Southampton v AFC Bournemouth

Can't imagine this game not involving a penalty or two and more than a few bookings.

As long as it’s not like this, what a terrible afternoon sitting at St Mary’s watching this, except for the first minute when Feeney hit the post.

Southampton beat south coast neighbours Bournemouth in the sides' first league meeting for 50 years as Rickie Lambert scored twice from the penalty spot.

Bournemouth's Liam Feeney hit the post early on but when Rhoys Wiggins slipped and handled on the ground, Lambert smashed his penalty past Shwan Jalal.

After the break, Marvin Bartley tripped Morgan Schneiderlin and Lambert made no mistake with his second spot-kick.

Cherries defender Adam Smith was sent off for a second booking late on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9036445.stm

Very remote worse case scenario just so we know:
If Saints beat us and Everton and Swansea- 38 points +then a better goal diff!
All the others get to 39 .
Swansea- win v Chelsea and Stoke and a point or three v Us - 40/42
We might need a result at Burnley!!
Bugger this i'm going to mow the lawn!

Very remote worse case scenario just so we know:
If Saints beat us and Everton and Swansea- 38 points +then a better goal diff!
All the others get to 39 .
Swansea- win v Chelsea and Stoke and a point or three v Us - 40/42
We might need a result at Burnley!!
Bugger this i'm going to mow the lawn!

Jeez Bill you'll turn me to drink at this rate, and I'm not supposed to do that until Saturday!!

One poster on their MB.

Funny one this, build up from our side is quite flat having lost the semi final and majority of the fan base resigned to relegation as a done deal, in someways the pressure is off now, we’ve stopped hoping and expectations are at rock bottom. Most of the lads I was chatting to at Leicester were talking about next years away days in the Championship.

The fact Bournemouth fans are so excited about relegating us shows how one sided the ‘rivalry ‘ is, i remember putting money in their buckets on more than one occasion , and our signing of Neil Moss to bail them out, time to call in a favour this weekend as repayment. They haven’t finished above us in the league since the mid 50s so fair play this must be a landmark season for them.

They’ve never scored at St Mary’s so that is bound to happen. My money is on Defoe.

We did score at the Dell in the league, is was 1960, but not at St Mary’s as mentioned and we scored 3 goals, unfortunately they scored 4. Also scored in the League Cup in 1987, against at the Dell.

Like the pic in answer to this post on page 4. :grinning:

Just bought a ticket. Absolute madness, but I think we'll win.​

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?59753-Saints-v-Boscome/page4#.WuHCdubTWhA

Last edited:
...all in good fun eh?...no pressure on us really as we are safe (especially after we beat Swansea and take a point from Burnley!)

Finished mowing the lawn!
New Afcb friendly angle....... it's all about Swansea mainly plus Huddersfield and Brighton parking fleets of buses in all four of their games!

Sometimes it feels like our fanbase, myself included, want to win this one too much, and it creates pressure?

I guess thats what years of being a 'harmless' sister' does to you! :)
I have two grand-daughters (sisters). The older one is a happy easy-going girl who doesn't really bother that she's not doing too well at school, as long as she's happy in life. The younger one is a feisty little madam and will do anything to get her own way. Makes everyone's lives a misery if she doesn't come out on top. AFCB need to be like my younger GD on Saturday and show the 'big sister' who's on top!
:utc:

The way Saints are doing and how the club is being run their fans would be wise not to patronise Bournemouth Poppies !!(with respect to Poppies diehards of course)

Mick Channon, Terry Painful , Matt LeTissues at the ready, Ron Davies, Martin Shivers, Lawry McJackanory, ....your boys are in the biggest and most Dangerous Non-Derby this side of Hell

Derby or not .....this match does feel a bit different...losing would sting a bit!.......incidentally does anyone know how the word 'DERBY' came into football?......I know the Derby [the horse race] was named after a toss of a coin between Lord Derby and Lord Bunbury but i can't see the obvious link with football.

One poster on their MB.

Funny one this, build up from our side is quite flat having lost the semi final and majority of the fan base resigned to relegation as a done deal, in someways the pressure is off now, we’ve stopped hoping and expectations are at rock bottom. Most of the lads I was chatting to at Leicester were talking about next years away days in the Championship.

The fact Bournemouth fans are so excited about relegating us shows how one sided the ‘rivalry ‘ is, i remember putting money in their buckets on more than one occasion , and our signing of Neil Moss to bail them out, time to call in a favour this weekend as repayment. They haven’t finished above us in the league since the mid 50s so fair play this must be a landmark season for them.

They’ve never scored at St Mary’s so that is bound to happen. My money is on Defoe.

We did score at the Dell in the league, is was 1960, but not at St Mary’s as mentioned and we scored 3 goals, unfortunately they scored 4. Also scored in the League Cup in 1987, against at the Dell.

Like the pic in answer to this post on page 4. :grinning:

Just bought a ticket. Absolute madness, but I think we'll win.​

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?59753-Saints-v-Boscome/page4#.WuHCdubTWhA

Build up "quite flat?" - their full back literally calls the game a cup final! :cool:
If that's quite a flat build up, I'd like to hear what they say about important games.

...can't help thinking that they would rather not be playing us at this juncture, as all of their remaining games are vital to their survival and the sheer shame of losing to us as we are an insignificance to them must be unbearable!

Derby or not .....this match does feel a bit different...losing would sting a bit!.......incidentally does anyone know how the word 'DERBY' came into football?......I know the Derby [the horse race] was named after a toss of a coin between Lord Derby and Lord Bunbury but i can't see the obvious link with football.

It is widely reported that the phrase originates from the town of Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England. There, since as early as the 12th century, two teams from opposite ends of the town play a rough and tumble football/rugby type of game called the Royal Shrovetide Football Match. The match is between the 'uppers' and the 'downers' - townspeople from opposite sides of the river that runs through the town. The object of the game is to get a painted leather ball into the opposition's goal by fair means or foul. You might get a flavour of the scene from the fact that the goals are three miles apart and that one of the (few) rules is that 'unnecessary' violence is frowned upon. This type of game used to be common on feast days throughout England, and this example is still played out annually at Ashbourne.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/235375.html

From Saints OS.

Mark Hughes has confirmed that captain Steven Davis will continue a frustrating spell on the sidelines as he nurses a repetitive ankle injury.

The Northern Irishman will be unavailable for this weekend's south coast showdown with Bournemouth, without a timespan placed on his return, but the manager will welcome back defender Jack Stephens, who has now served his three match suspension.

Davis Out! That's the news I wanted- played well against us before and is more committed than the others from what I've seen! More interested than their foreign players if it's ok to say that without it being misinterpreted as racism again. Northern Irish are usually reliable and tenacious for a battle of this type!

Davis Out! That's the news I wanted- played well against us before and is more committed than the others from what I've seen! More interested than their foreign players if it's ok to say that without it being misinterpreted as racism again. Northern Irish are usually reliable and tenacious for a battle of this type!

Why not just judge a player on how good he is rather than where he is from? It doesn't matter where he is from once he's on the pitch and judging people on non-relevant characteristics just leads to poor decisions being made.

For what it's worth there is absolutely no evidence behind your views - other than the fact that a player who has limited ability but is a trier, like Robbie Savage, is much less likely to make it abroad. Likewise the African Robbie Savages are never going to end up in the PL.

Same argument when people say Polish people work harder than Brits, they don't but lazy poles don't travel here to work.

;