Some thoughts...

kirsikka

UTC Legend
I'm back after six months without posting. Didn't even notice I was gone, did you? Never mind...

You didn't ask for it but this is my take on events:

The manager
Parker seems alright. Time will tell but a decent start. It's rare that a legendary club manager is followed by a good one. It normally takes a couple of appointments to get it right. That doesn't excuse last season's appointments, or the treatment of another club legend JT, but by pinning their flag to the Parker mast 12 months ago and sticking to it those in charge have made a big statement.

The list of managerial appointments since Blake was in charge:
Bradbury (he gets a free pass on this one since there was no money and promoting from within seemed the best option)
Groves (absolute shocker)
Howe (reappointed allegedly after being ordered by Demin to get him back. No credit to Blake there)
Tindall (given the potential options, was lazy and a poor choice)
Woodgate (given the job as a placeholder whilst they hoped Fulham went down. I wonder what the plan was if they'd managed to stay up?)

It isn't a pretty list but if Parker does the job then you can give them some credit. If he fails then surely questions should be asked about their abilities to do their job.

On Parker, I know there have been questions about the subs but I think that's been a pure function of the bench. The first game there was barely a single AFCB FL minute of experience between all the subs. Hard to take off an experienced player and throw one of them into the cauldron of a match when half of the rest of the team is also young. I suspect we'll see far more creative use of subs once we get a few players back.

The squad
The current squad has lost 14 players that were part of the first team squad in the PL. It currently has 4 players that have come in as a replacement. There's no doubt it was due some pruning but to be 10 players short of where we were puts a huge burden on the youngsters. One they may welcome but could bite us if one of them struggles to adapt as the season goes on.

A word on them so far - they've been an absolute credit to the club and themselves since they came in. However, we shouldn't be relying on 5 of them starting week in week out (unless we don't go up this season). It's a baptism of fire and so far they've survived but we need some of the others back so at least we have realistic options on the bench.

I've seen comments from opposition fans about how we're playing 6 PL players and they shouldn't expect to beat at team like that. Reality is we've been playing a 4th choice PL keeper, 3rd and 4th choice PL CBs, a 3rd choice PL striker. Billing, Brooks and Smith are the only ones I'd say they have a good shout on. Outside of that lot its one Championship player and then a group with barely a single AFCB FL minute between them. If I was the supporter of another team, that's a side I'd be disappointed to draw with.

Brooks needs to take a long look at himself. He may still be relatively young in footballer terms but in this squad he's one of the more experienced and a senior pro. With no genuine options on the bench for Parker, he should have taken a step back. Instead he behaved like an idiot. I hope he learns from it.

Transfers
Still a long way to go so patience is the key.

Anthony has done more than enough to stake a claim as one of four wide forwards so if Danjuma goes, we need a replacement. If Danjuma stays I'm happy with our wide forward selection.

CCV was great but if we're playing four at the back, and see Kelly as a CB, then I'm happy with what we have. 4th choice CB is pretty much ideal for Ibsen Rossi at this stage. Minutes here and there through the season to ease him into the first team picture. If S Cook goes, then we need a good replacement, CCV could be that man. I don't understand or see the need for Cahill. If Kelly is seen as a LB who can fill in at CB then maybe we need a signing.

LB is still an issue with only one loan player as a natural LB (depending on Kelly). How they pigeon hole Kelly decides where we need a LB or a CB in my eyes.

Striker is a big problem. The club is so invested in Solanke and we don't have the budget to sign anyone who would expect to immediately dislodge him. I think the best option would be a promising young striker from L1, if there's a good one out there. Someone prepared to initially play second fiddle but know they'd be on the bench coming on in plenty of games and would back themselves to develop and dislodge Solanke over time. Either that, or someone from overseas with a similar mindset. Incidentally, none of that is meant as a slight on Solanke.

For the keeper, the Norwegian chap is presumably in as backup and seems a decent option for that. My guess is if Woodman comes in on loan, Travers will go to a L1 club for a season as first choice with a recall clause, as with Swindon last season. He's done ok but it's a big risk to try and blood a young keeper when margins for promotion will likely be very narrow.

