written article.

http://www.football365.com/news/in-search-of-duncan-edwards-and-an-enduring-love

Last edited:
Another moving article about Duncan Edwards here
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...reatest-footballer-who-ever-lived-778480.html

I still think of it as a privilege to have seen him play in the flesh at Dean Court that day, even though in truth I don't remember too much of the game itself.
To a ten year old who worshipped him from afar Duncan did seem just like a Greek God.
If Bobby Charlton says he was the greatest player he ever saw, who are we to argue?

He hasn't been our worst player but he has been a big disappointment for me, given how much we forked out for him. He has certainly cost us points. Remember his disastrous slip-up at home to West Ham when he fell over with the ball, and let them get their third goal, and his positioning of defensive walls especially in the last minute away to Leicester,takes a lot to be desired. There have been other poor moments as well, which led me to believe during the season he is very much overrated.

Reactions: DJ
The truth, as always, is something in the middle. He has been decent but in my opinion not a trade up on Borucs performance the year before. Worth buying though as it strengthened our keeper pool as our current reserve is better than Federici.

He is also a good deal younger than Boruc, so even if not massively better, a stronger base moving forward.

He hasn't been our worst player but he has been a big disappointment for me, given how much we forked out for him. He has certainly cost us points. Remember his disastrous slip-up at home to West Ham when he fell over with the ball, and let them get their third goal, and his positioning of defensive walls especially in the last minute away to Leicester,takes a lot to be desired. There have been other poor moments as well, which led me to believe during the season he is very much overrated.

Nothing to do with the conditions v West Ham then? Sorry but I think you are an @r$€h0|€.

Overall I don't think he's been poor, I just think he has been no better than Boruc was the previous season. I think that's the disappointment.

I think he's been very good. Boruc in matches could range from a 3/10 to a 10/10. Begovic is much more consistent, but maybe has had fewer standout performances. But maybe they stand out less because he's not making catastrophic cockups every month.

He only cost £10 million, for a premier league winning goalkeeper with bags of experience that's a pretty good deal. I think some of you are being a tad unfair.

He definitely improved last month of the season. Perhaps his sharpness is coming back after so long as a backup

agree NWCherries98 - Begovic has been an upgrade overall on Boruc, I remember many conversations about his dodgy moments last season [ Spurs at home anyone?? ], which seem to have been forgotten now. Bego is steadier than Artur....a lot of 7/10 performances....maybe not many 9 or 10's....but also hardly any massive bad games either.

I'm not Boruc's biggest fan, but I would play an IN FORM Boruc ahead of and in form Begovic. However, Boruc is rarely at the top of his game and has a proper brain fart most weeks, so Begovic gets the nod on pure consistency.

agree NWCherries98 - Begovic has been an upgrade overall on Boruc, I remember many conversations about his dodgy moments last season [ Spurs at home anyone?? ], which seem to have been forgotten now. Bego is steadier than Artur....a lot of 7/10 performances....maybe not many 9 or 10's....but also hardly any massive bad games either.

Yep, everyone remembers Watford followed by Spurs - nearly 3 damned years ago now though! Begovic has had a few dodgy moments this season, possibly more than Boruc last season. But I accept we needed to start preparing for a more stable, longer term keeper. Begovic has played average to reasonably well overall this season. That's not bad, but I honestly was expecting a little more. He did well at the end of the season.

;