So, I make that:
1 x keeper
1 x CB or LB
1 x striker
1 x wide forward (only if Danjuma leaves - remember the same thing happened with Buendia at Norwich last season pre-deadline and he ended up staying as nobody would pony up and he was key for them)

Finances
It does feel we've make swingeing cuts but I'm still not sure it will be enough. I'm expecting another huge loss last season. I hope Max is still in for the long haul as another failed season and we'll need him to dig really deep.

If we do go up, I'd prefer it if we signed not a sausage. Do the old Charlton method of taking the money to sort out the finances and accepting the relegation. We've seen the PL. It was fun but I'd rather not start on that treadmill again as in the end you will come off it. Keep the cash until we're on a solid footing and the training ground is built (yes... I know...).

The Premier League
Once again, so many teams I'd enjoy seeing relegated it almost feels like I can't lose. Doubt I'll watch any matches though. Instead, I'll enjoy the misery of a few from afar.

Last edited:
Some good thoughts there.

Not sure I agree on the need for a LB. We've got Davis and Zemura as naturals in that position with Kelly and even Smith available to cover. I'd prefer resources directed somewhere where we are less well stocked.

I agree that with Cook, Mepham, Kelly and Ibsen Rossi we're pretty well set at CB for this level. Therefore, again, as much as I like CCV, I'd prefer resources directed elsewhere.

I've mentioned it before, but for me those priority areas are striker (agree with your views on that) and on the right wing. Even if Danjuma goes, Stan and Anthony can cover the left but competition for Brooks is looking woefully short. So two more signings needed for me.

Zemura is a decent shout. He looks good going forward but I thought he was pretty shaky defensively against WBA. However, that's understandable on so many levels making it very hard to judge yet.

It's perfectly possible that the feeling will be Davis will be first choice with Zemura as back up and, should he struggle, we drop in Kelly or Smith as a makeshift LB until the next window.

Zemura is a decent shout. He looks good going forward but I thought he was pretty shaky defensively against WBA. However, that's understandable on so many levels making it very hard to judge yet.

It's perfectly possible that the feeling will be Davis will be first choice with Zemura as back up and, should he struggle, we drop in Kelly or Smith as a makeshift LB until the next window.

I agree, Zemura did look a little lightweight defensively against WBA but I thought he was more solid against Forest and will, hopefully, only get better with experience. As you say, if the duo of him and Davis doesn't work then Jan might be the time to change it. I just think, with limited resources, we've got bigger priorities elsewhere right now.

Welcome back K.

Having only 1 centre forward in Solanke is a huge concern. Even if he is inevitably first choice regardless of who we might be able to bring in, Parker's system is asking a lot of Solanke / that lone position. 46 games of a Championship + cups, Solanke even if he stays fit is just not going to be able to provide the energy required all season. Never mind if he gets an injury (and the more minutes we push him through, the more likely injury will be).

All the midfield goals we've seen so far just don't happen without a fit and energetic centre forward. And there's a reason we haven't looked nearly as threatening in the latter stages of games thus far, when Dom is visibly tiring and/or has moved to plug other gaps on the pitch.

Selling Surridge for that price was a good deal, but his replacement is a critical signing that we simply must make. There will be forward options out there (League One?) who allow us to replace Surridge with a profit, but we can't pocket all the Surridge cash and expect any success this season.

Welcome back Kirsikka......agree regarding a forward .... actually think we're ok for full backs on both flanks....I'd love us to try and bring in someone like Callum O'Hare.....can play on either wing as a 10 or an 8.....just quality.

Some of us missed you, just like we miss Phil and Ted, Redhouse, Cummings fan, Lost in Brum, Andy Sith and Bill McGarry's Cherries ( what ever became of him I wonder) : )

I'm back after six months without posting. Didn't even notice I was gone, did you? Never mind...

You didn't ask for it but this is my take on events:

The manager
Parker seems alright. Time will tell but a decent start. It's rare that a legendary club manager is followed by a good one. It normally takes a couple of appointments to get it right. That doesn't excuse last season's appointments, or the treatment of another club legend JT, but by pinning their flag to the Parker mast 12 months ago and sticking to it those in charge have made a big statement.

The list of managerial appointments since Blake was in charge:
Bradbury (he gets a free pass on this one since there was no money and promoting from within seemed the best option)
Groves (absolute shocker)
Howe (reappointed allegedly after being ordered by Demin to get him back. No credit to Blake there)
Tindall (given the potential options, was lazy and a poor choice)
Woodgate (given the job as a placeholder whilst they hoped Fulham went down. I wonder what the plan was if they'd managed to stay up?)

It isn't a pretty list but if Parker does the job then you can give them some credit. If he fails then surely questions should be asked about their abilities to do their job.

On Parker, I know there have been questions about the subs but I think that's been a pure function of the bench. The first game there was barely a single AFCB FL minute of experience between all the subs. Hard to take off an experienced player and throw one of them into the cauldron of a match when half of the rest of the team is also young. I suspect we'll see far more creative use of subs once we get a few players back.

The squad
The current squad has lost 14 players that were part of the first team squad in the PL. It currently has 4 players that have come in as a replacement. There's no doubt it was due some pruning but to be 10 players short of where we were puts a huge burden on the youngsters. One they may welcome but could bite us if one of them struggles to adapt as the season goes on.

A word on them so far - they've been an absolute credit to the club and themselves since they came in. However, we shouldn't be relying on 5 of them starting week in week out (unless we don't go up this season). It's a baptism of fire and so far they've survived but we need some of the others back so at least we have realistic options on the bench.

I've seen comments from opposition fans about how we're playing 6 PL players and they shouldn't expect to beat at team like that. Reality is we've been playing a 4th choice PL keeper, 3rd and 4th choice PL CBs, a 3rd choice PL striker. Billing, Brooks and Smith are the only ones I'd say they have a good shout on. Outside of that lot its one Championship player and then a group with barely a single AFCB FL minute between them. If I was the supporter of another team, that's a side I'd be disappointed to draw with.

Brooks needs to take a long look at himself. He may still be relatively young in footballer terms but in this squad he's one of the more experienced and a senior pro. With no genuine options on the bench for Parker, he should have taken a step back. Instead he behaved like an idiot. I hope he learns from it.

Transfers
Still a long way to go so patience is the key.

Anthony has done more than enough to stake a claim as one of four wide forwards so if Danjuma goes, we need a replacement. If Danjuma stays I'm happy with our wide forward selection.

CCV was great but if we're playing four at the back, and see Kelly as a CB, then I'm happy with what we have. 4th choice CB is pretty much ideal for Ibsen Rossi at this stage. Minutes here and there through the season to ease him into the first team picture. If S Cook goes, then we need a good replacement, CCV could be that man. I don't understand or see the need for Cahill. If Kelly is seen as a LB who can fill in at CB then maybe we need a signing.

LB is still an issue with only one loan player as a natural LB (depending on Kelly). How they pigeon hole Kelly decides where we need a LB or a CB in my eyes.

Striker is a big problem. The club is so invested in Solanke and we don't have the budget to sign anyone who would expect to immediately dislodge him. I think the best option would be a promising young striker from L1, if there's a good one out there. Someone prepared to initially play second fiddle but know they'd be on the bench coming on in plenty of games and would back themselves to develop and dislodge Solanke over time. Either that, or someone from overseas with a similar mindset. Incidentally, none of that is meant as a slight on Solanke.

For the keeper, the Norwegian chap is presumably in as backup and seems a decent option for that. My guess is if Woodman comes in on loan, Travers will go to a L1 club for a season as first choice with a recall clause, as with Swindon last season. He's done ok but it's a big risk to try and blood a young keeper when margins for promotion will likely be very narrow.

So, I make that:
1 x keeper
1 x CB or LB
1 x striker
1 x wide forward (only if Danjuma leaves - remember the same thing happened with Buendia at Norwich last season pre-deadline and he ended up staying as nobody would pony up and he was key for them)

Finances
It does feel we've make swingeing cuts but I'm still not sure it will be enough. I'm expecting another huge loss last season. I hope Max is still in for the long haul as another failed season and we'll need him to dig really deep.

If we do go up, I'd prefer it if we signed not a sausage. Do the old Charlton method of taking the money to sort out the finances and accepting the relegation. We've seen the PL. It was fun but I'd rather not start on that treadmill again as in the end you will come off it. Keep the cash until we're on a solid footing and the training ground is built (yes... I know...).

The Premier League
Once again, so many teams I'd enjoy seeing relegated it almost feels like I can't lose. Doubt I'll watch any matches though. Instead, I'll enjoy the misery of a few from afar.

I noticed. Your match reports were missed by me.

Hi Kirsikka...welcome back to the 'madhouse'

Some good depth analysis there...think that Scott is here for the longer term planning and not sure he has the same expectations on his shoulders as Tindall and then Woodgate had. The squad is in a metamorphic state and it is good to see younger players who AFCB have invested in developing coming to the fore.

Travers, Zemura, Kilkenny, Ibsen Rossi, and Anthony look to have a promising career in professional football ahead of them and hopefully Scott will give them a decent chance.

Coupled with the maturing types in Kelly and Stacey we have an energetic heartbeat in the squad...

If we can get some loans who are looking to develop too like Davis then even better.

Solanke does need some support up front as I don't think that Brooks and Billing will be able to chip in enough goals to push us to the top six over the season.

Priority is a striker and goalkeeper as I think that we are covered well in defence and midfield?

Some good depth analysis there...think that Scott is here for the longer term planning and not sure he has the same expectations on his shoulders as Tindall and then Woodgate had. The squad is in a metamorphic state and it is good to see younger players who AFCB have invested in developing coming to the fore.

Absolutely agree with this... Initially my thoughts were that Parker would only come here if he was given money and saw the hunger for a return at the second time of asking... However, as the summer rolls on, I can see that maybe his remit is to rebuild and not to return... Quite simply, he really is here for the project of getting the club and team back on a forward facing trajectory, but realising for that to happen, some hardships need to be endured.

It is obvious now that we're rebuilding both on and off the park, and the more I think about it, the more I welcome it. We seem slightly more balanced off the park with Eddie not calling all teh shots now... We've all but shifted the huge wage bill with 14 players (most of which high-earners) going out the door, and we've been clever in slowly chipping away at bringing players in with Pearson and Marcondes looking like exceptional free signings... It's also awesome to see the youngsters getting some decent minutes now, after being on the verge for so long but always getting overlooked. That is what the pressure of PL football does I guess... Every moment is too big a moment to chance inexperience...

I'm really hoping that discussions with Parker were for something like a 3 year plan that involved consolidation, rebuilding, and then pushing again, and that he'll be given relative freedoms to do this... The only stipulation being that we remain competitive in this league and compete towards the top of the table...

In terms of signings I agree with the masses in that I think a forward, a keeper and a winger are key... Defensively we 'should' be ok, with several options in each position... It's up top where we look very fragile...

Good to have you bak Kirsikka ...

Good synopsis and good to have your reasoning back.

I am hoping David will be the LB you say we need and he in turn pushes Zemura on.

Much now depends on Danjuma's replacement. If we can cover Solanke and Brooks with someone in the style of lots of modern front players (not Greenwood but that style) then I think one player is all that is needed, until Jan

I particularly like that you thinking ahead to whatever happens next season. That's why personally getting CCV and selling Cook would be my preference, so that all the players have scope to improve next year to remove the need to buy to stay up.

My only contention is the 'kids' all joined or were retained at a time when we were PL, so the club believes they can make that level. If we were still there, I doubt anyone would disagree that we should be loaning them into the Championship at this time of their development, in fact Davis joined Leeds no doubt when they were not in PL, probably not taken by PL clubs, so the only concern is how long we can manage with so many at one time. I don't think Parker will need to for much longer but I think if we don't lose faith they will play a huge role. Plus this year's promotional total will be on the low side judging by how the financial effect of Covid is levelling out this division.

;